Gun-Toting British “Doctor” Arrested In Parking Dispute

Rimmer

The police informed Mr. Steve that foreigners by law are not allowed to own or carry guns in Thailand.

That is misinformation, and wrong. Foreigners CAN own and, can register the gun in Thailand, but can not carry them around. You can own it for your protection in the home or your business.

Yes, but they have to own a business and have a work permit, and also a clear criminal record from thier homecountry.

All gunn licenses is for having the gun at home, if you want to bring it around you will need a special license and in some provinces they not give these at all (like Phuket) !

So, what are you saying, you are right, The reply that I posted says, ( The police are wrong with what they said, BECAUSE a foreigner can buy and own a gun in Thailand)

So your point of the reply is?????

I think his point is your an idiot. Most farangs don't qualify in any way shape of form. By most I mean the 90 to 95 percentile. And yor post seems to emply that everybody should have a gun and be allowed to intimidate any and all persons he deems . I afraid that the BIB carry guns. Pull your head out.

Oh and I'm sorry, 1 in 100 farangs qualify to carry guns if they are on the correct visa and have a work permit.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct hotandhumid, this is the same guy that has the dentist. He has told me that he's Australian but lived in UK for many years. He has also shown me his house in oz. on Google Earth and told me he used to be a life guard at a beach very near his house. Also i think it's worth a mention that his wife's work is very good and i have yet to find a cheaper dentist.

Ha ha ha, thought it was him. I wasn't that keen on him if I'm honest, but wouldn't have had him down for something like this.

I need a trip to the dentist so may check it out.

He wasnt waving it around, it was in a bag that the report said 'appeared to have gun'. It took the police to find that it was a gun.

Now if you can own a gun but not carry it then he has not broken the law.

I believe the law is you can have it inside your home or biz, but can not carry it around. Also, it was registered to his wife. So he had it in his possession outside his house on his person (in a bag he was carrying). Illegal here for sure.

I have a relative who was caught with an unregistered gun up in Issan during a road side check. He's in jail and the cops want 100k Baht or he stays in jail. No farang involved.

Many Thais also carry gun, but I suppose the English one is bigger and more powerful which scare off the tiny Thai one.

A 9mm with 8 rounds is not a Dirty Harry .44 Magnum. Get a grip. ermm.gif

I think he was referring to a more fleshy type of gun wink.png

• Like 1

Surprised at you ThaiVisa!

Quote:-

They called his wife to be a translator to find out what was going on. She told police that her husband had a doctorate degree of engineering and has been living in Thailand for 5 years. His pregnant wife is also a medical doctor.

What is the point that you are trying to make?

Well the headline spells "doctor" and that would indicate that he is, in fact, not a doctor (or perhaps one with a fake or bought degree). As in "Last night I was dragged into that bar in Nana Plaza which has all those curvy "women" that many visitors find so attractive". The article however clearly states that he holds a doctorate though not in medical sciences. I gues someone did not know that a doctor is not just someone who tells you to say "aaaaaah".

I guess that would have been his point. Misleadingly edited headlines.

And now, we move into TV speculation time... perhaps he felt he needed to brandish a weapon because he'd tried the normal legal remedies and they'd proved ineffective.

Or, perhaps he had been threatened by someone and feared for his family's safety.

Nice anyway to give the family's home address so the neighbors can go around and offer their sympathies at his arrest and incarceration.

No i am afraid he is a complete idiot who thinks he can do what he like s because as well as a being a dentist his wife also has some sort of goverment post. He regularly goes around causing trouble. I was in NANA cafe few days ago and he was on the cafe premises threating somebody. he like's to park in front of the market entrance and wind up the Thai's, they block him in and fill his wifes dental frontage with pick up trucks. She gets the police out to clear them way. hopefully 5 years but i doubt anytime at all, as strings will be pulled. anyway since most of the thai guys in the market have his car number on there phones only a matter of time.

"He was charged with illegally carrying a firearm as a foreigner, which is against the law in Thailand."

Illegally carrying a firearm is illegal in most countries! It is not illegal for foreigners to carry firearms in Thailand, if they have a licence to carry a firearm. These are not easy to obtain but not impossible. Many have been issued to embassy staff and some to DEA agents in Thailand. Technically it is possible for a foreigner who is a private citizen to obtain one if he has a good enough reason, e.g. manager of a jewellery business, but it is now quite difficult even for Thais to get these which have to be renewed annually. On the other hand many licences to keep firearms in the home have been issued to foreigners and they are lifetime permits and heirs can inherit them and also be issued with a lifetime permit. It used to be very easy to get permits to keep as many guns as you wanted at home, if you had a work permit and tabien baan but it is more difficult now for Thais as well to get a permit for more than one.

This idiot apparently had a registered gun but the article doesn't say whose name it was registered in.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

Many Thais also carry gun, but I suppose the English one is bigger and more powerful which scare off the tiny Thai one.

A 9mm with 8 rounds is not a Dirty Harry .44 Magnum. Get a grip. ermm.gif

I think you should "get a grip" - a 9mm will kill just as well as a .44

Gun ownership for farang in Thailand is prudent....who's going to respond to the midnight break-in....NO ONE!! I don't own one in this country because the country makes it very difficult. I do, however, own them in the USA for hunting and home protection; I've had to draw it for both purposes. The uk folks will say just outlaw them. That would be a good idea if it had been done 200 yrs ago. The fact is that, in the event of gun criminalization, the bad guys will still have them and we, law abiding americans, will not. There are a lot of pro's and cons

You're right - its an interesting argument and is being discussed in earnest again following the events in Colorado.

For my part, I'm from the UK and am very happy that guns are very tightly controlled there - and in a lot of Western European countries. I was pretty stunned when reading some of the papers over the week-end, to see that one is 25 times more likely to be killed by a gun in the US than in the UK.

I'd be happy if Thailand moved towards stricter gun control a la the UK, and am dismayed that visitors here are buying them and carrying them (whether they have a Pd.D or not).

• Like 2

This idiot apparently had a registered gun but the article doesn't say whose name it was registered in.

From the article: "The gun was registered in his wife’s name. She had just bought it earlier this month"

a bald man wearing sun glasses

I was wondering if they make sunglasses for baldy people, as they must get there baldy bits burnt. Or do they just rub factor wetsuit up there.

Just curious like wai.gif

SPF wetsuit and/or a hat almost every day, only caught out when forgotten. Also, my husband has had for many years a permawhite band from eyes to ears where the arms of his sunnies go. laugh.png

I feel for the good doctor. I hope they let him go with a weak fine and let him stay in the country. He's got his family and person to protect. In my country being able to protect yourself with a firearm is a right afforded to every law abiding citizen.

I feel for the good doctor. I hope they let him go with a weak fine and let him stay in the country. He's got his family and person to protect. In my country being able to protect yourself with a firearm is a right afforded to every law abiding citizen.

Agreed. But he wasn't protecting his family, he was protecting a place to park his car on a public road that has NO private parking spaces. I've been to this market. Parking is tough to find. Packed.

Read the news report - it was a parking dispute !

Somehow a "you feeling lucky punk ? " display of macho bravado is surely rather OTT, no ?

Funny how its's always guys with guns ermm.gif

and the Denver insidance show what that right can lead to.

Read the news report - it was a parking dispute !

Somehow a "you feeling lucky punk ? " display of macho bravado is surely rather OTT, no ?

Funny how its's always guys with guns ermm.gif

Agreed. But he wasn't protecting his family, he was protecting a place to park his car on a public road that has NO private parking spaces. I've been to this market. Parking is tough to find. Packed.

I did read the post it said

"He believed the area in front of his house should not be used as a public parking lot by inconsiderate people, so he quarreled with the market people because of that. So he carried the gun to protect himself from threats, but his weapon made people suspicious and they reported him to the police."

He wasn't carring the gun to shoot someone in his parking space, he was carring it because when he argued with them about it he was threatened with violence. He's 56yrs old and one man with a pregnant wife at home, who knows what they threatened him or his wife about. As I said I hope the police take a minor fine and let him be on his way..with the gun back.

Because you know at the end of the day, if he was beat or killed over the parking space by some scumbags like the ones who killed elderly tourists in Phuket, then he would be a statistic. But if he shot these bastards he would likely be given the chance to pay a fine and live. Don't know about you, but I'd rather pay the fine and live.

[Don't know about you, but I'd rather pay the fine and live.

I don't think anyone should escalate a situation like this by carrying a loaded firearm. Seems like lunacy to me - what if he used it ? what if he dropped it ? what if he lost / mislaid it ? what if it was forcibly taken off him ? There are better ways to solve ones' problems, in all parts of the world, than brandishing weapons.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone should escalate a situation like this by carrying a loaded firearm. Seems like lunacy to me - what if he used it ? what if he dropped it ? what if he lost / mislaid it ? what if it was forcibly taken off him ? There are better ways to solve ones' problems, in all parts of the world, than brandishing weapons.

He wasn't brandishing it, he had it concealed in a black bag, minding his own business when someone called the cops on him. And all these what if's are ludacris. Yes he could drop it, but if he is attacked better that he have it and stand a chance, then leave himself at the mercy of his attackers.

**reason for edit, grammar nazi hatin**

Edited by Zatoichi

He wasn't brandishing it, he had it concealed in a black bag, minding his own business when someone called the cops on him. And all these what if's are ludaicris. Yes he could drop it, but if he is attacked better that he have it and stand a chance, then leave himself at the mercy of his attackers.

Oh dear sad.png

• Like 1

Pistolos in UK are almost completely illegal...

Pistols

UK law defines a "pistol" as a firearm with a barrel shorter than 30 cm or a total length of less than 60 cm[16] (this definition encompasses revolvers, revolving pistols). Only muzzle-loading pistols—including muzzle-loading revolvers—are permitted; in practice all such firearms use black powder—a Class 1 explosive—as the propellant. All other pistols are prohibited on the UK mainland, with some exceptions such as pistols used for the humane dispatch of injured animals (such as deer) and some historical firearms.

Specific models of blank-firing starting pistol that are "readily convertible" to fire live ammunition can also be banned. The Bruni Olympic .380 BBM blank-firing revolver was banned in 2010 on evidence that it was being illegally converted.[17]

[edit]Long-barrelled revolvers and pistols

"Long-barrelled revolvers" and "long-barrelled pistols" meeting specified criteria are not classified as prohibited pistols; it is legal, with a Class I Firearms Certificate, to own them. The barrel must be at least 30 cm long, and the firearm at least 60 cm long, which can be achieved by having a permanently attached extension to the grip or butt of the firearm. Single-shot firearms of any calibre, and semi-automatic pistols of .22 rimfire calibres, are permitted.

[edit]Target pistols

Aside from special temporary exemptions for major events such as the 2012 Olympics, pistol shooting for sporting purposes has been effectively banned since 1997. As a result, the GB pistol squad has to practice abroad.[18]

A few models of single-shot .22 calibre free pistol, as used in the 50m Olympic 'Free Pistol' match, have been produced to meet the "long-barrelled pistol" conditions. Some free pistols have removable stabiliser bars extending backwards to improve stability; the UK-legal models have been made with non-removable stabilisers to extend the dimensions, instead of contrived and non-functional grip extensions. An example is the Pardini K22 Longarm.[19]

WIKIPEDIA

[edit]

Under these gun laws ... laws about owning 'fire arms' .. do the same laws apply to air rifles or pistols? I know they come in kiddy calibre and the more powerful .22 version. I don't have problems with people parking in my driveway ...

The police informed Mr. Steve that foreigners by law are not allowed to own or carry guns in Thailand.

That is misinformation, and wrong. Foreigners CAN own and, can register the gun in Thailand, but can not carry them around. You can own it for your protection in the home or your business.

Yes, but they have to own a business and have a work permit, and also a clear criminal record from thier homecountry.

All gunn licenses is for having the gun at home, if you want to bring it around you will need a special license and in some provinces they not give these at all (like Phuket) !

Not sure where you got the owning a business from, that is not a requirement.