High Power Wi-Fi Router-Modem

givenall

Need a recommendation for a high power Wi-Fi router-Modem. I have a true one now and it does not work well in the bedroom which is only a wall away.

Does anyone have or can recommend one that is powerful without adding extended range antenna t replace existing one from true

sorry i can't recomend anything new for you, but i have some suggestions, if you or someone you know is technically inclined:

change the Wifi Channel (admin settings on your router). you may be having collisions with your neighbors, which would cut your range due to interference

change the rotation of your router's antena, that may be enough

check in your router's settings for signal power options, crank it up, naturally.

other than that: just buy a wifi switch and plug that into your router for another access point, but be sure to change the channel, to avoid interference with your router

hope that helps!

PS: most routers are generic that's rebranded for the ISP, so most likely you get another router and it'd be the same hardware as your current.

givenall: most of the router handed out by isp's (true,3bb,tot) are politely said - crap.

Does your router have an extenal antenna, if yes how many? 1,2 or 3 and what make is it?

You don't need a “high power” router, an access point or router usually penetrates a wall or even a floor, unless you live in a bunker of course.

I intend to get the NETGEAR Wireless-N 300 Router with DSL Modem which gets get reports on signal strength. However I cannot find this brand in Thailand any longer so I have to wait until I am on my travels again.

Netgear is widely available in Thailand. Where do you live?

I intend to get the NETGEAR Wireless-N 300 Router with DSL Modem which gets get reports on signal strength. However I cannot find this brand in Thailand any longer so I have to wait until I am on my travels again.

There's a Netgear right now on CL for 500 baht or best offer.

givenall: most of the router handed out by isp's (true,3bb,tot) are politely said - crap. Does your router have an extenal antenna, if yes how many? 1,2 or 3 and what make is it? You don't need a “high power” router, an access point or router usually penetrates a wall or even a floor, unless you live in a bunker of course.

I have Zyxel wi fi router sold by true with one fixed antenna that can' removed. i get full bars in the living room and in bed room only get 2 or 3 when door is open. there is a brick wall between living room and bedroom. maximum distance is 30 meter too

If your Wifi router has an external antenna, build yourself a parabolic signal reflector using some stiff paper, tape, tin foil, and some scissors. See the Link for an overview and use this Link to download a calculator to determine the best reflector dimensions #i.e., shape/size, spacing from vertical antenna, etc#. You can easily pickup a 3db power gain...and a 3db power gain means you've just doubled your effective power. I built/use one on my True-provided Wifi router...works good...the reflector gives me a 3 to 4db gain.

And even in getting less bars/signal in the next room, if the download speed is still good and you are not having disconnects, don't worry about a lower signal level.

Edited by Pib

givenall: most of the router handed out by isp's (true,3bb,tot) are politely said - crap. Does your router have an extenal antenna, if yes how many? 1,2 or 3 and what make is it? You don't need a “high power” router, an access point or router usually penetrates a wall or even a floor, unless you live in a bunker of course.

I have Zyxel wi fi router sold by true with one fixed antenna that can' removed. i get full bars in the living room and in bed room only get 2 or 3 when door is open. there is a brick wall between living room and bedroom. maximum distance is 30 meter too

that is unusually low. how old is the router?

one wall should not be having an effect on your signal there is something else wrong here, as suggested change the channel, you may also find that raising the router to a higher location will improve the signal - also where you have it situated now may have electrical cables in the wall which will reduce the signal, increasing the power output is not the correct thing to do as it can cause more problems - the power is only increased in one direction

finally if you have say 2 bars on your signal it is more than enough for internet usage - you don't need 5 bar signal unless you are networking within your home