Bangkok Receives World'S Best City Award 2012

webfact

Love when this survey comes out every year. Always seems to absolutely infuriate some that so many people actually enjoy this city. It is easily one of my favorite city in the world so I don't disagree although plenty of others I love as well. Most people from home who've come love it too.

And the article got it wrong, Travel + Leisure doesn't have just 30,000 readers, according to their website they have 1.5 million readers

http://www.tlmediaki...derprofile.html

Actually, according to their current ABC Statement, they have a paid circulation of 970,733 copies. In any event, shoddy fact-checking in the OP.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why it'd get the world- it's an amazingly diverse city. Beautiful parks. Great transport system. For what it's worth, Bangkok only just shaded the victory... the top 10 was

1. Bangkok

2. Florence

3. Istanbul

4. Cape Town

5. Sydney

6. Rome

7. New York

8. Hong Kong

9. Kyoto

10. Paris

Hmm Bangkok first, Paris tenth....*Checks calender to see if it's April 1st*

Pretty sure if Bangkok was in France and Paris in Thailand, the position in the table would be reversed.

(This is NOT about any particular nationality François, believe me it's not.)

Looking at the list of the top ten it seems that the majority of

this magazines readership must be the discount / backpacker tourists

I rather reckon Bangkok won out due to its low prices for food and hotels

Just my to cents worth

30,000 readership around the world! That is not even a drop in the ocean!

Maybe they are counting all the old issues in waiting rooms...for example, quite a few people going to dentist office could read that one old issue every day while waiting to be called in for their dentist appointment...that adds up to some big readership numbers after a while.

Like any other big city BKK has its good and bad. When its good (and thats most of the time) its great. When its bad its terrible. But I think nearly all of us who post are farangs and Thais who live here may have very different opinions. Anyway I love it, and as a friend and resident here said "this is the best screwed up city in the world"

I think Bangkok deserves this title. I love Bangkok. The food, the nightlife and plenty to see and do. Unlike Pattaya and Phuket its safe

and the taxis are good and very cheap. Thais still very friendly in spite of the hordes of tourists. I lived and worked there nearly 50 years ago and if anything its more interesting now.

• Like 1

To those expressing disbelief, you are joking right? The award is certainly valid and no joke and the magazine a reputable one for travellers!

Obviously: Sex sells! Especially when it is selling sex.

Who cares if the plumbing doesn't work or the paint is peeling when its the best supplied whore house on the planet.

• Like 1

Is it really prestigious? From a magazine boasting...30.000 readers in the world (it seems preposterous but I am not an English speaker so don't know this magazine no irony) or is the figure wrong? 300.000/3.000.000 readers?

The article states "30,000" which is "thirty thousand"

"30.000" would mean "thirty point zero zero zero" same thing as "thirty"

The difference is the comma " , " versus the decimal point " . "

As to the veracity of the article? No comment, except that I choose to live in Thailand but not in BKK.

I can see why it'd get the world- it's an amazingly diverse city. Beautiful parks. Great transport system. For what it's worth, Bangkok only just shaded the victory... the top 10 was

1. Bangkok

2. Florence

3. Istanbul

4. Cape Town

5. Sydney

6. Rome

7. New York

8. Hong Kong

9. Kyoto

10. Paris

Obviously fake seeing as how the East End of London ain't in the list.

;)

hard to believe ..... lousy pavements to walk , very poor lighting in streets on main road such as sukhumvit or silom you need to slalom between pedestrians and street food seller or souvenir stall etc .... Not to mention the heavy traffic , the over crowed BTS ..... Could be interesting to know how they judge a city , under which criteria.

Yes your not wrong ! and what about the wonderful 'diesal' smell Ooh yum yum !!

Forget Bangkok, how in the hell would Boracay get the best island in the world award. I must have been to 20 islands that leave Boracay for dead in countries like Fiji, Tahiti and even off Australia. There are some fabulous islands around the Pacific.

What a load of rubbish!!! wink.png

Bangkok-Rubbish.jpg

Go take a pic of Caracas, where people are eating garbage! BANGKOK is better than Mexico City

anyone agree? NOt the best of the best but ATLEAST its got PRIVACY for some..

It is what it is...... Take it or leave it. No need to spend all that money to fly to Caracas, I just look out my window at the slums here in BKK to see them eating rubbish, sh*t, anything really or glue sniffifing all day and night, yaba selling and taking in full view....the list goes on and on and on and on. Just trying to keep it light hearted, and anyway, Stickman took the photo wai.gif

If they had been here during the floods last year, or the burning down malls. I wonder if they would be giving this false accolade!

according to the article,BKK apparently won it the 2 years of those occurrences.?? One has to ask the relelevance of a poll of 30,000 people, with an unknown response figure, given the Global Tourist Market.

Bangkok-Rubbish.jpg

Go take a pic of Caracas, where people are eating garbage! BANGKOK is better than Mexico City

It is what it is...... Take it or leave it. No need to spend all that money to fly to Caracas, I just look out my window at the slums here in BKK to see them eating rubbish, sh*t, anything really or glue sniffifing all day and night, yaba selling and taking in full view....the list goes on and on and on and on. Just trying to keep it light hearted, and anyway, Stickman took the photo wai.gif

Not eating garbage, is scavenging for tat, plastic bottles etc. Can see any number of Thais doing the same thing in any Thai City.

If they had been here during the floods last year, or the burning down malls. I wonder if they would be giving this false accolade!

Remember that BKK has been given this award for the pat three years running.

By the same readers of one same magazine, nothing more, if some of them had gone to BKK only once they could answ

Remember that BKK has been given this award for the pat three years running.

YES...by the same readers of one same magazine, nothing more, if some of them had gone to BKK only once they could give the same answer to each new poll for years, for they are not asked for their visas as a proof ... If it is some of those readers never went nowhere, but in the end what a fuss LOL

Unbelieveable....this game with all these fake awards...

Living now for some years in ASIA it is amazing to see for what people get awards.

And behind all these awards is a world of crap, corruption and more bullshit....

Come on guys, you gotta love Bangkok.

Yes it is polluted, but which major city isn't ? Yes it is crowded and footpaths are not wheelchair friendly, but every major city has its negatives.

Bangkok also has a lot to offer and there is something for everybody.

I can understand that tourists love Bangkok !!

HUB of Awards! thumbsup.gif

Great city. Always nice to come back, see and feel the real thing. Bangkok is the place which makes you smile after several months with boring people

and in grey coloured cities

This is vibrant city with all the good and bad things, you like it or you hate it and when the day comes then you move on and never look back.

Bangkok-Rubbish.jpg

Not eating garbage, is scavenging for tat, plastic bottles etc. Can see any number of Thais doing the same thing in any Thai City.

I never said Thai's ate garbage, I SAID GO to Caracas or Mexico City if you want to see the art of scavenging garbage for food. if i was hungry and had nothing to eat in my room, maybe I would come and eat you..