Roundtrip Ping Times For Voip

MattFS218

I'm trying to see if the typical residential broadband connections available in Thailand are capable of high performance, low latency connections VoIP connections to the states. Does anyone know if you can consistently achieve under 300ms ping times to the states? If I remember correctly, most of the time I couldn't get under 500ms, but in India (which is a greater distance) i get under 300ms no problem.

How about from Phuket?

Thanks

For some reasons ping times to Europe are higher (500-700msec) then ping times to the US.

I guess most internet traffic gets routed through the US, even traffic destined for Europe...

Ping times under 500 msec are perfectly acceptable for VOIP, pings ove 1000 msec will get you serious delays, although voice clarity will not suffer.

Normally only satellite internet users have to take these long ping times into account

For some reasons ping times to Europe are higher (500-700msec) then ping times to the US.

I guess most internet traffic gets routed through the US, even traffic destined for Europe...

I thought it was all the traffic, going down one cable, via Korea and Japan?

A saying about not putting all your eggs in one basket comes to mind. :o

Ping times under 500 msec are perfectly acceptable for VOIP, pings ove 1000 msec will get you serious delays, although voice clarity will not suffer.

VoIP requires low latency dedicated bandwidth (QoS) to run at its best, we will be implementing on our site soon - and have needed to create a dedicated VLAN with high priority in order to route the voice traffic with the least amount of latency possible...

From this I dont understand how roundtrip ping times over 1000ms will get you serious delays but clarity will not suffer.... I have read that latency should be no more than 250ms between speaker and listener - ideally 150ms

:o

I'm trying to see if the typical residential broadband connections available in Thailand are capable of high performance, low latency connections VoIP connections to the states. Does anyone know if you can consistently achieve under 300ms ping times to the states? If I remember correctly, most of the time I couldn't get under 500ms, but in India (which is a greater distance) i get under 300ms no problem.

How about from Phuket?

Thanks

Certanly can. Distance is less the issue. Typically it's local end issues (sometimes termed the last mile) that are primary contributors to poor VoIP. In the end to end routing from here to the USA typically the poor performance can be blamed on the shared consumer media (like TRUE or TOT or TT&T ADSL networks) and/or high share ratios on the local ISP bandwidth. If you are using a shared media + bandwidth as consumer ADSL typically no guarantee on the spec ... Can be anything from zero to 100% of the performance they promote. TRUE is a true promoter ... But not much else about TRUE is true. Obsolete copper wire infrastructure (esp with TOT in some areas) can be a contributor. VoIP begins having problems when delays hit 500-600ms. ...VoIP tolerates very little packet loss. For VoIP the speed is less important than latency, jitter, and packet loss. The key in achieving reliable QOS VoIP from here is choosing the right media and bandwidth package. ...The right choices can vary from area to area within Bangkok and upcountry. If you require any help we certainly can, much experience in the biz of VoIP here and within greater Asia.

The end to end protocol translations and compressions, and finally the swithed routings to PSTN destinations are all additive factors, cumulative. Choosing a good provider at the switched end (other end to the called cell or fixed line number) is also important. Best to choose IP calling provider with tier1 routings (meaning a certain ninimum quality level quarantee to qualify as tier1 routing). Sometimes cheaper rate to a destination can mean high compression which may not be an issue calling between countries with great competitive BW infrastructure (calling IP from UK to USA cell for example) but can become an issue IP calling from a country like Thailand (IP from Thailand to USA cell for example). Selecting different codecs (that's the VoIP compression protocol used to transmit the conversation) in your equipment can also help improve call quality. Different codecs react differently given different bandwidth situations. Some are more efficinet than others in terms of bandwidth usage which can be good or bad depnding again on your local situation.

How you manage your local lan network is also an issue. May be necessary to create rules to prioritize voice packets in situations with frequent data packet bursts or on underspeced networks that are often peaking the bandwidth capacity.

Sometimes a dialup connection (which is dedicated unshared media to the ISP) with the right properly chosen dialup package (ones with low share ratios and adequate international bandwidth links) from ISPs can deliver better IP calling experience tha broadband consumer ADSL.

More questions:

1) In Chiang Mai, what internet service would be recommended if the primary concern is VOIP quality?

2) Do Thai ISPs actually use QOS tags? My equipment supports QOS but I am under the impression that many US isp companies will strip them unless you are explicitly paying for that. I wonder what the thai policy is regarding this.

3) My calling area will be mostly in Seattle. I currently have 1 VOIP provider in Seattle and a few in California. As I understand it, LA is generally the first hop into the west coast. Which provider is most likely to give me the best service?

If anyone in CM could give me some ping times I would greatly appreciate it!

69.25.143.141 (Seattle)

147.135.8.128 (L.A.)

64.71.129.77 (Walnut Creek)

67.43.159.38 (Newport Beach)

On a side note regarding latency, here is some info regarding MTU I've found:

VoIP Problems - MTU

Some people suggest that lowering MTU in the router is sufficient and others say it must be coordinated with the ISP. Any thoughts?