Moving To Chiang Mai Soon And I'M Open For Any Tips

Jelopi

My boyfriend and I are wanting to move to Chiang Mai in a few months. After doing loads of research and some planning I'm confident that we know the basics and are prepared for the move. I am more the type of person to dive into a new culture but my boyfriend is concerned about a few little things still. I've read quite a few posts on the forums here an would like to ask a few questions of my own.

1. Are there any large differences between North, East, West, South areas of Chiang Mai? Is there a section of the city to avoid?

2. I'm aware that it is probably best to stay at a hotel until we find a place to rent, but are there any apartment rental websites I may have missed that'd be good to get an idea of prices from?

3. What is the BEST internet company?

4. Is there any tips in terms of etiquette as far as interacting with the locals? What should and shouldn't you do in your experiences?

5. Is there any villages around Chiang Mai that have internet? The reason I ask is that we would like to be very immersed in the culture but we absolutely must have a decent internet connection.

6. How much would it cost for classes to learn the Thai language?

7. Which flight company would be best to go with?

Any other tips are much appreciated! Thank you everyone for reading my boring questions.

If these questions have been asked in the past, just let me know and I will try and search for them in the archives.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty new to Chiang Mai myself, so I dont have a whole lot of knowledge to share.

However some more info about you and your boyfriend might help people make suggestions, otherwise you will get retirees suggesting what works for them,young professionals and teachers having their say and then some farang living on 10k a month under a bridge causing trouble with the whole thing degenerating into an all in brawl....

Depending on what kind of things you enjoy, or your age, better parts of the city will suit and also as most people want to be close to work (or classes, volunteering/whatever) that could also be a consideration.

3. What is the BEST internet company?

I personally use 3BB, and they are fine for me. Anecdotally the reliability of services will change depending on what area you are in and how heavily they are subscribed in that area. Some friends of mine who run a guest house have dual lines, with a different provider on each to try and stop downtime... if your internet is for work then that's always an option.

4. Is there any tips in terms of etiquette as far as interacting with the locals? What should and shouldn't you do in your experiences?

The general tips that are out there for Thai cultural awareness hold true in Chiang Mai as well. In short dont dress like a bum, dont lose your temper and put a smile on your dial.

Edited by DaBloodyMess

There are no areas in Chiang Mai that I would be worried about walking, but - like pretty much everywhere - there is petty crime that you have to be on your guard against (especially con artists preying on tourists). There is some violence too, but, if you use common sense, it is unlikely that you would have a problem with it.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'd suggest spending a full week reading back postings right here in ThaiVisa. The questions you've asked have been asked before, and there is a wealth of knowledge already here for you. You said that you've been researching, but TV is probably the very best resource for information specific to Chiang Mai. As one who has lived in Chiang Mai for 10 years, moved away for a few, and now returning, I've been spending an hour or two every day reading back posts so I can catch up with what is going on in town vis a vis Internet, shopping, repairs, housing, restaurants, pets, people, etc., etc. This site is a goldmine of information. You just need to remember that much of what is written is opinion, and that varies. In the long run it becomes easy to see patterns in the way people respond, and that gives you a good yardstick as to how their opinion may or may not be similar to yours.

• Like 1

Hi. In answer to your queries:

Q: Are there any large differences between North, East, West, South areas of Chiang Mai? Is there a section of the city to avoid?

A: In general, no. Those streets that are a little shadey should be obvious to you once you are here.

Q: I'm aware that it is probably best to stay at a hotel until we find a place to rent, but are there any apartment rental websites I may have missed that'd be good to get an idea of prices from?

A: The web sites will only give you an idea of what prices people ask for in English language real estate web sites, not out on the street reality.

Q: What is the BEST internet company?

A: Depends on the specific street/location you are living in

Q: Is there any tips in terms of etiquette as far as interacting with the locals? What should and shouldn't you do in your experiences?

A: This sort of general stuff is available in any guide book or tourist web site. Additionally, be open to new ways of doing things and don't continually make assumptions & judgments based on how things are back home.

Q: Is there any villages around Chiang Mai that have internet? The reason I ask is that we would like to be very immersed in the culture but we absolutely must have a decent internet connection.

A: Almost all have net access, but the range of available providers and account options will be more limited in some areas

Q: How much would it cost for classes to learn the Thai language?

A: As an example google on AUA Chiang Mai ... but there are many language schools and individual tutors.

Q: Which flight company would be best to go with?

A: Depends where you are coming from and obviously deals vary from one week to the next

Edited by ThailandInvestmentGuide

Whatever age range you are in the first year is a huge learning curve. There are a multitude of answers to all your questions and it has already been suggested that you study back threads for most of what you want to know, which is the best advice. Other than that, come on over, suck it and see. After all; that's what most of us did at the outset. Good luck with whatever you do and wherever you go.

1.) I live south just past the airport. Quieter and less traffic, yet 10 minutes to the heart of the city when I want. West Side is the mountians and very nice as well as the university, zoo, and some other things.Nice but limited due to the mountians in area. North, to Mae Rim, I think has more traffic problems, but many live there and it is the gateway to may nice areas. East is wide open and some nice areas, but less services IMO

2.) When you say moving here, for how long ? and what kind of apartment do you want and what is your budget ? I have stayed in 2000 Bt single room places that were very nice with other Thai working class and I have stayed in mew big 30,000 Bt. places with pool, and many services. How far out do you want to be ? How quiet ? and what kind of services near by ? In the city you find more activites geared for Tourist and Expats, but I enjoy the thai life and mixing with them. I suggest saying in all areas if you can for a week to explore. Mae Rim up north, near the Uni on the west side, Hang Dong or Mae hia on the south side, and somewhere east too to check things out, Both day and night because things change alot depending on time of day. That quiet building next door may become the Karaoke Bar at night or the quiet street a market at night.

3.) In ALL places of Thailand there are many internet providers to choose from. But speed from street to street may change so first pick where you want to live.

4.) Just treat them like you would want to be treated. Smaile and stay calm. I have been well accepted in my All Thai area. And love it here

5.) If you want more culture, seem like yess you want to be out of town a little and yes I don't know of any areas that don't have atleast 5 choices of internet in all of thailand

6.) There are Thai classes everywhere starting at under 1000 Bt ($30) a month. Thai takes time and your friends will help you too. Find and area you want to live and then the class. If you don't need the Ed visa for the class, that gives you many more options

7.) no clue

If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Thank you so much everyone, your tips are amazing. I will continue filtering through a lot of the old threads to learn as much as possible. $30 a month to learn Thai would be fantastic! A few asked our age range, we are in our 20's. I am a graphic designer and illustrator and he is a programmer I don't know if that really matters though.

The info about the different areas was very helpful. I think it would be a great idea to try living different areas. I never really thought of it, but I suppose if a place is furnished then it'll be easy to find the right place for us.

I'm comforted knowing how safe it is in Chiang Mai, we are in Canada right now and are just beginning our travels, we plan to stay for 3 years minimum. We love the Asian culture so we thought it'd be a nice place to start out.

3BB seems to be the most reliable from what I have heard, but I suppose if I got to know my neighbors they would know which internet is best? Something to toy with I suppose.

I suppose the flight company question was kind of dumb, there are a lot of them.

Again thank you everyone, I suppose a lot of it is stuff we will have to discover for ourselves, but it's great to know there is a good community of people with great advice.

If you wish to have an idea of whats for rent and where. You might check these web sites...ping property.com....jasminehomes.com....chiangmaiproperties.com....infocusrealestate.com...They all have a rental section for houses and condos..

Thank you, I will be sure to take a look at them, some are familiar but others are not.

It really helps to get a visual :D

Q: Are there any large differences between North, East, West, South areas of Chiang Mai? Is there a section of the city to avoid?

A: In general, no. Those streets that are a little shadey should be obvious to you once you are here.

Q: I'm aware that it is probably best to stay at a hotel until we find a place to rent, but are there any apartment rental websites I may have missed that'd be good to get an idea of prices from?

A: The web sites will only give you an idea of what prices people ask for in English language real estate web sites, not out on the street reality.

Q: Is there any tips in terms of etiquette as far as interacting with the locals? What should and shouldn't you do in your experiences?

A: This sort of general stuff is available in any guide book or tourist web site. Additionally, be open to new ways of doing things and don't continually make assumptions & judgments based on how things are back home.

Q: Is there any villages around Chiang Mai that have internet? The reason I ask is that we would like to be very immersed in the culture but we absolutely must have a decent internet connection.

A: Almost all have net access, but the range of available providers and account options will be more limited in some areas

A: As an example google on AUA Chiang Mai ... but there are many language schools and individual tutors.

A: Depends where you are coming from and obviously deals vary from one week to the next

All great ideas particularly

"Q: Is there any tips in terms of etiquette as far as interacting with the locals? What should and shouldn't you do in your experiences?

A: This sort of general stuff is available in any guide book or tourist web site. Additionally, be open to new ways of doing things and don't continually make assumptions & judgments based on how things are back home."

I see more unhappy farongs because that is not the way they do it in the land they choose not to live in. I have been here about 7 years now and still think that is a different way to do it. Not right and Not Wrong just Different. The only exception being they drive on the wrong side of the road most of the time.

Also where are you coming from are you already in Thailand say Bangkok for several years or is this going to be all new to you.

As for learning the language that is a experience. I enrolled in AUA my,first week here for the beginners class I found my self in with about ten others who had all lived here for at least a year and this was the second time through the class for some of them. Then the teacher started teaching basically the vowels (that was very good). She then proceeded into teaching grammar with few new words thrown in. Basically I was being tought grammar n a language couldn't speak. I hired a one on one teacher twice a week for two hours a session 200 baht a hour. I learned a lot because she did not try to teach me some thing until I was ready to learn it. I did how ever after two weeks find my self looking at the clock for the second hour.

My guess is you will probably learn better than myself. Now I find to really learn how to say a word properly I watch my wife's mouth and tongue and it really helps me in pronouncing it. No help in Memory though.

How old are you. That can make a difference.

1. Are there any large differences between North, East, West, South areas of Chiang Mai? Is there a section of the city to avoid?

I personally prefer this highlighted blue area as they are closer to shops and hospital and near parks and mountain, no flood and not too quiet.

post-131333-0-31942700-1342503856_thumb.

"Q: Is there any tips in terms of etiquette as far as interacting with the locals? What should and shouldn't you do in your experiences?

A: This sort of general stuff is available in any guide book or tourist web site. Additionally, be open to new ways of doing things and don't continually make assumptions & judgments based on how things are back home."

I see more unhappy farongs because that is not the way they do it in the land they choose not to live in. I have been here about 7 years now and still think that is a different way to do it. Not right and Not Wrong just Different. The only exception being they drive on the wrong side of the road most of the time.

Also where are you coming from are you already in Thailand say Bangkok for several years or is this going to be all new to you.

As for learning the language that is a experience. I enrolled in AUA my,first week here for the beginners class I found my self in with about ten others who had all lived here for at least a year and this was the second time through the class for some of them. Then the teacher started teaching basically the vowels (that was very good). She then proceeded into teaching grammar with few new words thrown in. Basically I was being tought grammar n a language couldn't speak. I hired a one on one teacher twice a week for two hours a session 200 baht a hour. I learned a lot because she did not try to teach me some thing until I was ready to learn it. I did how ever after two weeks find my self looking at the clock for the second hour.

My guess is you will probably learn better than myself. Now I find to really learn how to say a word properly I watch my wife's mouth and tongue and it really helps me in pronouncing it. No help in Memory though.

Yes we are very open to different ways of life. I was just wondering cause I have read things like not to touch anyone on the head, I understand this but I also read something like "don't point your feet" I have NO idea what that is supposed to mean.

We are in Canada now moving to Thailand in the fall. We are in our mid 20's. We haven't been to Thailand before, but that's how we like it :D

I think getting personal lessons would be a great idea for me as I am a slow learner unfortunately so that's good to know that I could hire someone to personally teach me and take the pressure off. You thought twice a week was two often for lessons?

You have great advice, thanks a million!

I personally prefer this highlighted blue area as they are closer to shops and hospital and near parks and mountain, no flood and not too quiet.

Thats where I was thinking of moving just for the fact it's near the mountains, but if there are parks and it's a good level of activity, it sounds near perfect. It'd also be fantastic to not have to deal with the flooding in the rainy season, thank you that might be a deal breaker!

In your 20s ...... Santhitam Road and surrounding area.

A Thai university area, full of coffee shops, internet cafes and bars with live music.

Condo will cost you 3,500-5,000bht a month (+utils)

About 1km outside the moat, near CM RAM Hospital.

3km from the Zoo and the road to Doi Suthep.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

agree with this. north-west definitely my favourite area of chiang mai to live. five minutes from the city on a scooter, easy access to nimmanhaemin and superhighway for grocery shopping, foot of the mountain and a few minutes from huay tung thao lake as well.

agree with this. north-west definitely my favourite area of chiang mai to live. five minutes from the city on a scooter, easy access to nimmanhaemin and superhighway for grocery shopping, foot of the mountain and a few minutes from huay tung thao lake as well.

I also agree that this is a great area especially for people of your age..But do not commit to a one year lease until you have lived here for at least one month and start to get a feel of the city. One decent condo I know of that will rent by the week or month is Galare Thong.. There are many of us in Chiang Mai from our home and native land.

"4. Is there any tips in terms of etiquette as far as interacting with the locals? What should and shouldn't you do in your experiences?"

You should expect that some local Thai women will attempt to "steal" your boyfriend from you. Probably many. How you handle it is up to you. If this happens, do not take the law into your own hands. You may have to ignore the "politeness" recommendations in the guidebooks and make it clear that he is yours.

My guess is this will be your number one issue.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 2

Would recommend for apartments (as suggested) looking around the Nimmenheimmen, Huay kaew, CMU way.

Most apartments have net/wifi and you can pay as you go. But shared connection sucks, so if you need better net, enquire at your apartment office if this is possible. Or, can buy a pay as you go dongle thingy..i forget the proper name! As mentioned, best net connection depends on where you live in the city.

Check out the ladies section here for anything female-specific and also chickynet chiang mai (just google!)

Welcome to Chiang mai and best of luck to you both! :D

Come up and spend a couple weeks here in a GH and search these things out for yourselves. Everyone will have there own ideas about Chiangmai depending on their background. Two weeks is probabaly not even long enough because the longer your in any new place, you will see things differently. Kind of like the honeymoon versus your 5th year of marriage. Lots of inexpensive GH's and this is off season.

When I think of graphic design and web development and I hear your need for steady, fast, internet, it leads me to believe that you will be working over the internet from Chiang Mai.

Is this correct? Because then you would be without a work permit. Tons of people work that way, just don't blab about it.

But without the workpermit, there will be no Non-Imm B visa, so for you to stay here fr that 3 years or so you will need to join a Thai language school that will provide you with the education visa to allow you both to stay long term,

If you have the work permit thing sorted out, disregard the above.

I would also say that living closer to town is much more fun when you are in your 20's and since you are new to the city, country, language, and culture, it might be good to get a handle on things in a bit more urban setting before going off somewhere and being the only white people in the area. Before you have to learn about dealing with neighbors and issues like their dogs (many topics about things like that in the CM forum)

Then once you have a handle on the language and culture, move out where you might be speaking Thai 80% or more of the time.

If you are stuying it daily, you will pick it up fast. Took me a year to feel comfortable but I never had the time to actually learn Thai formally other than a semester abroad years ago. You might reach that level in 3-4 months.

Goodluck!

Yes we are very open to different ways of life. I was just wondering cause I have read things like not to touch anyone on the head, I understand this but I also read something like "don't point your feet" I have NO idea what that is supposed to mean.

We are in Canada now moving to Thailand in the fall. We are in our mid 20's. We haven't been to Thailand before, but that's how we like it biggrin.png

I think getting personal lessons would be a great idea for me as I am a slow learner unfortunately so that's good to know that I could hire someone to personally teach me and take the pressure off. You thought twice a week was two often for lessons?

You have great advice, thanks a million!

Thailand is no longer cheap.

Many ex-pats fail in Thailand due to financial reasons and would like to ask: how your boyfriend and you intend to support yourselves here, which should be your number one priority?

Thailand is no longer cheap.

Indeed. (It's moved up from 'cheap' to 'very affordable and great value for money'. )

But I thought this guy already educated us how to live on 100 a day?

post-131333-0-46578900-1342533482_thumb.

Edited by ARISTIDE