Student Victim's Family Gets 2,000 Baht

george

...Actually, in my experience students usually share a room and they end up paying about 500 baht per month or there abouts.
But this wouldn't change the fact, that it is hard to find a room in BKK under 3000฿? Wouldn't it? :o

Which also doesn't change the fact that a 2000 Baht contribution by the Surin Province which do not need to do so, isn't an insult as far as the Thais are concern. :D

Not sure if this is worth a new topic so I'll post here. My girlfriend attends Ramkhamhaeng and says there were actually 5 graduating students killed recently. The other 4 weren't out in public like the one that made the newspaper. She said that there's recently been more friction between those from Isaan and those from the southern areas of Thailand.

Before the fishermen in the murder on Samui were caught, the two groups were saying that the attackers had to be from the other area. Sounds like that kind of brought some stuff to the surface since her friend who lives in a nice building wants to move now. She said there's even police on that soi, but there's still problems. Too many guys just hanging around now.

My girlfriend's apartment building has been fine for the several years she has lived there, but some new people have moved in and someone broke into her room and took some money. Her new next door neighbors stay up late and make a bit of noise too. She's moving next to school, so that will go away, but I'm concernced that there's still some animosity among the groups. She says guys will make comments to her while she's walking by, but she'll be ok since she never talks back and just keeps walking.

When I visited the school, my girlfriend said that the girls there are cute, but there's lots of scary looking guys. I agree, but I just figured the guys just looked that way since they weren't very affluent, but were mostly decent guys since they were trying to get an education. Was I wrong?

I'm not sure what to make of all this. Whether it's just happened all around the same time and will die down, or there's some bigger problem brewing. Have the economic aftermath of the Tsunami or the political issues in the south forced people to move to Bangkok?

Wanted law student gives up

Surat Thani - A university student accused of pushing another student out on to the road, where he was killed by a car, has surrendered after hiding in Surat Thani for two weeks.

Ake-karat Pongpipat, 22, a senior at Ramkhamhaeng University's faculty of law, was wanted on an arrest warrant.

He is accused of pushing Eknarin Sarati, 29, into the way of a car in soi Ramkhamhaeng 42 during a scuffle on the night of Jan 13.

Eknarin died the following day, the day he was due to graduate.

Mr Ake-karat surrendered yesterday to police in Wiang Sa district, Surat Thani. He had been hiding in his home, police said. He faces charges of manslaughter and illegal possession of a firearm. Police allege the accused and two other students from the university harassed Eknarin before he was struck by a car.

They said that during initial questioning Mr Ake-karat claimed Eknarin was drunk and accidentally stepped off the footpath and was hit by the car. The accused denied the victim was pushed as reported in many newspapers. He also denied any intention to commit murder.

Metropolitan Police chief Lt-General Wiroj Jantharangsi said there were many eyewitnesses and police believed they had a strong case.

Mr Ake-karat was denied police bail and was being sent to Bangkok's Hua Mark police station for questioning.

Police were confident the other two suspects would soon be caught.

====================================

This guy was a law student??? :o

He'll fit well into the profession...

Edited by sriracha john

Wanted law student gives up

Surat Thani - A university student accused of pushing another student out on to the road, where he was killed by a car, has surrendered after hiding in Surat Thani for two weeks.

Ake-karat Pongpipat, 22, a senior at Ramkhamhaeng University's faculty of law, was wanted on an arrest warrant.

He is accused of pushing Eknarin Sarati, 29, into the way of a car in soi Ramkhamhaeng 42 during a scuffle on the night of Jan 13.

Eknarin died the following day, the day he was due to graduate.

Mr Ake-karat surrendered yesterday to police in Wiang Sa district, Surat Thani. He had been hiding in his home, police said. He faces charges of manslaughter and illegal possession of a firearm. Police allege the accused and two other students from the university harassed Eknarin before he was struck by a car.

They said that during initial questioning Mr Ake-karat claimed Eknarin was drunk and accidentally stepped off the footpath and was hit by the car. The accused denied the victim was pushed as reported in many newspapers. He also denied any intention to commit murder.

Metropolitan Police chief Lt-General Wiroj Jantharangsi said there were many eyewitnesses and police believed they had a strong case.

Mr Ake-karat was denied police bail and was being sent to Bangkok's Hua Mark police station for questioning.

Police were confident the other two suspects would soon be caught.

====================================

This guy was a law student??? :o

He'll fit well into the profession...

Was the victim 20 or 29? I was picturing all young guys for some reason, but it's sad either way. I can't believe that if they brandished a gun to keep people from helping, this guy is going to try to say the victim stumbled into the street on his own. Obviously he has to know there were witnesses, and what an idiot for keeping the firearm. Guess he was intending to be a defense attorney.

I'm not sure what to make of all this. Whether it's just happened all around the same time and will die down, or there's some bigger problem brewing. Have the economic aftermath of the Tsunami or the political issues in the south forced people to move to Bangkok?

Many Southerners study law and end up becoming civil servants; RU is the preferred university for sutdying law, hence for a long time there have been plenty of southern students AFAIK at RU... nothing new.

Current problems in the south might increase tensions, but many from there aren't Muslim anyway. For sure though, without generalising, southerners (of which i have some relatives) stick together; if one has a fight, then any southerners in the area will back him up; much like ethnic minorities overseas sometimes.

Very tragic situation, but as a few observations, I'd guess your girlfriend's statistically not significant range of experiences are nice anecdotes but insufficient to dig deeper and make conclusions. Regarding 2000b, for all we know this may have been a pass around in the office there or similar, should have been more but better than nothing; ditto for Paradorn - it is up to him to decide whether to donate or not. One would hope for more, but that is still better than nothing.

If you personally have not donated at least 10% or more of your income to charity, then I hardly think you have a leg to stand on in commenting on someone else's donations to charity cases in which case ST$U.

Best regards :o

Edited by steveromagnino