Truevision Hd S200S To Philips Lcd 32 Ta1600 Tv

sub101uk

Hi every body well I got my new Truevision HD S200s Decoder the other day after searching all over Thailand, I am having problems getting the Decoder to work on HD with my TV a Philips LCD TA1600

Since the tv is about 2 years old it does not have a HDMI socket for HD you plug it in the Component cable sockets these are 3 phono sockets marked PR , PB and Yellow .

Now on the back of the TV I have the same 3 Phono sockets I then switch to menu on the TV and switch it to Component so one would have thought I would get a picture but I get nothing .

I called in my local Sat dealer and he tells me that I need a special cable and that a standard phono cable wont do the job so can someone confirm this and if I do need a special cable were on earth do I get one from " Truevision " ?

I can watch tv on the AV video out but after all this I thought I would be able to get HD I wonder if I am alone with this problem .

Cheers

sub101uk

I assume you are talking about the Red/White/Yellow sockets on the TV?

A standard cable should be OK

I am not sure Component is the right option, is there one just marked as Ext

on the menu?

Hi Astral

Thanks very much for the reply , Yes you have confirmed my thoughts the link cable is not some special cable its a standard 3 Plug male phono connector , One end goes into the Decoder and the other end to the Tv .

There is on the rear of the decoder 3 females phono sockets MARKED " COMPONENT OUT " The Sockets are marked as PR ,PB and Y

Now on the rear of my TV I have the same sockets " COMPONENT IN " there are are 3 female Phono sockets , Now at the moment I have it all working on AV1 .To view HD I should just connect the link phono cable and change the TV to COMPONENT IN ,Then it should get HD , But in doing that I get nothing .

I can scan the manuals if you like so you can see what I am getting at , The local Thai sat guys seems to think its a special cable .

All new TVs I understand have a HDMI socket however my TV being 2 years only had the HD input on the COMPONENT IN Phono sockets For receiving HD broadcasts .

I think with all the current problems that True have at the moment since the change over I think I could be waiting a very long tome for true to sort the problem out .

Thanks again

sub101uk

I am not sure that Component video will give you HD

A little better quality than the Composite R/W/Y cable

but only the picture. You will need a further cable for the audio

This may help explain what Component video is about.

For HD you need an HDMI connection

PS make sure the decoder is setup to output the Component signal

Hi Astral

Well both manuals clearly state that if you want to watch HD on the LCD 32TA1600 on page 11 of the manual for this TV its got :- HD ( High Definition ) In

Connect to the Digital Satellite Receive or Video Equipment that Supports Y, Pb and Pr HD ( High Defintion ) Video Formats .

The Manual on the Samsung HD-S200S Decoder Page 10 Has got CONNECTION TO A TV WITH A COMPONENT CABLE , This Section describes how to connect to a TV with a Component video ( Y,Pb and Pr Cable )

Yes on the same page its shows Connection to a TV with a HDMI Cable my TV is 2 years old so it does not have a HDMI socket But it does state for HD just use the Component cable .

I think at the end of the day it looks like I will just have to stick with good old Composite video or buy a new TV thats got a HDMI socket or pay True a 500 baht call out fee to be told " Sorry you cant use the Component cable for HD "

Thanks again for your feed back .

Sub101uk

I also have a TrueVisions (Samsung) set top box and a Philips 32-inch TV with the same component (RGB) output on the decoder and component input on the TV. If you get a proper component cable from an electronics store you can use it as an alternative signal to composite, but the set top box will not output any resolution greater than 525i through analogue so you cannot use it to receive an HD signal (720 or 1080 resolution).

To get a high quality standard definition picture using component cable, just go into the set top box menu and set the resolution to 525i . It will be a better picture than composite but if you increase the resolution to 720 or 1080 the screen will go blank. You can set the resolution to anything you like if you use yellow composite cable because that won't carry an HD signal so effectively you are still getting 525 lines of resolution in the PAL system whatever the resolution says. Suggest use the CVI or YPBPR inputs on your TV if you have them. CVI (Component Video Input) is the most reliable.

The problem is that set top boxes are programmed to only send HD to a TV through a digital connection and that means HDMI. This restriction was forced on TV and set top box manufacturers by the digital management regulators who drew up the standards for HD broadcast transmission and high-def DVD transfer such as Blu-Ray.

The reason they gave for making it impossible to send an HD signal through component was that an analogue signal of that quality could easily be pirated. The HDMI digital signal is encrypted and requires an "authentication handshake" from the signal receiver in the TV, which decrypts it. If it doesn't get a "handshake" it won't transmit the HD signal.

This lunacy is called High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) and an internet search will explain the details better than I can. It has caused enormous problems for consumers who bought HD-ready TVs which did not have a digital (HDMI) connection and even for those who do have HDMI but keep getting HDCP errors. The Philips models you and I have were designed before HDMI became mandatory.

I had a TrueVisions engineer come over to my house and try to find a workaround to this but he didn't succeed because the problem doesn't lie with True, so I'm in the process of shopping around for a new TV with HDMI. Pity, because I like my Philips. The component link does work from a (non-Blu-Ray) regular DVD player and gives the best analogue picture I have ever seen on my TV.

Thanks very much for your input there Camelot , I will ask around the local TV shops and see if I can find a proper component cable but like you say " It Still wont be as good a HDMI link " Since the resolution wont be greater than 525i through analogue so you cannot use it to receive an HD signal (720 or 1080 resolution). So it looks like the only way round this is buy a new TV .

This last one cost me 20k 2 years ago so I dont think I will spend more than 25k All the local shops down here seem to be pushing Samsung at the moment , So LED or Plasma ? With a HDMI Socket , I seem to remember seeing on this Forum that Plasma TVs did not last very long compared with LCD TVs .

Thanks very much info its very clear that whats in the manuals and on the front on the TV are not True " HD Ready "

I dont think so .

Cheers

sub101uk

Hi lomatopo

Well Looking at the rear of the Manual of the Samsung HD-S200Sthere is a Ethernet Port but I was only looking to use a component cable with my Philips TV , I did try a standard 3 plug phono cable but I get nothing ? But I was told that the Component cable was a special cable and not just a 3 plug phone plug . I think in the end if I want to watch HD I will just change the TV to one that has a HDMI socket .

Thanks again for you feed back

sub101uk

Hi lomatopo

Well Looking at the rear of the Manual of the Samsung HD-S200Sthere is a Ethernet Port but I was only looking to use a component cable with my Philips TV , I did try a standard 3 plug phono cable but I get nothing ? But I was told that the Component cable was a special cable and not just a 3 plug phone plug . I think in the end if I want to watch HD I will just change the TV to one that has a HDMI socket .

Thanks again for you feed back

sub101uk

Sorry, I wasn't addressing your question, which I assumed had been answered, but rather was asking a new, different question pertaining to the new TrueVisions HD STB. Yes, hijacking. ;)

The Samsung UA32EH5000RXXT is a full HD (1920x1080) 32" LED unit on sale now at Tesco for 13,990. It has HDMI input.

http://www.tescolotus.com/showpromotion.php?lang=en&id=697&photoid=5122

Edited by lomatopo