Service Charge At Bangkapong

madgolfer

Bangpakong...been several times...great course however after the game had a drink and the bill had 10% service charge added to it as did all in our group.

There is no mention of a service charge on the menu.

Anyhow I refused to pay it because acording to me and I maybe wrong here if it's not somewhere in writing or your told about it it's a ripoff.

It all ended up with what would have been the manager demanding I pay...stood firm and refused to pay at which stage she became angry threw her arms in the air and said "What I must have it on the menu ?"

Outcome was non of our group paid the charge.

Is it reasonable to argue the point ?

Would this be something that would be done to Falang only or would Thais get 10% added to their bill and just pay it ?

Edited by madgolfer

I, too get irritated when unexpected fees show up on a restaurant tab. I don't know what the custom is at the golf courses here so I don't know whether it was customary to hit you up.

But I do have a few "rules", and one of them is to never piss off anybody that can spit in my food. And another is that if I accidentally (or due to my Richard head nature) do piss off someone who can spit in my future food, I won't go back there to eat. And those rules are definitely not specific to Thailand.

Besides, I hate to diminish my enjoyment of a recreational outing with an argument over a buck or so.

Not that I disagree with you, because to each his own. I completely understand your irritation.

(And I'm expecting some TV responses saying I'm a wimp and should grow a pair and that people like me are why these things keep happening and...and...) Yes, I'm a wimp. And when I accepted that was okay, life became much easier and more pleasant.

I, too get irritated when unexpected fees show up on a restaurant tab. I don't know what the custom is at the golf courses here so I don't know whether it was customary to hit you up.

But I do have a few "rules", and one of them is to never piss off anybody that can spit in my food. And another is that if I accidentally (or due to my Richard head nature) do piss off someone who can spit in my future food, I won't go back there to eat. And those rules are definitely not specific to Thailand.

Besides, I hate to diminish my enjoyment of a recreational outing with an argument over a buck or so.

Not that I disagree with you, because to each his own. I completely understand your irritation.

(And I'm expecting some TV responses saying I'm a wimp and should grow a pair and that people like me are why these things keep happening and...and...) Yes, I'm a wimp. And when I accepted that was okay, life became much easier and more pleasant.

Aha . . . . you 'may' be a whimp; but you still have all of your front-teeth, hey ? !

Like your honesty and also your "inner-reasonings" !

Cheers mate ! !

When I played there earlier this year the cost of a bottle of Singha at the bar was only 70 bht. Thats less than most other thai courses so I would not have quibbled with a 10 bht service charge.

If it was only 10 BHT that would be acceptable, but it was 10%, so I'm all for the OP in refusing to pay.

When I played there earlier this year the cost of a bottle of Singha at the bar was only 70 bht. Thats less than most other thai courses so I would not have quibbled with a 10 bht service charge.

If it was only 10 BHT that would be acceptable, but it was 10%, so I'm all for the OP in refusing to pay.

So if the bill was around 3-400 thb, it must have been as much as 30-40 thb extra. Big deal compared to what you tipped the caddy.

I understand your frustration, but at the same time, I don't think I'm going to get into it with the manager over 10%. For something like this, I would pay the 10% and just not eat there in the future. That's just my take. Not saying OP is right or wrong, just how I'd handle it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...