Deep Purple's Jon Lord Dies At 71

webfact

Deep Purple's Jon Lord dies at 71

Tony_jon1990.jpg

Tony Ashton with Jon Lord, a gig at the Hotel Post, March 1990

File photo. Source: wikimedia

450px-Jon_sunflower_2007.JPG

Jon Lord at the Sunflowerjam, London, 2007.

File photo. Source: wikimedia

LONDON: -- Jon Lord, the former keyboard player with heavy rock band Deep Purple, has died aged 71.

Lord co-founded Deep Purple in 1968 and co-wrote many of the group's songs including Smoke On The Water. He also played with bands including Whitesnake.

He had been receiving treatment for pancreatic cancer since last August.

He died at the London Clinic on Monday, surrounded by family, a statement said. "Jon passes from Darkness to Light," it added.

Lord was influenced by classical, blues and jazz but played his Hammond organ with a rock attitude and helped Deep Purple become pioneers of progressive and heavy rock. [more...]

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-18864409

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2012-07-17

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of seeing Deep Purple live in the early 1970s, they were a class act. In Rock is still one of my favourite albums. Jon Lord was a true virtuoso, his intro on Child In Time still sends shivers down the spine. RIP, you may be gone but your music will live on.

• Like 1

I still have this image of a few long hairs (when some of us had hair) racing though town in a 440 coronet with highway star blasting - Thanks Jon - that was a cool time. RIP

I think my fav is - Lazy - long version.

I met Jon Lord, Ian Paice, and Roger Glover by chance in a bar in Bangkok in 1991. They were really nice, down-to-earth guys, and they seemed at least as interested in hearing about my life as a young expat in Thailand as I was in hearing about their life as members of a legendary rock band. I had never really listened to their music much, but after meeting them I gave them a more serious listen and came to appreciate how good their music was.

• Like 1

Surprisingly, hard rock bands make the finest melodies. And deep Purple was a great hard rock band.

Indeed, you feel it in the spine every time you listen to Child in Time.

RIP and thanks for what they gave us.

Most of the musicians of the great rock bands from the 1960's and '70's are now Old Age Pensioners.

Rest in Peace Jon Lord, over the next few years you will be joined by many of your contemporaries.

Many of them are Knocking On Heaven's Door while others are still looking for that Stairway To Heaven.sad.png

me too getting old ...

my first "LP" I ´ve bought was from Deep Purple. when I was 14, 15 y. old, it was one of my favourite bands

beside Hendrix ...(my hair was wild like a lion, and same colour )

Thankyou Jon !

This song will always be associated with my cousin Rolf. I was a bit young at this time but I liked to hang around with my cousin Rolf who was 10 years older than me. He used to spend his life in his garage, fixing his motorcycle and listening to music. He always have friends around, they were very nice with me, especially the girls wub.png . I have to say that at that time I was a really annoying hyper active kid and everybody was trying to get rid of me except them.

Among the songs he was playing, one of my favorite was "Child in Time".

R.I.P. Jon Lord, R.I.P. good time.