Sausage

gharknes

Syd, let us all know how you get on, cheers.

I tried those at the new Central Supermarket: O.K. pretty good. But I also discovered some good ones at Villa Market; the ones that say 'Poach' before browning. I followed the instructions and they turned out great: NO gristle!

Thanks for the heads-up HB. I will check out these Thai ladies sausages tomorrow.

I used to buy sausages from the street vendors a lot, but over time it seemed that the quality went down. I started finding bits of bone or cartilage in the sausages. However, if they were good, then they were very good, especially barbecued over charcoal rather than fried like they are in the western restaurants. Worth a try, anyway, but I have only eaten a couple in the last 6 months, and wasn't very impressed. :o

No bone or cartilege in the ones I bought yesterday morning.

Went there this morning and she wasn't there - neither was the BBQ guy. Maybe they're a Monday-to-Friday job, or arrive after noontime.

After posting the above I walked back past the market and she was there - say 13.30 lunchtime.

I noticed that in Friendship Supermarket, hidden away on the level refridgeration section (as opposed to hanging up on nails) that there is some quality sausage to be found. It is pre-packed and labelled 'Breakfast Sausage'.

This is worth a look,

• 3 weeks later...
I used to buy sausages from the street vendors a lot, but over time it seemed that the quality went down. I started finding bits of bone or cartilage in the sausages. However, if they were good, then they were very good, especially barbecued over charcoal rather than fried like they are in the western restaurants. Worth a try, anyway, but I have only eaten a couple in the last 6 months, and wasn't very impressed. :o

There are quite a selection of 'hot dog' style sausage in glass jars in the supermarkets of Pattaya.

Does anyone have any positive comments about these type of sausage?

I recently bought a pack of 4 'Hot dog style' chicken sausages from 7.11.. They were really nice with a bit of Colemans Mustard, I was quite surprised as the food at 7.11 is normaly not that good. These are great for a snack and easily warmed in the Microwave.

Did anyone ever try the Yard Long Sausage from Foodland Restaurent - wow, it was delicious... Yummy.

I recently bought a pack of 4 'Hot dog style' chicken sausages from 7.11.. They were really nice with a bit of Colemans Mustard, I was quite surprised as the food at 7.11 is normaly not that good. These are great for a snack and easily warmed in the Microwave.

Thanks for the heads-up on 7-11 sausage, I'll give them a try later tonight. :o

• 4 weeks later...
I was in the Central Food Hall yesterday and theu have frozen Waitrose Pork Sausage. Havent actually tried them yet but if they are Waitrose they should be OK.

Expensive though at 299 or was it 399 baht for 16 .... :o

.......as are the sausages on the deli counter at 450 baht a kilo.

• 4 weeks later...

There was a place on Soi Kao Noi just before the railway on the left as you head from Suk, he had good pork sausages.

Western meats in South Pattaya supply lots of places, their meat is good. Owned and operated by a pom, Wayne. They have a good selection of steak, sausages pies, bacon and gammon.

SS Sausage is the place with the B Lucky sign on the Pattaya Nakleua Rd, they have a good selection of meats and cheese. Prices are not that competitive.

Big Joes on soi Rungland has a good range of meats as well as curries and pies.

There was a place on Soi Kao Noi just before the railway on the left as you head from Suk, he had good pork sausages.

Western meats in South Pattaya supply lots of places, their meat is good. Owned and operated by a pom, Wayne. They have a good selection of steak, sausages pies, bacon and gammon.

SS Sausage is the place with the B Lucky sign on the Pattaya Nakleua Rd, they have a good selection of meats and cheese. Prices are not that competitive.

Big Joes on soi Rungland has a good range of meats as well as curries and pies.

Thanks for the heads-up Chang_paarp. I am going to Big Joes tomorrow on Soi Rungland. I will take my camera, and get some close-up photos. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I agree. The last time I was in Naklua, I stopped by at 'SS Sausage' and bought some quality produce. The prices are O.K. for Thailand and if you buy in bulk you get a discount on your sausages and cheese.

Recommended! :)

I have started to get mine from Carre Fore, called country sausage and also the very big chipolatas (when they are not sold out) are very good as well. also they have 5 types of hand made, large/fat hamburgers that go very well on the grill/BBQ!!!

There's a new company near Big C Pattaya Tai - Mr Moo

'English bacon & Sausage'

Anyone tried them??

I got a pack of the Hot Italian sausages--they were terrible. Clearly this company doesn't know how to make sausages--the fat content was too low resulting in a dry mealy sausage. A waste of money.

I also tried the 'jimmy dean' type sausage patties--same story. When unfrozen they were gray on the outside and pink between the patties--very unappetizing. After cooking, their taste was barely ok, but they had the same dry, mealy texture.

How someone could start a sausage business and put out a product like that is beyond amazing to me. Every time I think of it, I just shake my head.

Edited by Jimmyd

I have started to get mine from Carre Fore, called country sausage and also the very big chipolatas (when they are not sold out) are very good as well. also they have 5 types of hand made, large/fat hamburgers that go very well on the grill/BBQ!!!

Thanks for the feedback regarding Carrefour sausage.

I had almost given up on finding quality sausage in Carrefour, I shall check out these 'County Sausages' tomorrow. Thanks! :)