Pair Arrested For Photocopying Thai Banknotes

webfact

Pair arrested for photocopying Thai banknotes

By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A plastics factory worker and his roommate were arrested Monday for production and possession of counterfeit banknotes, which they confessed to creating by photocopying authentic Thai baht notes onto standard A4-sized paper.

Supan Bajongpru, 36, and Rames Kankiri, 26, were arrested after undercover police convinced the haphazard duo to sell them some of the bogus baht, Daily News reported.

Police nabbed Supan in Bang Khen district in possession of five counterfeit 1,000-baht notes and 30 counterfeit 100-baht notes, Capt. Pirachad Kumsang said. When police went to search his residence in Samut Sakhon province, they discovered Rames in the room along with a home printer/photocopy machine.

Supan confessed that he didn’t use any special technique to produce the fake fliff, but simply through trial-and-error copied authentic money onto A4 paper, resulting in notes that looked real and were “very difficult to spot at night,” police said.[more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...thai-banknotes/

-- COCONUTSBangkok 2012-07-19

footer_n.gif

By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A plastics factory worker and his roommate were arrested Monday for production and possession of counterfeit banknotes, which they confessed to creating by photocopying authentic Thai baht notes onto standard A4-sized paper.

Supan Bajongpru, 36, and Rames Kankiri, 26, were arrested after undercover police convinced the haphazard duo to sell them some of the bogus baht, Daily News reported.

Police nabbed Supan in Bang Khen district in possession of five counterfeit 1,000-baht notes and 30 counterfeit 100-baht notes, Capt. Pirachad Kumsang said. When police went to search his residence in Samut Sakhon province, they discovered Rames in the room along with a home printer/photocopy machine.

Supan confessed that he didn’t use any special technique to produce the fake fliff, but simply through trial-and-error copied authentic money onto A4 paper, resulting in notes that looked real and were “very difficult to spot at night,” police said.[more...]

footer_n.gif

How bleedin' daft!

> Supan Bajongpru, 36, and Rames Kankiri, 26, were arrested after undercover police convinced the haphazard duo to sell them some of the bogus baht

I wonder how the BiB found out about him in the first place.

They probably wouldn't have got away with it for long, the merchants they'd have been cheating would lay a major arse-whooping on them.

Things have eased up in recent years, maybe laws have changed, but the US was very strict about reproductions of money, even in films. In old movies whenever they had to show cash it was always fake money. Whether it was the studios taking the laws too seriously, or Uncle Sam actually telling them the couldn't show the real stuff, I wouldn't know.

Is it illegal to photocopy banknotes if you do not intend to try to spend them? Anyone know?

I know it is in the US. I think it's even technically illegal to photograph currency. Hard to believe regular copy paper would fool anybody, even at night. And how does even the best printer or copy machine reproduce that metallic strip?

By Coconuts Bangkok

Supan confessed that he didn't use any special technique to produce the fake fliff, but simply through trial-and-error copied authentic money onto A4 paper, resulting in notes that looked real and were "very difficult to spot at night," police said.[more...]

footer_n.gif

How bleedin' daft!

Joke of the day!

A4 paper in 80gsm, I guess. Very convincing, indeed.

Is it illegal to photocopy banknotes if you do not intend to try to spend them? Anyone know?

I know it is in the US. I think it's even technically illegal to photograph currency. Hard to believe regular copy paper would fool anybody, even at night. And how does even the best printer or copy machine reproduce that metallic strip?

They were probably just making some security copies of their own bank notes. Just in case they get damaged. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Hats off to the BiB for busting such a sophisticated and slick operation.

I will sleep better tonight.

Mee Too! However had they used Hassleblads new scanner.....hah!

Edited by sunshine51

Hey, quit joking!

A mans relationship with his printer copier is a deeply personal thing and should be respected. Personally I'd suspect he was only letting it photocopy the money after it had found out he'd been two timing it with his tablet... You never want to upset your printer/copier, they can be vicious when roused. Unfortunately some of these "pacification copies" then went astray.

whistling.gif NURSE! More medication please!

I just tested it out on my printer. And immediately destroyed it. It came out looking exactly like the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Thaivisa Connect App

I did this once, in someone's office. I was so amazed about the result that I forgot about the "original"; it was the most expensive photocopy ever. clap2.gif