The Agonising Blows That Expose The Evil Secrets Of Thailands Elephant Tourism Con:

Lite Beer

There are good and bad of every thing, not all Elephants are miss treat, they are very intelligent animals and will only do what they want, if you miss treat them believe

me they will get you.

This Elephant is the wife's pet, The baby Elephant has never been miss treat and the baby elephant will do almost anything it is ask to do, It has never had any training, the baby Elephants mother is always stood close by. we see it as part of the family and is always treat the same as a person.

"There are good and bad of every thing, not all Elephants are miss treat, they are very intelligent animals and will only do what they want, if you miss treat them believe they will get you" - complete and utter tosh!

THe use of pure fantasy and anthropomorphism to put forward a totally ridiculous argument - if it was true we'd have had a "revolution" of elephants decades ago.

citing one example is also a weak way to make a point.

Frankly it is this kind of banal and unthinking attiude that allows the expooitation of elephants and all other animals to continue unabated.

And who exactly made you the only and final judge about all matters concerning elephant conservation in Thailand? Not so sure your all or nothing approach will show the best results in this country. Ok you can start bashing me now.

Do you actually have a point of view on the subject?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I most certainly do, but the moderators will not allow the expression of that thought without negative consequences to yours truly. Meanwhile, while not advocating the farming of pachyderms, in your case cowsill, it would make me happy to make an alternative "modest proposal".

I'm not sure what point you are making here.....you can account for 3 baby elephants?

...... or do you think it is a good idea to breed them in captivity?

Well you asked, somewhat rhetorically mind you, where the baby elephants were coming from and by innuendo you hinted that they came from Burma. I made a clear case that people do know where the baby elephants come from and not all come from Burma. You will not find a Burmese born baby elephant at Mae Sa, the largest elephant camp in the Kingdom. The more general point I have repeatedly been trying to make here, often to deaf ears, is that the good elephant camps are part of the solution and not part of the problem and thus domesticated breeding is not only good but necessary for the survival of the species.

I seriously doubt that breeding per se of domesticated elephants actually helps survival of wild populations of Asian elephants unless some of those bred can actually be released to the wild and become part of wild breeding herds. Perhaps you could define what is a "good elephant camp". Perhaps one where animals are treated humanely, breeding is kept to a minimum, and done selectively, using studbooks so that the genetic integrity of the breeding herd is maintained without inbreeding depression, and where selective release of suitable elephants to the wild is done and monitored so that reintroduced elephants don't become problems for farmers living adjacent to the forest. If the community of elephant owners could speak with unity and come up with some guidelines for managing captive breeding herds so they have conservation value, it might be a step forward for Asian elephants.

I most certainly do, but the moderators will not allow the expression of that thought without negative consequences to yours truly. Meanwhile, while not advocating the farming of pachyderms, in your case cowsill, it would make me happy to make an alternative "modest proposal".

So please, what is this proposal?