Commerce Ministry To Inspect Foreign Shareholding In Thailand Later In August

webfact

Commerce Ministry to inspect foreign shareholding in Thailand later in August

BANGKOK, 19 July 2012 (NNT) – The Commerce Ministry is set to launch an inspection on foreign shareholding in the country within a month’s time.

The Department of Business Development Director-General Banyong Limprayoonwong said that the Commerce Ministry has been drafting a set of regulations on the management and the inspection of foreign shareholding in Thai companies, in a bid to more strongly enforce the Alien Business Law of Thailand.

Mr. Banyong conceded that the Ministry’s probe into suspicious foreign shareholdings has been limited and lacked depth.

Such flaws have made it less effective to take legal actions against those who have broken the laws, said the Department of Business Development Director-General.

He added that the Department is set to make the term “Nominee” more definite and clarified, while looking more thoroughly at the amount of shares held, the influence of foreign shareholders and other policies of the company.

According to Mr. Banyong, there are more than 27,000 companies with foreign shareholdings, all of which will be scrutinized by the Department of Business Development.

He stated that any company found to be in violation of the laws will face further investigation by the Department of Special Investigation.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-19 footer_n.gif

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27,000 Companies to investigate, it'll take them at least 30 years to get through them all! whistling.gif

and if ever one or the other to shut down ... will reappear under new, mysterious company blanket ...

Governments all over the world are freaking out as they realize that they have been sleeping while industries worldwide have been working... Government of Thailand is among the most dis-illusioned, self-righteous and double-standards institutions I have ever in my world encountered... may they take their "beloved" country for the ride they deserve.

Sorry to dis-allusion you, but you haven't seen nothing yet. Would recommend a trip to Africa, in particular Mozambique. Kenya and Nigeria. Being a Government Official, Politician and a crook has been made into an art form!!

• Like 2

If they will be stupid enough to "hurt" one of the bigger , known companies, I have no doubt others will start to look to move to neighboring countries.

I have a feeling real business will not be touched, this no doubt is more aimed at "companies" who own land and property

• Like 2

27,000 Companies to investigate, it'll take them at least 30 years to get through them all! whistling.gif

And with what aim? Is it their intention to drive all foreign investment out of Thailand? If so, this is the most effective way of achieving that aim!

And with what aim? Is it their intention to drive all foreign investment out of Thailand? If so, this is the most effective way of achieving that aim!

Too many Farangs have been using proxies.

You mean people in Dubai? laugh.png

• Like 1

There are some massive companies using so called nominees. This is a very thorny issue.

First let's define a nominee clearly. Very very difficult to do.

Edited by Thai at Heart

If they will be stupid enough to "hurt" one of the bigger , known companies, I have no doubt others will start to look to move to neighboring countries.

I have a feeling real business will not be touched, this no doubt is more aimed at "companies" who own land and property

Agree absolutely. The bigger companies have to enter into joint ventures with Thai partners in order to operate here. Many of these JVs are with major Thai companies run by the 'Elites' so they are not going to be touched. They also provide millions of jobs.

I am sure that companies set up to buy land and not a lot else will be the first to be looked at. Not difficult to spot: no income, no outgo on the report and accounts.