Tablet Computer Distribution Kicks Off In Thailand

webfact

What books of learning for 7 year olds dont require writing or drawing in the books. Examples commonly used please tongue.png

sent from my Wellcom A90+

why are you asking me for this?

I think he asked you because you present the pads as fool proof.

Can do it all machines. No flaws in them. Absolutely no benefit in any other system.

And before you even try that old worn out "I didn't say that" you are right you did not, you just implied it.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What books of learning for 7 year olds dont require writing or drawing in the books. Examples commonly used please tongue.png

why are you asking me for this?

I think he asked you because you present the pads as fool proof.

Can do it all machines. No flaws in them. Absolutely no benefit in any other system.

And before you even try that old worn out "I didn't say that" you are right you did not, you just implied it.

you know why it's worn out me saying 'i didn't say that' to you?

because you're on cloud cuckoo land and draw conclusions from posts that only exist in your head.

Edited by nurofiend

Not in a lot of Thai schools you couldn't. They dont have internet access laugh.png

Ps. I think you are referring to the user manual not workshop manual. Good luck fixing a damaged engine with the user manual.

Makes no difference what book he had it would be worth selling tickets for to watch him try o make them work.clap2.gif

Well at least the Yingluck Gov has kept their promise and started to distribute the tablets, a bit late but no fault of the Thai gov.

You set the bar for having kept promises very low.

From the 11,000,000 tablets promised for May, we have 55,000 "beginning to be delivered" in the third week of July.

Additionally, with all the backtracking, constantly redefining specs, round and round bidding processes before selecting an inexperienced and low-quality provider that was wasn't even able to provide enough of the required capital initially, coupled with countless other delays are directly attributable to the Yingluck government AKA "fault."

Edited by Buchholz

How will giving grade one students a useless piece of crap with no wifi help the education revolution?

The only revolution might be when the kids realize what utter crap they have been given

The scheme to provide free nation-wide WiFi coverage that was allocated 30,000,000,000.00 Baht by the Yingluck government is I'm sure just moments from being completed.

:rolleyes:

In my experience tablets have been a great educational tool even for my 20 month year old daughter who uses it for learning English and counting etc also great for reding the paper :))

I have no doubts that tabs have great potential BUT in a small class environment or student study period time (1on 1)

Intergrated into a 40+ student environment I'm not so sure. The main problem is how the government has rushed it with seemingly no infrastructure backup, wifi. Safe Electrical charging etc.

It also amazes me that all the people saying how brilliant this is have never actually taught or possibly seen a thai government school P1 class.

It would be extremely good if one of the techies at say the bkk post tested the units and the apps. Giving a relatively unbaised report.

How will giving grade one students a useless piece of crap with no wifi help the education revolution?

The only revolution might be when the kids realize what utter crap they have been given

The scheme to provide free nation-wide WiFi coverage that was allocated 30,000,000,000.00 Baht by the Yingluck government is I'm sure just moments from being completed.

rolleyes.gif

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Money better spent elsewhere certainly, but objectively speaking, I'm highly impressed that the Thai government pulled this off and negotiated a good deal for the tablets and delivery timeline. I'm interested to see the outcome of this mad-cap experiment; my step-son will be in grade 7 next year so I have some insight when I say that I can't see the tablets being used entirely responsibly!

If you so desire, I can teach him how to take the games off, and put something useful on it? giggle.gif

-mel.

but if you do that then they won't use them.

rolleyes.gif

All improvement is good, yet another initiative to move Thailand forward from the government, hard to stomach for those who appear to support leaving most of the country in the educational and technological doldrums.

rolleyes.gif

All improvement is good, yet another initiative to move Thailand forward from the government, hard to stomach for those who appear to support leaving most of the country in the educational and technological doldrums.

473. What improvements?

Buch. Was stating that just because PTP announce something it does not necessarily mean it gets implemented.

rolleyes.gif

473. What improvements?

Buch. Was stating that just because PTP announce something it does not necessarily mean it gets implemented.

Sadly he was, as with you and all the other negative people, neglecting to take into account that most initiatives have to start somewhere. Funding is usually a pretty acceptable starting point for most intelligent people. That alone is a move forward, an improvement on a situation where no funding or vision was evident.

I have noticed your dogmatic stance on 'improving facilities' throughout this thread, to me you are advocating more financial input into the very hole that funding has disppeared into over last 50 years providing no reasonable improvement from chalk boards and rote learning. This makes it difficult to take your comments seriously.

New books, new classrooms, improved teaching-techniques, and even electricity would have been better.

But those boring old mundane things don't give Yingluck the same positive facesaving photo-ops.

ermm.gif

Thailand as a country has over 99% electrification. Are there really any more than a handful of schools that don't have electricity?!

I seem to remember it was between 2 and 3,000.

The only reference I am aware of is this article from The Nation

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/528092-tablet-pc-project-under-pressure-thailand/

It doesn't provide a source for the data and I have not found any other reference so far. If someone can find a second source, that would be interesting. It would also be interesting to know how many schools are in Thailand, the average number of students per school, and then the average number of students / school without electricity. After all, the issue is how many kids are going to schools without electricity and therefore cannot participate in this program.

I suspect the number is very very small.

Geo.

Really! Honestly. you dont consider upgrading school facilities to a current standard a reasonable improvement therefore giving teachers more options to engage the students and move away from fixed rote learning.

but miracle on miracle buying an $82 tablet will achieve all of that. Not forgetting your financial hole will get larger and larger each year with purchasing replacement tabs fir those broken by the students. Which certainly can happen at P1 level. Ok then.

Maybe some suggestions from you using your experience of the thai school system on how things can change by spending 135 billion baht on these tabs ( that's just 3/4 of grade 1)

Thanks

Edited by thaicbr

New books, new classrooms, improved teaching-techniques, and even electricity would have been better.

But those boring old mundane things don't give Yingluck the same positive facesaving photo-ops.

ermm.gif

Thailand as a country has over 99% electrification. Are there really any more than a handful of schools that don't have electricity?!

I seem to remember it was between 2 and 3,000.

The only reference I am aware of is this article from The Nation

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/528092-tablet-pc-project-under-pressure-thailand/

It doesn't provide a source for the data and I have not found any other reference so far. If someone can find a second source, that would be interesting. It would also be interesting to know how many schools are in Thailand, the average number of students per school, and then the average number of students / school without electricity. After all, the issue is how many kids are going to schools without electricity and therefore cannot participate in this program.

I suspect the number is very very small.

From pictures I have seen on various reports over the years I would say school students numbers at the 2000 schools would be about 40 thousand. But that is presuming only 20 students per school. I would imagine that they would be from the poorest families in Thailand ( hill tribes)

rolleyes.gif

473. What improvements?

Sadly he was, as with you and all the other negative people, neglecting to take into account that most initiatives have to start somewhere. Funding is usually a pretty acceptable starting point for most intelligent people. That alone is a move forward, an improvement on a situation where no funding or vision was evident.

Sadly, you, as with all other apologists, fail to recognize that funding without actual progress is a waste of precious resources.

It's not a move forward if nothing occurs except for the siphoning of funds that could have actually be spent productively.

A Billion U.S. dollars without any results is no progress.

Edited by Buchholz

Geo.

Really! Honestly. you dont consider upgrading school facilities to a current standard a reasonable improvement therefore giving teachers more options to engage the students and move away from fixed rote learning.

but miracle on miracle buying a $82 tablet will achieve all of that. Not forgetting your financial hole will get larger and larger each year with purchasing replacement tabs fir those broken by the students. Which certainly can happen at P1 level. Ok then.

Maybe some suggestions from you using your experience of the thai school system on how things can change by spending 135 billion baht on these tabs ( that's just 3/4 of grade 1)

Thanks

Your falure to accept that the tablets are an enabler, and could run in tandem with improving facilities, gives the impression you are just looking for the negatives........you consistently use the one on one as being a poor example of the enjoyment children obtain from the use of tablets, learning should be fun, technology is part of everyday life in the world today, the very fact that Thai children will gain hands on experience is moving them forward alongside the modern world.

• Like 1

Sadly, you, as with all other apologists, fail to recognize that funding without actual progress is a waste of precious resources.

It's not a move forward if nothing occurs except for the siphoning of funds that could have actually be spent productively.

Story time again Buchholz...........perhaps you could write a few that can be down loaded for the children

Geo.

but miracle on miracle buying a $82 tablet will achieve all of that. Not forgetting your financial hole will get larger and larger each year with purchasing replacement tabs fir those broken by the students. Which certainly can happen at P1 level. Ok then.

Thanks

Your falure to accept that the tablets are an enabler, and could run in tandem with improving facilities, gives the impression you are just looking for the negatives........you consistently use the one on one as being a poor example of the enjoyment children obtain from the use of tablets, learning should be fun, technology is part of everyday life in the world today, the very fact that Thai children will gain hands on experience is moving them forward alongside the modern world.

That's were you are very much wrong. I do agree that tablets or netbooks are an enabler. I just believe that at this time in Thailands education development the money could be used in a more constructive manner. This is not looking for negatives it is just being realistic. Having seen 1st hand the state of government schools in general. If they were indeed improving infrastructure and facilities then no problem. But they are taking from Peter to pay Paul.

So maybe its your failure to accept that the money could be spent in a better way. Just asking have you ever been to a government school?

Edited by thaicbr

Story time again Buchholz...........perhaps you could write a few that can be down loaded for the children

a collection of your apologetic fiction would be a fine start

Geo.

Thanks

That's were you are very much wrong. I do agree that tablets or netbooks are an enabler. I just believe that at this time in Thailands education development the money could be used in a more constructive manner. This is not looking for negatives it is just being realistic. Having seen 1st hand the state of government schools in general. If they were indeed improving infrastructure and facilities then no problem. But they are taking from Peter to pay Paul.

So maybe its your failure to accept that the money could be spent in a better way. Just asking have you ever been to a government school?

Circulating fans in the classroom would be a good start from what I've seen of them. Difficult for the students to concentrate when it's a sweltering stuffy 40 degrees.

For hill tribe schools I've been to, having a floor that wasn't just dirt would be another.

Geo.

Thanks

If Peter has under achieved for 50 years it is time to introduce Paul, and perhaps Buchholz can take his shovel and use it to the benefit of the hilltribes by mixing a bit of cement.......wash it first Buccholz!

And now thread has been dragged off the track of reasonable discusion by the usual suspect, time to leave

Thanks for the discussion

• Like 1

Geo.

Thanks

If Peter has under achieved for 50 years it is time to introduce Paul, and perhaps Buchholz can take his shovel and use it to the benefit of the hilltribes by mixing a bit of cement.......wash it first Buccholz!

And now thread has been dragged off the track of reasonable discusion by the usual suspect, time to leave

Such a shame you're leaving, but escaping the reality of the state of Thailand's government schools is understandable in your case.

Well, just in case anyone is interested, I have had a chance to play around with one of these tablets - and they aren't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting.

The overall appearance is a bit like a smaller version of the V1 iPad - the case is machined out of Aluminum with an etched surface and a little plastic insert at the top edge (which I suspect is for the GPS antenna).

The display is WSVGA (1024x600), and seems to a regular (non IPS) LCD. 1GB internal RAM, 8GB flash. CPU is a Rockchip RK2918 - there are 4 physical buttons - power, back and vol +/-. The only external connectors are the charging socket, 3.5mm headphones, micro-USB (OTG, with the host cable supplied) and the SD card slot.

Its running Android 4.0.3, but no indication of which build - the build string just says "eng.azg.20120612.155921" - so it looks like it was compiled about a month ago. The platform is pretty locked down - there is no market installed and attempts to install APKs from a browser prompt for a password. The "USB debugging" option is checked, but although the ADB interface appears there doesn't appear to be any ADB daemon listening on it. There are also only 3 languages installed (Thai, English and Chinese (simplified, PRC)). Most of the Google apps are missing - just Gmail, Maps and Google talk are installed.

The software installed seems a little odd - there are some programs for kids (including 2 origami programs), a Thai handwriting training program, "vLife" (all in Thia) and a program called "Learning System" (which is the only program on the initial launcher screen) - the last is very colourful, but also 100% Thai, so I can't make much comment on it. It also has Kingsoft Office installed.

Oh, and the touch screen is actually pretty good (at least on the sample I've got).

Geo.

Thanks

Ok then. I didn't think I would get any answers or rational argument.

By the way HAVE you ever been to a thai government school?

Schools in Thailand haven't been under achieving for 50 years probably only about 10 or so. The main problem is no long term planning. No infrastructure planning for new projects. And the ability for the education minister to make binding rulings. Like the good example of class segregation. Putting cleverer students in with lower graded students. A good idea you may think except you then have to try and teach the middle ground.

or the no fail rules. Students generally can not fail tests and exams.

Maybe I'm just jaded after 7 years.

But new foriegn teachers are starting and lasting 6mths to a year.

Well, just in case anyone is interested, I have had a chance to play around with one of these tablets - and they aren't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting.

The overall appearance is a bit like a smaller version of the V1 iPad - the case is machined out of Aluminum with an etched surface and a little plastic insert at the top edge (which I suspect is for the GPS antenna).

The display is WSVGA (1024x600), and seems to a regular (non IPS) LCD. 1GB internal RAM, 8GB flash. CPU is a Rockchip RK2918 - there are 4 physical buttons - power, back and vol +/-. The only external connectors are the charging socket, 3.5mm headphones, micro-USB (OTG, with the host cable supplied) and the SD card slot.

Its running Android 4.0.3, but no indication of which build - the build string just says "eng.azg.20120612.155921" - so it looks like it was compiled about a month ago. The platform is pretty locked down - there is no market installed and attempts to install APKs from a browser prompt for a password. The "USB debugging" option is checked, but although the ADB interface appears there doesn't appear to be any ADB daemon listening on it. There are also only 3 languages installed (Thai, English and Chinese (simplified, PRC)). Most of the Google apps are missing - just Gmail, Maps and Google talk are installed.

The software installed seems a little odd - there are some programs for kids (including 2 origami programs), a Thai handwriting training program, "vLife" (all in Thia) and a program called "Learning System" (which is the only program on the initial launcher screen) - the last is very colourful, but also 100% Thai, so I can't make much comment on it. It also has Kingsoft Office installed.

Oh, and the touch screen is actually pretty good (at least on the sample I've got).

Trimesh. Is this one of the units delivered to your school?

Any news from the MOE about how to use in the curriculum?

Any info on further apps?

What are your school doing reference charging and storage ( do the kids take them home)

Does your school have wifi ( I know not extremely important. Just wondering)

Please keep us updated. Thanks

Edited by thaicbr

Sshhhhhhhhhsshhhhhhhh

You're not supposed to say anything positive about any part of this concept, but thank you for the welcome relief of an honest appraisal.

Appreciated.

Hope the kids and eventually Thailand benefit from this.

• Like 1