'retirement Visa' Questions

Hi all

at the risk of getting a series of more or less irritated "use the search function" responses, I have a few questions that my last two hours of using the search function and reading haven't made clear.

My status: I'm nearly the dreaded 50. I'm pissed off and want to make a wild escape. It's just possible that I could make some cash this year and if I clear $500000 I'm seriously thinking of jacking in the job and making my 7th visit to LOS indefinite...

So retirement visa...yippee! From my reading it seems that getting a 90 day non O first, then extending it to a one year in LOS with a qualifying bank deposit of 800000B is much the easiest way. Much less documentation to get etc etc. Certainly looking at the US embassy website (I'm a UK citizen, but green card resident of the US) the amount of certification, bank documents, police documents medical certificates you have to get and notarised is completely daunting, with the distinct possibility that one or all of them will be found wanting or incorrect and returned for several attempts. I've no idea how you get a criminal record certificate or what one is even...Also many posters here imply that immigration aren't familiar with the OA, and won't readily give you a 1 year stamp at Don Muang if you arrive with one. Whereas the extension process in LOS described on the forum and for example here:

http://www.gaybutton.com/retirementvisa.html

seems very easy.

But my question is: how on earth do I get a non O!!?? I don't have any business, family or other justification that the embassy site seem to suggest is necessary. It seems you can't just say cultural research, tourism etc So how do people do it?

An alternative strategy, but one that seems a bit dubious and the subject of contradictory information on this board, is to go on a 60 day tourist visa, change the status of this to a non O at immigration in BKK, and then apply for the one year retirement extension. But many people say you can't apply for a long stay O inside the country when on a tourist visa, that you basically can't change status from tourist to non O. Can anyone tell me if they've done this? Is it common, accepted, certain, or one of those things that's an exceptional circumstance relying on an officer being in the right mood on a sunny day...

This guy

http://www.geocities.com/huahin_photos/tha...rement.visa.htm

seems to have done it by a combination of the two ie going to LOS on a tourist visa then leaving to get a non O in Penang, and coming backto apply for the retirement extension in LOS. But he doesn't say what the eligibility requirements for the non O in Penang were. I assume again you need a business education or family support reason to get your primary non O that then allows you to apply for long stay retirement, and you can't just say retirement is the reason for applying at that stage. Is this right? Any help from someone who's done these things will be appreciated. Or even a post from someone who's done the complete retirement application in the US before leaving indicating how onerous it really is. (I think I have to use the LA consulate where I am).

I want fun in the sun!

cheers :o

You have a lot of information but not all of it is good.

1. O-A is not a big problem to obtain in the USA. A police report is obtained from the Police - you ask them for one. Other things like notary service are provided free by most banks and you do not need to transfer funds into Thailand until the next year. Up to you.

2. O-A is well recognized by immigration and everyone seems to be getting a year (or two) from them now. The tables turned a year or so ago and now one year stamps are common at Don Muang. Not a problem.

3. O is probably available from smaller Consulates easier than the large ones and a good reason would be to check on retirement options.

4. Changing of a tourist visa (60 day from Consulate) can and is done easily for retirement. Just an extra step involved.

5. If you are over 50 there should not be a problem getting an O visa in Penang - if you have 200k or more in a Thai bank account you can probably make that a multi entry O visa.

6. You can use any Consulate by mail as long as you are in the US.

7. The only question is your 3rd country national status but believe if you have green card and living in US you are treated as a US citizen for visa purposes - LA website probably has information on that.

Simple really.

Get a single entry 3 month non O in your home country ( or Penang if you wish ) on the

basis that you wish to extend for 12 months when in Thailand.

O.P. said

But my question is: how on earth do I get a non O!!?? I don't have any business, family or other justification that the embassy site seem to suggest is necessary. It seems you can't just say cultural research, tourism etc So how do people do it?

Jour justification is simple ... "I want to retire in Thailand"

Naka.

Edited by naka

LA won't be much help because you are not yet 50 and that Consulate is tough as nails. Apply by mail for a mutiple entry Non-Immigrant O visa at the the Thai Consulate-General at Houston, and extend it a year at a time at Immigration in Thailand as soon as you turn 50. Good luck.

OK thanks all :o

Looks like I'm being a little too wary and this might be easier than I thought. I might even just try doing the whole thing from here. Even LA might be alright because when I say I'm nearing the dreaded 50 I mean I'm one week away! Now if only those investments go like I hope.......

cheers for the info

Take DR PP's advise. Houston is a class operation -- friendly and helpful -- and flexible. Call them first and explain your situation -- particularly that you hold a Britiish passport. But that should not be a problem.

LA, as of a year ago, would NOT entertain O-A visas for anyone but US passport holders. So, forget them.

:o

Thanks Dr PP and JG, but, oh no! now I'm all worried again!! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that even though the forms on the LA consulate website specify that, for example, you need a police certificate from 'your state of citizenship OR RESIDENCE' that they still don't accept applications from a state of residence. Nor that someone mentioned on another thread that they contacted their police department (in Hawaii) for a police certificate , and that police department didn't know what they were talking about. This is just what I was imagining would happen, baffling difficulties.

So can I ask just another couple of follow ups?

1. Dr PP were you joking when you said contact the FBI for a criminal record certificate??????????

2. If I do try to apply at Houston for a multiple entry O, what EXACTLY do I give as reason for O application? If I say 'retirement extension once I get to LOS' is that acceptable? It's just that this never appears as a reason justifying applying for an O on any of the forms. And so there is no detail of the documents you would need to submit for this application reason, because it doesn't appear as a reason qualifying you for an O. Sorry to be so particular but I can imagine being told 'if you want a one year "retirement" visa you should apply for an OA' and so forth

cheers

If you go for the O and not the O-A then there's no police clearance certificate required. You simply comply with the financial requiremnts and extend the visa in Thailand. If the local police can't understand what you want, the FBI may be able to help you. There is a Royal Thai Consulate at 1287 Kalani Street Honolulu HI 96819 Tel 522 3400. I don't know what services they offer.

Thanks Dr PP and JG, but, oh no! now I'm all worried again!! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that even though the forms on the LA consulate website specify that, for example, you need a police certificate from 'your state of citizenship OR RESIDENCE' that they still don't accept applications from a state of residence. Nor that someone mentioned on another thread that they contacted their police department (in Hawaii) for a police certificate , and that police department didn't know what they were talking about. This is just what I was imagining would happen, baffling difficulties.

1. Dr PP were you joking when you said contact the FBI for a criminal record certificate??????????

2. If I do try to apply at Houston for a multiple entry O, what EXACTLY do I give as reason for O application? If I say 'retirement extension once I get to LOS' is that acceptable? It's just that this never appears as a reason justifying applying for an O on any of the forms. And so there is no detail of the documents you would need to submit for this application reason, because it doesn't appear as a reason qualifying you for an O. Sorry to be so particular but I can imagine being told 'if you want a one year "retirement" visa you should apply for an OA' and so forth

cheers

You're correct in your thinking that retirement doesnt qualify you for the standard O,When I applied in the U.S. in Feb. of 2005 I was told in no uncertain terms that I ONLY qualified for the multi OA, based on retirement,which I got with virtually no hassles. As far as the police thing is concerned,I dont know about the Hawaii situation mentioned above,but the police clearance to ask for locally is a standard form used most often by job applicants who are being screened by prospective employers as to any criminal background.

I'm closing in on 50 also. Currently living in Udon Thani. Back in the states I went through the Denver Consulate and obtained a 1-year multi-entry non-immigrant 'O' visa. Received it through the mail in 8 days if memory is correct. At the time of application I was (and still am) 49 years old so for the 'reason' I just put "to travel Thailand to find a suitable retirement location".

My visa is good until September 30, 2006. I'll be 50 in June and around that time start 'studying' on what I need to do for the 'retirement' visa.

Listen to Lop and Dr. PP they know their shitte. :o

Steve

ps - and don't hold it against them because they live in BKK and not the thriving metropolis known as Udon Thani. :D:D:D

Edited by LoveDaBlues

I'm closing in on 50 also. Currently living in Udon Thani. Back in the states I went through the Denver Consulate and obtained a 1-year multi-entry non-immigrant 'O' visa. Received it through the mail in 8 days if memory is correct. At the time of application I was (and still am) 49 years old so for the 'reason' I just put "to travel Thailand to find a suitable retirement location".

My visa is good until September 30, 2006. I'll be 50 in June and around that time start 'studying' on what I need to do for the 'retirement' visa.

Listen to Lop and Dr. PP they know their shitte. :D

Steve

ps - and don't hold it against them because they live in BKK and not the thriving metropolis known as Udon Thani. :D:D:D

:o:D

woah! you see how hard it is to work out what to do!! Thanks for the replies, even though they are somewhat contradictory, ie harpman was told 'you only qualify for the OA full retirement visa' while LoveDaBlues got in on a multi non-O by saying he was scouting for retirement locations. I'm sure these are both accurate posts and really reflect an alarming (or encouraging!) lack of consistency between individual offices and visa officials... I'll just have to try it and see

I still favour the multi entry non O approach so far: LoveDaBlues can you remeber what supporting documents you had to send in to get the multi O at Denver? A list would be much appreciated!

cheers

partington, here's the 5 items I used to obtain my visa.

Passport

Passport Photo (only 1 photo needed)

Visa Application (download at www.thaiembdc.org)

Money Order for $125 made payable to D.W. Ringsby

Self Addressed Stamped Envelope (US Postal Service)

Mail to:

attn: Jennifer Gauthiere

Consul Assistant

Royal Thai Consulate General

1123 Auraria Parkway, Suite 200

Denver, CO 80204

You'll want to send by U.S. Postal service. I believe I used 'express' service or something like that; the people at the post office can tell you. Anyway it cost me $3.80 each way if my memory is correct. Put the second envelope (postage already paid) inside the first along with the other stuff. Make sure your passport is current. I believe it must have at least 6 months left on it but don't quote me on that. I got the money order at the post office was easy that way.

You'll get your passport mailed back with the Visa stamp inside....and a huge worry just vanished!

ps - I just made my first 90-day Visa run into Laos. No problem and total cost was 20 baht for 2 shuttle rides, 10 baht passport fee in Laos, 1500 baht entry fee + 50 baht fee because I didn't have a photo. If you have US dollars entry fee is $30.00. Total time was 2 hours.

good luck - Steve

woah! you see how hard it is to work out what to do!! Thanks for the replies, even though they are somewhat contradictory, ie harpman was told 'you only qualify for the OA full retirement visa' while LoveDaBlues got in on a multi non-O by saying he was scouting for retirement locations. I'm sure these are both accurate posts and really reflect an alarming (or encouraging!) lack of consistency between individual offices and visa officials... I'll just have to try it and see

I still favour the multi entry non O approach so far: LoveDaBlues can you remeber what supporting documents you had to send in to get the multi O at Denver? A list would be much appreciated!

cheers

Hello Partington. ,Your 1st paragraph is right on the money.Also,you were correct earlier in saying that there's nothing in the "official" guidelines that state merely "wanting to travel to/retire in Thailand |" is sufficient in and of itself to guarantee the issuance of the 90 day O visa.

But keep in mind that L.D. B. was only 49 when he applied. ,he couldnt of gotten the OA anyway.

Maybe this is why Denver "saw its way clear" to issue him the multi O visa. Also he could have listed a "sponsor" or "guarantor" here in Thailand which I THINK,if i remember correctly,would have qualified him also. In any event,Denver, along with Houston,both seem to be the "friendliest" consulates in the U.S. (I applied in New Orleans,dont know if they will still be there in light of the Katrina catastrophe.) But the service I got there was great also.

thanks guys, it's getting much clearer. My plan should be: 1st do the very easy but non-officially sanctioned non O application at Denver. If refused, do the OA complete at Houston or Denver. Leave LA alone and as a last resort, hire Siam-legal to do it for me.

Now I'm prepared. Wow, this may really happen!

cheers

I wasted a lot of time and money telling the consulate in UK that I wanted a retirement visa. They asked for a No-criminal-record thing which took a month and money from Scotland Yard. Also medical certificate from my doc which cost £25. Etcetera.

When I got my passport back it had exactly the same OM visa I had got the two previous years when I filled in the form where it asked "reason for visit" as "visiting friends", and hadn't mentioned retirement. I had been told to put this in by a friend who's been coming for twenty years.

The "retirement visa" is actually an extension stamp issued in Thailand.

Hope it helps.

Good luck

I wasted a lot of time and money telling the consulate in UK that I wanted a retirement visa. They asked for a No-criminal-record thing which took a month and money from Scotland Yard. Also medical certificate from my doc which cost £25. Etcetera.

When I got my passport back it had exactly the same OM visa I had got the two previous years when I filled in the form where it asked "reason for visit" as "visiting friends", and hadn't mentioned retirement. I had been told to put this in by a friend who's been coming for twenty years.

Hope it helps.

Good luck

Sounds as though they should have given you an O-A visa.

Oh dear! Didn't look at this thread for some time (busy). Sleepyjohn, I know that getting a normal 90 day O visa and then extending it in Thailand is a way of getting an extended 1 year "retirement" stay. It's by far the best way because you don't need nearly as much documentation , no police cetificate and health cert is done in 5 mins and at a tenth of the price. I WANT to do this.

My problem, stated at the start of this thread, was that I didn't understand HOW you get the initial non immigrant O visa. Really to be honest I still don't.

ALL the consular websites. UK AND US, say versions of: "if you want to tour or visit for long periods apply for a tourist visa: don't apply for a non immigrant O , these are for business, education,visit thai wife or relations, etc. All these O's seem to ask for supporting documents. I saw one that appeared to be a guarantor statement that you had to get someone in Thailand or your home country to sign saying 1.how long they've known you and 2. that you have enough money to support yourself and get home and 3.that if you don't, they agree to pay for you!

And now here you are saying apparently that you can just write "visiting friends" on the O application, not add any supporting documents and they'll just give you one??? Is this right?? How did you do it??? And where???

cheers

Hope it helps.

Good luck

Looks like I'm being a little too wary and this might be easier than I thought. I might even just try doing the whole thing from here. Even LA might be alright because when I say I'm nearing the dreaded 50 I mean I'm one week away! Now if only those investments go like I hope.......

cheers for the info

You're 50 now so apply at LA if you like, but you can apply at other Consulate's by mail. Houston and Denver are good bets.

cheers for the info

You're 50 now so apply at LA if you like, but you can apply at other Consulate's by mail. Houston and Denver are good bets.

Thanks Doc, but to quote JimGant above:

" LA, as of a year ago, would NOT entertain O-A visas for anyone but US passport holders. So, forget them."

I'm a Brit, and I thought it would probablybe useful to repeat this info to save others a wasted application!

I ideally wanted to avoid the full OA application here because the medical cert. and police cert. thing in the US seems complex (e.g will a police cert from here even count with the Thai immigration authorities because I'm a UK citizen, though I've been here 10 years) and expensive. I may not have the choice though, and may have to try a full OA at one of the lesser consulates that can cope with a green card holder applying...

cheers for the help

:D:D

You're correct in your thinking that retirement doesnt qualify you for the standard O,When I applied in the U.S. in Feb. of 2005 I was told in no uncertain terms that I ONLY qualified for the multi OA, based on retirement,which I got with virtually no hassles. As far as the police thing is concerned,I dont know about the Hawaii situation mentioned above,but the police clearance to ask for locally is a standard form used most often by job applicants who are being screened by prospective employers as to any criminal background.

I was the one from hawaii. they didnt know what I was talking about. then went to the fbs

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm and found out it would be 8 weeks and i need a full set of fingerprints. tried police again and after much runaround i was directed to the records section. sent a letter to them, per our phone call, with general information and got the letter back in a week. havent tried it but it looks good and the hawaiian concul said police letter would be ok.

Jimmy

An O extended in Thailand is your best option in my opinion. Less paperwork and no police clearances. You'd have to get clearances fron the US and UK and anywhere else you have lived for longer than 12 months. Good luck.

Purpose of visit is RETIREMENT. As stated above there is no police clearance certificate required fot the O visa. Houston is good to deal with, LA is not.

• 1 month later...
LA won't be much help because you are not yet 50 and that Consulate is tough as nails. Apply by mail for a mutiple entry Non-Immigrant O visa at the the Thai Consulate-General at Houston, and extend it a year at a time at Immigration in Thailand as soon as you turn 50. Good luck.

If you enter the Kingdom with a One Year Non-Immigrant for retirement, the person has to do a run every tree month.

But is the person (after one year) able to extend that Visa at Immigration based on retirement for yet another year without he never need to leave the Kingdom again? Or will the demand about a run every tree mount continue?

Cheers, Andreas

If you arrive on a one year multi entry non immigrant visa you can extend during the last 30 day of any entry of that visa at an immigration office. Once you extend (one year from last date of entry) you never have to make visa runs - but starting 90 days later you must report your address to immigration and do so each 90 days that you remain in Thailand. This can be done in person, by proxy or by mail so is not a major problem. To travel outside of Thailand you must first obtain a re entry permit to keep your extension alive.

As you are British, consider buying a ticket to Thailand via the UK and then use one of the consulates - Hull or Cardiff - to get a multi-entry non-o visa based on retirement as the purpose You will need bank statement to prove funds but that is all if you are over 50. Visa can be issued same day. Also you can get London embassy to issue full one year retirement visa but they are tougher and occasionally nasty about things and will take more than one day (never used them so can't elaborate).