Searching For Nigari.

CanadianinBangkok

Hello Everyone,

I'm searching for a store that carries Nigari.

If you are curious to what it is... here's something from wikipedia.

Magnesium chloride (E511[8]) is an important coagulant used in the preparation of tofu from soy milk. In Japan it is sold as nigari (にがり, derived from the Japanese word for "bitter"), a white powder produced from seawater after thesodium chloride has been removed, and the water evaporated. In China it is called lushui (卤水). Nigari or lushuiconsists mostly of magnesium chloride, with some magnesium sulfate and other trace elements. It is also an ingredient in baby formula milk.

Has anyone seen this in Thailand? Better yet, Bangkok.

nigari.jpg

In Thai they called Dee-Klua (Na2SO4) and there are 2 kinds of it, Dee-Klua Thai (Na2SO4) and Dee-Klua Farang (MgSO4.7H20 = Magnesium sulfate ), in Chinese (Thai people also called it) called Jhia-Kor,

you can find it in Chinese pharmacy/drugstore and shop that sell raw materials for making bekery.

If you want Magnesium cholride you can check the link below (in Thai but you can call them)or search for chemical shop.

http://www.clickchemical.com/

In Thai they called Dee-Klua (Na2SO4) and there are 2 kinds of it, Dee-Klua Thai (Na2SO4) and Dee-Klua Farang (MgSO4.7H20 = Magnesium sulfate ), in Chinese (Thai people also called it) called Jhia-Kor,

you can find it in Chinese pharmacy/drugstore and shop that sell raw materials for making bekery.

If you want Magnesium cholride you can check the link below (in Thai but you can call them)or search for chemical shop.

http://www.clickchemical.com/

What I want todo is make tofu with it... do you know if is of food grade quality? I wonder if I can get this in Chinatown?

• 5 months later...