Buying A House In Ubon Ratchathani City Area-

Mike45

My wife and I are coming to Ubon to visit family. My wife wants to look around for something to buy while we are there.

I guess the first rule of real estate is location. My requirement is to be not very far from a good school. My toddler will need to go to school and I would prefer not to drive further than necessary everyday or get stuck in traffic. .

I have looked online and seen the web sites of seriproperty and MLH. They appear to be building most of the new homes in the area but their sites don't explain much about construction techniques or energy efficiency. MLH doesn't even offer prices.

I would like to ask the old and not so old hands of Ubon where they think is a good location, new moo baan, quality developers, quality buildings.

Thanks

Here's a few websites to check out. Hard to believe Sarin doesn't have their own web site with as many moobaans as they have. If they have one I certainly can't find it.

When I did a look a couple years ago I thought Siri's work looked better than Sarin's. Most I talk to in Ubon and on TV seem to agree that the Youth Exchange School is the best right now but I have no first hand experience. Researching for my own little tyke. Siri has a mooban not too far away from there in a location you could avoid some of the heavy traffic

http://www.charoensupubon.com

http://www.siriproperty.com

http://www.teedinubon.com

http://www.ddproperty.com

• Like 1

Got to say that the traffic in Ubon over the passed few years has been getting. not worse, but unmanageable. Best to have a look around, see where you need to go in peak hours, then look to buy. Thais don't like second hand houses and you can find them around. People often seem to buy in new estates only to find they live far from the places they like to go.Jim

Got to say that the traffic in Ubon over the passed few years has been getting. not worse, but unmanageable. Best to have a look around, see where you need to go in peak hours, then look to buy. Thais don't like second hand houses and you can find them around. People often seem to buy in new estates only to find they live far from the places they like to go.Jim

Jim

Traffic is one of my concerns. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the most congested areas so I'm not sure where to stay away from. Like you said I will have to try it out during peak times.

Finding a used house doesn't appear to be easy. I've been looking on past visits.

Why don't you rent first, then look around. Last year would have been a great time to be looking. You would have know which houses

were above water and which ones were below.

Mike

Renting was the plan. I've been reading about others searching fior a nice house to rent in Ubon and not being able to find one. Some are simply buying to find some place to stay.

The other concern is the prices going up and the developments moving further and further out of town to find land. Eventually the new houses will be in inconvienent locations.

If you want, I'll get you in touch with my buddy, he's also a foreigner with a thai wife. He has been searching around recently

and probably be able to answer your questions because he is also doing the same thing.

mike

There are a lot of empty houses in and around Ubon. They don't usually have any signs on. Most are bank reposessions. It may be worth a try to get your wife to ask in the banks, some have a catalogue of these houses for sale usually at much lower prices than you'd expect.

If you want, I'll get you in touch with my buddy, he's also a foreigner with a thai wife. He has been searching around recently

and probably be able to answer your questions because he is also doing the same thing.

mike

Yes I would be interested in that. Thanks

mike

Yes I would be interested in that. Thanks

A long time ago I lived in a Moo Baan in Ubon. Never again. Too congested. Houses too close to one another. You can hear the neighbours fart.

Suggest you rent first, sort out a school and then buy later.

But Ubon is not cheap. Prices are going through the roof. Traffic is horrible especially at peak times-7:30-8:30 am and 4pm-5:30pm.

I also have concerns that I will not be happy living close to another house. Renting has been the plan. Now I am reading how difficult it is to find a place to rent all the while house prices are rising quickly. There isn't an easy answer.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife found a house to rent (more than one) in one short trip walking around a development (government) for 2500 baht a month.

How hard it is to find a house to rent depends upon what you want.

Comment about good school would also be what standards you expect. There are several private schools from the low end to high end of cost that are much better than government schools,

Edited by ubonjoe

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There are 2 condos planned for Ubon. 1 is 19 stories and will be near Big C. Another one is 20 stories and they are still in the early stages of choosing a location. The 19 story one is supposedly confirmed though.

I've tried the above link in both Firefox and IE. Just opens to a blank blue page.

I second the idea of renting before you buy. I did in every place I was unfamiliar with.

In common with some others here, I also found that the best way to find houses for sale was to be on the ground, in the moo baan perhaps, renting, and putting the word about. You'l be surprised how many people want to sell, though some will tout for a daft gullible "farang" price whilst others will be honest and fair. Undoubtedly there will be someone with their ear to the ground.

The same applies to renting. We couldn't find anything from afar but on the ground we found a number of places from 2.5k upwards. Agents cannot live from commissions on such small rentals so BigC and shopping malls as well as a sign out front of your place and looking for signs out front of their place to rent are the order of the day.

there is now an estate agent here in ubon ,his web site is not fully finished yet but its good enough to see the basics

but i am not sure if you are allowed to post the url for it. here...

scotty

Please do.

there is now an estate agent here in ubon ,his web site is not fully finished yet but its good enough to see the basics

but i am not sure if you are allowed to post the url for it. here...

scotty

Please do.

Yes, a link would be very helpful.