More Then A Fair Share Of Tart An In Thailand ... Givin' It Laldy

David48

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the differences between a Scotsman and a Geordie ?

The Geordie is the one with the brains.

The Scotsman is the one with the Chip on the shoulder

Historical facts will show you are waaaaay off on that one!!

Who invented brown ale? A Geordie

Who invented the singlet to wear in the cold weather? A Geordie

What about :

TV

Penicillin

Telephone

Whisky

Golf

Anaesthesia

Tarmac Roads

Logarithms

Marmalade

The Bank of England

Postage Stamps

First cloned mammal

Neptune

US Navy

Quinine

Microwave ovens

Fridges

Sulphuric Acid

Paraffin

Pneumatic Tyres

The decimal Point

etc.

Ok, OK, but apart from that, what did the Scottish ever do for us?

BTW, glad you spelt Whisky the way you did, might be confused with the proper Whiskey..........thumbsup.gif

BTW, glad you spelt Whisky the way you did, might be confused with the proper Whiskey..........thumbsup.gif

Who is "us"?

I'd say everyone benefits from the above inventions.

Sent from my old but good Dell laptop as I wanted to see the telly at the same time and get fed mangoes by my wife.(who really cares where it was sent from?)

Now you're just being silly!!!

Anyone know if there is anywhere I can buy this homemade over here?

My scottish grandmother made the best i've ever had.She passed the

recipe to my mother but mum never wrote anything down and kept all

her recipies in her head.When my mother passed away everything was lost.post-140056-0-58195600-1343720912_thumb.

Easy to make yourself!! http://allrecipes.co...-shortbread-iv/

Have you tried that recipe yourself and if so how does it turnout? I notice that it uses brown sugar,other recipies I've looked at use white or castor sugar and it also uses a different method.I am a bit limited because we don't have a full size oven only a mini griller type oven.I've cooked a full roast in that which turned out fine after getting around problems with the size.Any way, i'll give it a shot and see what happens and thanks for the recipe.

Ive made shortbread loads of times! What i noticed first time is that i thought it wasnt baked enough because was still so soft, so baked for longer..but then when cooled was brick hard!! So..when you pull the shortbread out of the oven and its still a little soft to the touch, leave it to cool and will harden.

Sometimes i make just simple shortbread, other times i will put in cranberries , nuts, etc. But really, simple is still the best imo.

• Like 1

Anyone know if there is anywhere I can buy this homemade over here?

My scottish grandmother made the best i've ever had.She passed the

recipe to my mother but mum never wrote anything down and kept all

her recipies in her head.When my mother passed away everything was lost.post-140056-0-58195600-1343720912_thumb.

Easy to make yourself!! http://allrecipes.co...-shortbread-iv/

Have you tried that recipe yourself and if so how does it turnout? I notice that it uses brown sugar,other recipies I've looked at use white or castor sugar and it also uses a different method.I am a bit limited because we don't have a full size oven only a mini griller type oven.I've cooked a full roast in that which turned out fine after getting around problems with the size.Any way, i'll give it a shot and see what happens and thanks for the recipe.

Ive made shortbread loads of times! What i noticed first time is that i thought it wasnt baked enough because was still so soft, so baked for longer..but then when cooled was brick hard!! So..when you pull the shortbread out of the oven and its still a little soft to the touch, leave it to cool and will harden.

Sometimes i make just simple shortbread, other times i will put in cranberries , nuts, etc. But really, simple is still the best imo.

I vaguely remember my grand mother not over cooking it and after taking it from the oven,used to put a tea towel or cloth over the cooling rack and letting the batch cool down slowly.

Now you're just being silly!!!

I can still remember the taste of the Black Bush trickling down the throat............biggrin.png

And it is Whiskey I'm talking about, nothing to do with descendants from African countries..................blink.png

• Like 1

I have Scottish blood on my mothers side..does that count?

Sure ... but just how much blue blood flows in them veins son?

I'll show my hand.

There is some genuine Scots in me. All Aussies can trace back their fatherland.

My Great-Grandfather (fathers side) emigrated to Australia from Scotland.

David48. I will be in Bangkok for about three weeks and would like to meet up with any Scot. I have lived in Thailand for 7 years and have not met any Scot yet. If someone wants to get in touch.

How do the bagpipes tolerate the heat? Actually playing the pipes at dawn in the village may endear you to the locals so much, they may be the answer to many problems.

Well the Thai people love noise don't they? Is that not what the bagpipes make? I must say though, as a Scot I do love Scottish (and Irish) music. I thought Calum Kennedy was one of the best, In my opinion, the best Scottish singer ever was Robert Wilson, I barely remember him as a little boy. I'm up for meeting any Scotsman in Bangkok.

Talking about Tartan in Thailand..........eek has come up with a compelling plan for us to have a traditional Hogmanay do in Chiang Mai. Being eek, and ever gracious, she mentioned it might be difficult for the expat community to get hold of the full regalia for the do, however a bit of tartan should be easy enough done.

So here's the cunning plan........I'll book a place which in my opinion is the best location to see in the Bells at CM, you've all got 5 months notice of the event so you can't say you weren't forewarned biggrin.png

The place can hold about 80-100 people and theblether will front the first 25,000 baht for the do........eek will confirm that contrary to opinion we Scots are not tight with money tongue.png

Nationality is no barrier you'll be pleased to hear, we'll even let the English in......as long as your wearing a bit of Tartan biggrin.png

So there you go, full regalia if you have it, a wee bit of tartan if you don't. I'll try to get back up to CM during this trip and get it booked, otherwise I'll get one of the Scottish CM contingent to nip in and book it for me over the next couple of months.

I'll start a thread once I have the booking confirmed / nearer the time for declarations of intent to attend...........we CM regulars will be able to point you in the direction of hotels for every budget etc, and of course, if you can spend more time in CM I / we will make sure you get to see the sights of Northern Thailand too.

So ur ye up fur it??? hands up the noo and we'll have a proper crack at it on New Years Eve drunk.gif

( you might even get to see theblether in a kilt, we know how the lady boys love that laugh.png ).

If he has typical Scotsmens legs, I don't think the ladyboys will like that. What is a typical Scotsmans legs like I hear you ask. Short, fat and hairy.

For a country of 5 million odd, there does seems to be a large proportion of members of Scottish decent who have an affinity for Thailand.

Tell us why your ass is in Thailand (or want's to be) and your heart is still in Scotland

My ass is in Thailand coz ma darlin wifie's fae here an aifter a trial run bidin through een o i worst winter's snaw's seen in Scotland in 30 yeers or so, she wiz glaid ti git hame,,, as was masel is weel ,,, anither thing noo ye mention "geein it laldy" nae so much choice o quality single malts here ti lead mi astray in a nicht oot, resultin in a clearer Heid nooadays.

I have lived in Thailand for 7 years now. am a fully fledged Scot, but not proud of it I'm afraid. I am very happily married out here, but never yet met a Scot in Thailand. Would you like to remedy that Jonnyscot
  • Like 1

One thing to add to this topic, Celtic are the only team - thats correct not a third division team.........................................

I'm a Celtic supporter myself and will be in Bangkok for three weeks from 4th Aug, any other like minded Scots out there?

@ David48

Cheers for the PM, but I'm not Jock. Still, while the subject is here, it goes a bit further than you might think.

The Scottish are just a mental Irish tribe that decided Ireland wasn't bad enough to live in and went on an away-day across the Irish sea and claimed the highlands as their own.

Whereas any self respecting colonial would like to think they have Scottish blood running through their veins, every jock should be hoping they have Irish blood in them.

Right, that would be the fuse lit then.......................

BTW, it was a Scottish gentleman that educated me on this; an esteemed member of this forum. You know who you are (hope it wasn't just the Leo talking)........smile.png

I'm 100% Scottish, but I wish I had Irish blood in me. How I admire the Irish and their great fighting spirit. Us Scots could be doing with that.

Thanks for your PM, David. You guessed correctly that I hadn’t seen this thread – the general section is definitely too rough for me! But I’ve enjoyed reading your thread here now.

Scottish of Scots parents, me and them having been born and raised in Glasgow but with mostly Irish ascendants and Irish surnames (both parents).

I quit a job of 11 years with the one company in Scotland to take a job with another (same industry) looking for a manager for their Thai operation 18 years ago. I fell in love with the place on my first day – it was just so different from anything I had seen (I was not yet 35 and had never been out of Europe). I was struck, in Bangkok, by the number of cranes as numerous as trees in a forest (this was before the Asian crisis, which started in Thailand some 3 years later), by the proliferation of Benz’ or Mercs as we call them, by the sheer chaos of the infrastructure (now much improved), by the contrast of the “slum” dwellers living cheek-to-jowl with the very wealthy and their mansions, and by the gorgeousness of the smiling women. I knew that day that I would never leave Thailand, except in that final puff of smoke.

When Thais upcountry ask me what do I prefer, Thais/Thailand or Scots/Scotland, I also reply (much to their sorrow) that, despite Thailand’s beauty, I consider Scotland more beautiful and that whilst Thais tend to be very selfish (at least true around my area), Scots tend to be very generous with their time, their willingness to assist strangers, and (despite what our English brethren like to joke) with our money.

I’ve made a very good life here on a farm well away from anything for myself, wife of 18 years, and two daughters aged 11 & 16. I’m usually to be found on the farming forum. We all visit my aged parents in Scotland every 3 years on average.

Hogmanay in Chiang Mai sounds good to me – it would be good to meet up (no other Scots around me, AFAIK).

Khonwan (a local abbreviation for naKHONsaWAN; I’m really not a “sweet guy”)

Khonwan, I live near Nakhon Sawan, do you have any association with the place? I have lived here for 7 years and still not met a Scot in Thailand.

Thanks for your PM, David. You guessed correctly that I hadn’t seen this thread – the general section is definitely too rough for me! But I’ve enjoyed reading your thread here now.

Scottish of Scots parents, me and them having been born and raised in Glasgow but with mostly Irish ascendants and Irish surnames (both parents).

I quit a job of 11 years with the one company in Scotland to take a job with another (same industry) looking for a manager for their Thai operation 18 years ago. I fell in love with the place on my first day – it was just so different from anything I had seen (I was not yet 35 and had never been out of Europe). I was struck, in Bangkok, by the number of cranes as numerous as trees in a forest (this was before the Asian crisis, which started in Thailand some 3 years later), by the proliferation of Benz’ or Mercs as we call them, by the sheer chaos of the infrastructure (now much improved), by the contrast of the “slum” dwellers living cheek-to-jowl with the very wealthy and their mansions, and by the gorgeousness of the smiling women. I knew that day that I would never leave Thailand, except in that final puff of smoke.

When Thais upcountry ask me what do I prefer, Thais/Thailand or Scots/Scotland, I also reply (much to their sorrow) that, despite Thailand’s beauty, I consider Scotland more beautiful and that whilst Thais tend to be very selfish (at least true around my area), Scots tend to be very generous with their time, their willingness to assist strangers, and (despite what our English brethren like to joke) with our money.

I’ve made a very good life here on a farm well away from anything for myself, wife of 18 years, and two daughters aged 11 & 16. I’m usually to be found on the farming forum. We all visit my aged parents in Scotland every 3 years on average.

Hogmanay in Chiang Mai sounds good to me – it would be good to meet up (no other Scots around me, AFAIK).

Khonwan, I live near Nakhon Sawan, do you have any association with the place? I have lived here for 7 years and still not met a Scot in Thailand.

I guess we must be all too busy posting on the internet.

SC

I see Khonwan did not claim the weather was better in Scotland

I see Khonwan did not claim the weather was better in Scotland

Like me, he no doubt assumed that everyone knew that already

SC

SC

Not me I was banned for the last 72 hours.

SC

Not me I was banned for the last 72 hours.

...and you didn't run into two Scots geezers making mucky films with a small dog?

You're a lucky man, so you are.

I wouldn't go into the pub, if I was you, just now...

SC

my grandmother came to AUS as a 10yr old from Abadeen, married a Scot from Glascow, god forbid Mum married a bloody Pom much to everyones digust, in Nanas eyes he was a black Pom, not sure if she ever got over it, LOL

• Like 1

my grandmother came to AUS as a 10yr old from Abadeen, married a Scot from Glascow, god forbid Mum married a bloody Pom much to everyones digust, in Nanas eyes he was a black Pom, not sure if she ever got over it, LOL

W

So did your grandparents

En.wilkpedia.org/wilki/alternative-name-for-the-british