Crackdown On Illegal Loan Sharks Called For: Phuket

webfact

Crackdown on illegal loan sharks called for

Phuket Gazette

loan.jpeg

Mr Suthipong says that he was set upon by an armed gang after he asked for an extension on a recently resigned employee’s loan. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A Rassada Municipality council member called for a crackdown on loan sharks after his brother was attacked and brutally beaten by a group of armed men he claims were hired by illegal moneylenders.

Rassada Municipality council member Chainarong Pillavas and his brother Suthipong Pillavas, who claims to have been attacked by some 20 thugs hired by the loanshark, made a direct plea to the police during a press conference at Bangkok Hospital Phuket last Thursday.

“There are a lot of loan shark gangs in Phuket. They have no issue with physically attacking debtors; it doesn’t matter if they are children or elderly people. I would like police to put a stop to this,” said Mr Chainarong, who was a policeman himself before getting into politics years ago.

Mr Chainarong’s younger brother, Mr Suthipong, described the attack:

“On Wednesday night, at around 8pm, I was sitting in my shipyard in Phuket Town. Four bag men came to collect the interest on a 30,000 baht loan taken out by one of my former employees. These are the kind of loan sharks that offer desperate people high-interest loans. They threaten violence against those who fail to pay off their debts or keep up the interest payments," he said.

“I asked them to postpone the worker’s payment because he had resigned, which made them furious.

“The gang left, but returned with more men, about 20 in total. They had guns and knives and sticks; they attacked me.

“Two men pointed guns at my head, while others hit me with wooden sticks and cut my chest and kicked me until I passed out. Then they were all gone.”

A complaint was filed with the Phuket City Police by his brother Chainarong, who held the rank of Senior Sgt Maj when he left the Phuket City Police force.

“I wasn’t even the one who had borrowed the money, but I am the one who was attacked,” said Mr Suthipong, who admitted that he had vouched for the employee in question.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16437.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-17

I wonder if Mr Suthipong had really sacked his employee (resigned/sacked same thing here in may cases) and this was some sort of revenge for that.

Loan sharks are truly low-down scum and will want their money. If he has effectively deprived them from getting it, it doesn't surprise me he was targetted.

Typical Thai punk cowards. Afraid to take on one man without a gang. The "zero risk punk gang". Half men, boys in men's bodies. I would like just once, to see a one on one fight without any weapons from one of these two bit half witted punks. They came back with 20 men, to pick on one. Who in their right mind thinks that the Phuket police has any interest in enforcing the law against loan sharks. This continues lawlessness persists all over this nearly lawless country. If crimes are NOT committed, it is due to the fact that people did not want to commit them, and has NOTHING to do with "law enforcement" (simply a revenue collection agency posing as the Thai police). There is no deterrent here. Anyone with cash can buy their way out of nearly any crime. Only the ones with no cash go to jail.

• Like 1

hey, it is normal, phuket is an island, full of sharks ... they work in and out of the water (jetski, taxi maffia) and even wear a brown uniform to control the tourist / local crowds and their pockets

• Like 1

First getting involved with these tugs and then complaining about them. Talking about double morals.

Why not read it first and then comment..;

On Wednesday night, at around 8pm, I was sitting in my shipyard in Phuket Town. Four bag men came to collect the interest on a 30,000 baht loan taken out by one of my former employees. These are the kind of loan sharks that offer desperate people high-interest loans. They threaten violence against those who fail to pay off their debts or keep up the interest payments," he said.

“I asked them to postpone the worker’s payment because he had resigned, which made them furious.

“I wasn’t even the one who had borrowed the money, but I am the one who was attacked,” said Mr Suthipong, who admitted that he had vouched for the employee in question.

Sure, he went guarentor, but not his loan as you imply...

.Also these 'illegal lender'' are often the only way the poor guys can borrow money....large amount of lower socio-enconomic thais have no option Not much chance at all for most to get bank money.......thats why they flourish..

no those guys really attack anyone who knows the people borrowing. We've lost 3 employes that were amazing because a distant relative borrowed money and skipped town. That happens even if they have not spoken to them in years. Those thugs come looking for them in daytime in front of dozens of people with guns and machete.

First getting involved with these tugs and then complaining about them. Talking about double morals.

Why not read it first and then comment..;

On Wednesday night, at around 8pm, I was sitting in my shipyard in Phuket Town. Four bag men came to collect the interest on a 30,000 baht loan taken out by one of my former employees. These are the kind of loan sharks that offer desperate people high-interest loans. They threaten violence against those who fail to pay off their debts or keep up the interest payments," he said.

Sure, he went guarentor, but not his loan as you imply...

.Also these 'illegal lender'' are often the only way the poor guys can borrow money....large amount of lower socio-enconomic thais have no option Not much chance at all for most to get bank money.......thats why they flourish..

I did read that, of course. But as you mention yourself: he willingly signed on to guarantee the loan, so he knew what to expect. It was his employee, if he thought the guy would repay he probably would have lend it to him himself.

And yes, the only way to loan money for quite a few people, but, with some exceptions, borrowing at 5 or 10% interest per month is asking for problems. Staying away from the sharks is the only way.

<snip> And yes, the only way to loan money for quite a few people, but, with some exceptions, borrowing at 5 or 10% interest per month is asking for problems. Staying away from the sharks is the only way.

Small scale loans interest are often collected daily at 2% per day (1,000 baht loan, pay 20 baht) which = a huge 60% per month. Just seems idiotic to me but I guess these folks borrowing don't actually think of the consequences.

• Like 1

Things are moving on. Instead of calling this Summer season, should we call this Cleaning season 2012..

Police smash major loan shark gang

PHUKET: Officials from Crime Suppression Division 5 (CSD) of the Royal Thai Police in Bangkok raided a house on Chaofa East Rd in Chalong this morning (July 19) and arrested eight members of one of the biggest loan shark gangs in Phuket.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-smash-major-loan-shark-gang-32120.php

This is what they need http://www.microfinancethailand.com/ but the interest rate is high although nowhere near the level of what the loan sharks charge, It seems to work well in other countries but here I am sure a good proportion of loan shark money is used to pay off gambling debts.

Yes, a good idea, but what you are suggesting is something that simply does not happen in Thailand. You are suggesting progress. Well, progress happens here very infrequently. I believe that Thailand is one of the least progressive countries in the world. Not sure why. Perhaps it is partly due to the relative lack of intelligence on the part of many of the locals. Perhaps it is in part due to the horrific education standards. Perhaps it is partly due to the lack of colonization (which, whatever your argument is for or against, one cannot argue that it does not bring a more cosmopolitan approach to life, and better awareness of the world at large, at the very least). Or perhaps it is due to the stubborn refusal on the part of many Thais, to accept the possibility that ideas coming from outside of the LOS, are good, and of value. Not sure why, but if one lives here long enough, one stops expecting to see progress. I love this place, but am acutely aware of the fact that the LOS is going backwards, at a breakneck pace.