Is That Dog Crap On Your Street Food?

Felix Lynn

On the next Thailand Today,

New DNA evidence brings hope to finding the killer of British back packer Kirsty Jones, raped and murdered in Chiang Mai more than five years ago.

Have you ever heard a soi dog ask: “Hong nam, tee nai, mai?” Neither have I, which gives credence to theory that what they “do” in the road, goes in and on your street food, and deep down your gullet.

And a convicted murderer is planning to file the first ever civil suit for human trafficking.

All that and the Thai Language BBC news goes down for the count, on the next Thailand Today, each Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 5am, 1pm and 9pm, only on http://www.radiobangkok.net Hot in the city!

This quick note, please visit our website and take our Radio Bangkok

Survey. It takes only a couple of minutes. Also, Radio Bangkok reaches

150,000 listeners a month and if you or your company would like to

sponsor Thailand Today or any of our shows, visit our website or email us at

[email protected]

Regarding the street food, is that to say food stalls, etc, drag the food on the streets or groud before serving it? Blocks of ice are sometimes dropped or set on the ground though. Regardless, besides dog poo, don't forget there are hordes of flying insects wandering around on food and do their own share of leaving behind crap not to mention whatever else that may have been crawling around in.

[edit] Also there are vendors who might sneeze, pick their nose, etc. then prepare or serve your food.

Edited by AmeriThai

~

HEY! Get your food away from my dog crap, willya?

My Thai wife shares your opinion about 'street food', which is interesting since she grew up in very backwater east-central Thailand. Sometimes I catch a really delicious smell from some little street vendor but she wrinkles her nose and says, "Dirty, very dirty."

I guess when you think about it, animal/bird droppings dry quickly in this sun then get pulverized and airborne from the traffic..

Lets see, is that a crispy flour coating or a layer of... Aarrgghh!

One of the things that have gotten me laid out flat (except when I am on the toilet) many times is shrimp/prawns that are on those ice trays in front of restaurants.

Hoo, boy, talk about those ole belly-cramps and embarrassing noises, eh?

The wife goes to visit family for a few days.. :o

It figures tho, doesn't it? Cold moves downward so only the very lower surface of the seafood is actually cool while the remaining 90% is petri-dishing in the blazing sun; except of course for the upper surfaces that are protected by flies and dog crap...

Well, I was actually hoping to drop a kilo or two and now I have gone and lost my appetite for at least a week or so..

Life is good... :D

I always ondered why the street food taste so much better than restaurants. Now I know, Its the booger, dog crap, dead flies :o:D

and we can't foget, when these vendor go pee pee, the likelyhood of them washing their hands are slim to none

I always ondered why the street food taste so much better than restaurants. Now I know, Its the booger, dog crap, dead flies :o:D

and we can't foget, when these vendor go pee pee, the likelyhood of them washing their hands are slim to none

Nah! Most of them are tidy and wash up after trips to the toilet. They scrub up with the same tubs of dark greasy water they keep by the curb to wash the dishes.

:D

My analysis of street food does not prevent me from eating. It's almost time for my daily glui thod, sap maaak!

Only a real man can admit that :D In which case I must say Glui thod is ok but a good fixin of Lothee with eggs during the late evening for me with nice hot coffee :o ...ummmm so fattening

The only time I ever got sick eating in Thailand was a western breakfast at a farung owned restraunt. :o

cv

I've never been sick from eatng street food, although the lack of good sanitary practice leaves a lot to be desired.

The only time I've ever been sick from eating food in Thailand was from one of those raw sausages with a cabbage leaf to gnaw in between bites that a brother of my sister-in-law's hubby gave to me. I was so sick I thought I was going to die. A doctor was came to the house by motorcycle and gave me an injection in the hip. After I was "feeling better" (a very relative term), I was taken to a local clinic. The was out in the sticks and believe me, sanitation seems to be completely unheard of in the area. I've always politely declined any such offerings like that ever since.

But street food, I've never had a problem. It smells great, tastes great, and you can't beat the price.

One thing that the knockers are forgetting is that with street food, one is able to view the "kitchen" and decide for themselves if the visible level of hygene is up to scratch.

Obviously, bacteria is mostly invisable to the naked eye, but by watching the way a street vendor prepares his/her speciality, you can quickly gauge the perceived level of cleanliness.

With 99% of restaurants, the kitchen is not in view of the diner and you can only guess as to what type of food handling techniques are being employed!

So, surely eating street food is SAFER than going to a restaurant???

The one & only time I've ever been sick in Thailand was after a good portion of Durian washed down with a couple bottles of warm Singha.

Never sick eating street food - immunity's built up I guess...

Be careful mate with the durian and beer, I know of one guy who died and another got critically ill.

It's easier to assess what goes into the food at street stalls, if they cook the meals up to order there and then.

An important aspect for me is that it's busy, i.e. fast turnover, the food isn't exposed for too long to sun and dust...and it's a sign that it's a good, popular one, too.

As a customer you have right to view any kitchen IMHO, and I sometimes do.

I do try and be discreet and you can't do it everytime, for these reasons and the price and taste, you cannot beat street food.

redrus

blabbel has a point there - the busier it is the faster the food turnover. Though I would not apply this to large restaurants.

I never got sick other than eating bad fish at a community do. But the oil that street venders use gives me violent runs within 15 minutes. Especially those choux pastry fried donutty things they serve with warm soya milk. Avoid the oil - it is sold second hand from the service department of the bus depot.