(Inexpensive) Indian Restaurant, Lower Suhkhumvit

Spaniel

Can any one recommend a good but inexpensive Indian restaurant in the lower Sukhumvit area? Last year we ate at a Indian place on Sukhumvit Soi 11 and although it was good it was also on the expensive side. I noticed a Indian place near the entrance of Soi 8 on the left side but I don't recall the name. It appeared a bit shabby but can anyone attest to the quality of the food? Any skjuggestions appreciated.

Theres a great Indian where you are talking about at the top of SOi 8 above the Indian tailors ( yes I know there are loads if them about but if you stand on Suk looking towards lower sois you will know what I am on about!!) Big glass front, good food.

There's a few in Soi 19 that look cheap and cheerful (basic canteen stryle layout and decoration) but I don't know the prices.

There's also an Indian food counter in the food court under Robinson's with combo dishes around 150 Baht.

Edited by PattayaParent

Mrs. Balbir's on 11/1 for Northern, Dosa King (same soi) for Southern.

+1 Dosa King. Excellent Massala Dosa (and a wide range of dosas.puris etc and not expensive. If you have not tried Southern Indian food and you are not prejudiced against vegetarian food give it a whirl.

[No connection with restaurant/owner]

namuskaar , or something like that, is the restaurant at the beginning of soi 8 on the left down a tiny sub soi. I have eaten there a few times having been taken there originally by a couple of my Indian colleagues . it may look a bit shabby but the food is very good top 3 Indian in BKK for me.

Edited by wordchild

all through the 90's only one for me mrs.balbir's shows how good it is if its still there.

That's also the name of the curry counter under Robinson's.

also part of her little empire along with the counter in central world and of course the restaurant on soi 11/1. Her restaurant is not cheap but the food is always v.good would also be in my top 3 for BKK

all through the 90's only one for me mrs.balbir's shows how good it is if its still there.

That's also the name of the curry counter under Robinson's.

also part of her little empire along with the counter in central world and of course the restaurant on soi 11/1. Her restaurant is not cheap but the food is always v.good would also be in my top 3 for BKK

Her 100 baht veg thali at Robinson Asoke is the best deal in town!

namuskaar , or something like that, is the restaurant at the beginning of soi 8 on the left down a tiny sub soi. I have eaten there a few times having been taken there originally by a couple of my Indian colleagues . it may look a bit shabby but the food is very good top 3 Indian in BKK for me.

Have you been there recently? I hear rumours that they've lost the chef and the place has gone downhill. Several people saying that, hopefully they're wrong.

Have you been there recently? I hear rumours that they've lost the chef and the place has gone downhill. Several people saying that, hopefully they're wrong.

no, not for about 5/6 months. i hadnt heard any of that. last time i was there the food was as per normal and the place was quite busy. Sad if thats true.

I stopped by Namuskaar this afternoon just to check out their menu and prices. Both looked ok so we will probably go there this weekend to eat. While there I was talking to the Indian woman and she said she was the owner and her husband was the cook/chef. Maybe he took over from the chef that left?

Define inexpensive.

A meal of rice, nan, curry, samosa and lassi should not be above how much?

I dont know if we will order the menu you mention but for two people I dont want to spend over B800.

We went to Namuskaar this afternoon. Very satisfied with the food and price. Two of us had Chicken Tikka, Butter Chicken, Palak Paneer, several orders of steamed rice, 1 stuffed nan, water and a lemon drink. Total B925. Will return.

Lower Sukhumvit definitely has a wealth of riches when it comes to Indian food.

Bukhara's on Suk Rd near Soi 7 has long been highly recommended. So I went there recently, and had a very good meal at quite reasonable prices. Not much on atmosphere, but a small and comfortable place. Good service and delicious food. They also do local deliveries in the area.

Namuskaar also has been quite good and inexpensive when I've eaten there in the past, though it's been quite a while... I had the card from when I was there before, and at that time, it listed a Tony (Atul Hora) as the proprietor. If you're heading into Soi 8 from the main Suk Road, Namuskaar is located in the first small pedestrian alley on the left side of the soi.

Mrs. Balbir's on Soi 11 was good food also in the past, though the setting was fancier and the prices were considerably higher. That's regarding the restaurant... Their food court operation in the basement of the Robinson's Dept. Store at Suk Soi 19 is a different deal.