Truevisions Hd Plus Box - Pvr Or Not.

sniffdog

I've seen True's ads for PVR (complete with tutorial videos) and remember to have seen posts in other threads about using PVR.

When True installed my service (Platinum) last week I asked them about exchanging the box I got (HuaMax?) for a Samsung because I heard that the Samsung has better performance for PVR.

I was surprised that he told me that the software was not ready yet and it would take 5 months before PVR was available.

Is this true? When I click on my remote it asks me to register for PVR and gives me the recommended HDDs.

Edited by sniffdog

I have the Samsung PVR (previously I had the Humax similar to you). At first they had a lot of problems getting the recording capabilities of the new HD box to work, and I understand others were having similar problems. That was a few months ago. Since then, they have been able to set it up, and it works beautifully (much, much better than the Humax box).

Then, about 2 months ago I asked about having a similar set up on one of the other Truevisions HD boxes I have in the house, and the person in customer service told me they still had some set up problems and best to wait until they get the software problems ironed out.

Last month, I took a shot and went to one of their two set up locations in Bangkok, and they couldn't get the PVR to work on their test box in their location, indicating they still have set up problems. I then called customer service and it was suggested that I take one of the boxes from my house to their Rama 6 location and buy the hard disk there and have them set it up (I haven't done this yet).

I have the Samsung PVR (previously I had the Humax similar to you). At first they had a lot of problems getting the recording capabilities of the new HD box to work, and I understand others were having similar problems. That was a few months ago. Since then, they have been able to set it up, and it works beautifully (much, much better than the Humax box).

Yesterday they changed the Humax box for a Samsung after realigning the dish, thinking first that the signal was marginal, given that the Humax was having difficulty decoding some of the channels but not all of them and not all the time (with such symptoms for approximately one week). As soon as they installed the new Samsung box all channels were received perfectly; it seems that the Humax box stopped performing according to specs following the upgrade of their transmission equipment (decoding technology) performed circa July 17, 2012. It seems that resetting the box clears the issue in most of the occurrences, but not in our case (unplug the power source or using the setup menu).

Question?\

When one goes to say the Disney channel and puts into English, hit OK on the remote, English comes on. Change to another channel and then go back to the Disney channel it's once again in Thai. Anyone know why? Anyone know how to successfully set a channel to English and have it remain that way?

TKS

Question?\

When one goes to say the Disney channel and puts into English, hit OK on the remote, English comes on. Change to another channel and then go back to the Disney channel it's once again in Thai. Anyone know why? Anyone know how to successfully set a channel to English and have it remain that way?

TKS

If you want english as your preferred language on the Samsung HD box

Press menu>setup>user setup>language setup>AudioLanguage1 set to English . Press Apply changes then Menu to Exit. English should now be the default (if available)

Question?\

TKS

If you want english as your preferred language on the Samsung HD box

Press menu>setup>user setup>language setup>AudioLanguage1 set to English . Press Apply changes then Menu to Exit. English should now be the default (if available)

Thanks much! Wife was home when the cable guy did the install. After I took your advice, it worked, she presents me with the instruction book! Gotta love em!

Yesterday they changed the Humax box for a Samsung after realigning the dish, thinking first that the signal was marginal, given that the Humax was having difficulty decoding some of the channels but not all of them and not all the time (with such symptoms for approximately one week). As soon as they installed the new Samsung box all channels were received perfectly; it seems that the Humax box stopped performing according to specs following the upgrade of their transmission equipment (decoding technology) performed circa July 17, 2012. It seems that resetting the box clears the issue in most of the occurrences, but not in our case (unplug the power source or using the setup menu).

Human box is supposed to be replaced as supply dictates or so says True. Neighbor had one, true crap.

Unfortunately these HD boxes that are offered are of pretty poor quality.

I don't know how the manufacturers get away with it.

I had one that offered a PVR facility, but it was so poor to respond to the remote,

and the PVR side was flaky as well. I returned it.

The Humax I have now is much better, but no PVR. :bah:

The new Humax HD satellite receivers forced upon us cannot record. But an external harddisk can be attached. Unfortunately, the connection is via eSata, a format not used by external harddisks.

True explained to me that this because of the necessary speed, USB is not fast enough, which - of course - is not True. USB 3.0 is way faster.

The list of harddisks recommended by True (Seagate, WD or Hitachi) is false information, these harddisks do not exists, neither on the respective manufacturer's website, nor in Phantip Plaza..

So what to do?

True sold me an (overpriced) external harddisk with 500 GB capacity and eSata cable, plus a USB connection. (It needs both) for THB 4700.00! That's a very expensive harddisk, considering that a 2 TB HD today costs around THB 3,700.

But that's not all. For letting me record the programs, True charges an additional THB 99 per month. That's right!

Edited by dominique355

Re: eSATA drives, I use these Rosewill HDD enclosures in a lot of installs; they accept any 3.5 " HDD - I've been using Samsung 5400's Spinpoints (2 TB) recently as I got a bunch on sale at Newegg for $99.99 all in (no sales tax, free shipping).

This enclosure has eSATA, which most of my recent PC builds have both on the front and back. I have the Samsung TrueVisions HD box, but no requirement for the PVR functionality.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817173042

post-9615-0-07436600-1343472092_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-08953400-1343472108_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo