Unfair Parking Ticket

CMweb

Parking rules and fines are usually found on curbside parking signs. Unfortunately, outside of tourist-frequented areas, the information on these signs is usually posted in the Thai language. Curbside or lot signs with a one red diagonal in a blue circle indicate “no parking,” and signs with a red X in a blue circle indicate “no stopping/no parking.”

Painted curbsides also indicate parking regulations. Red and white paint means “no parking;” yellow and white markings mean short-term parking or a bus stop; a white rectangle painted on the road indicates a “parking” zone; and multiple diagonal white lines means parking for motorbikes only.

Laws in Thailand

Just bringing this post up again for those who didn't read it the first time.

This is Thailand, not Britain. The common and official language spoken is Thai. Many traffic signs are in English, but not all, and most traffic signals and signs are consistent with international standards. Conversely, how many traffic instructions in Thai are posted in London?

Which of the two languages is considered the international standard, Thai or English? When a pilot from Germany approaches an airport in Thailand and speaks to air traffic control, what language does he use, German or Thai? Ans. English.

I've never seen any writing on those lines. wink.png

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why all this discussions, as I say in my first post, yes I was wrong and got the fine, no problem with this. But why others don’t get the same on Sunday? This I find very strange from the police rules.

For my licence, I’m a professional truck driver with a international licence, I’m German.

I know some lines on the side from the streets are not parking, but lines on a site walk?

This is Thailand, not Britain. The common and official language spoken is Thai. Many traffic signs are in English, but not all, and most traffic signals and signs are consistent with international standards. Conversely, how many traffic instructions in Thai are posted in London?

Which of the two languages is considered the international standard, Thai or English? When a pilot from Germany approaches an airport in Thailand and speaks to air traffic control, what language does he use, German or Thai? Ans. English.

Misses the point of the discussion, slightly, if not by a mile.

This is what it looked like for those who didn't bother reading the thread.

Btw, I have never been to CM. It must be a very pleasant place (in contrast to other cities in Thailand) judging from the things the local police are concerned with: I.e. issuing parking tickets! smile.png

post-155923-0-29089300-1343269753_thumb.

Not sure why all this discussions

Welcome to this forum!

I’m German.

That may explain why you didn't pay attention to the painted road sign. Because in Germany, so far as I know, traffic signs painted on the road are rare, and if they do exist they are mostly in support of the primary traffic signs which are attached to posts. In Thailand (and in Britain for example) this is not necessarily the case.

• Like 1

"Misses the point of the discussion, slightly, if not by a mile."

Illustrates the point quite well.

Hmmm, I don't see anything written in Thai (or English) about parking. I only see some chequered lines.

post-155923-0-03801000-1343270901_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

Parking rules and fines are usually found on curbside parking signs. Unfortunately, outside of tourist-frequented areas, the information on these signs is usually posted in the Thai language. Curbside or lot signs with a one red diagonal in a blue circle indicate “no parking,” and signs with a red X in a blue circle indicate “no stopping/no parking.”

Painted curbsides also indicate parking regulations. Red and white paint means “no parking;” yellow and white markings mean short-term parking or a bus stop; a white rectangle painted on the road indicates a “parking” zone; and multiple diagonal white lines means parking for motorbikes only.

Laws in Thailand

Good post I was about to repost it my self. It would seem CMweb's claim

"I have any driving license you can own on land, I know the rules but this one is clear new for me."

is false.

Being a sponsor I hope he knows the rules of his business better than he does the traffic rules.

I personally don't care if it is a tourist area. Why should they post signs in English why not Chinese. Korean and the list goes on of foreign tourists.

And if they are a resident they defiantly should have looked the laws up.

Laws in Thailand

When he is parking the plane on the street it is suggested he knows the laws of the country he is in.

You stated that you parked your scooter there last week and when you got back all the bikes were gone except yours...... You neglected to tell us how many days was it before you came back.

whistling.gif

If it were days, I guess his bike would be gone too.

lucky he in thailand if in any other country, they would propaly,tow his bike away and charge him mega bucks to get it back plus a big fine thrown in,another plus for amazing thailand.

I too was chained last week, maybe by the same policeman.;

I had been warned by the staff at Darets a year ago not to leave a bike or a car between 4pm and 7pm , anywhere from Starbucks to the Amora hotel as the police want the roads clear for the early evening rush…..

…..so they chain and clamp; how that helps the traffic flow is not clear to me.

In the past I have been very diligent about parking. On this occasion however excuses aside I was parked there and with another road criminal rapidly approached the policeman as he was chaining.

He had no interest in stopping what he was doing, no interest to even acknowledge us both and no interest in the fact that probably 6 bikes outside the old book shop adjacent to Starbucks were now all parked on the foot path.

I wasn’t angry at my mistake I was angry at the ignorant attitude of the policeman, who simply pointed us in the direction of the station to pay the release fine.

Now before you really all give me a good kicking; imagine you are in this situation. The bike has no plate or licence and under my seat by pure “luck” I have a disc/angle grinder.

At that moment I was all for getting my tool out; but fortunately there was no power source close enough, so in the end I did the right thing and went to pay the fine.

My experience about tickets, I accept and pay it without comment when I am sure that I am wrong, and when I don't know what I do wrong I will ask the people who give me ticket to explain the reason.

I am not sure if I have already post this experience in other topic long time ago, I was with a girl 25 year olds we was eating in a small restaurant in Bangkok , she parked her car near by where no red-white line/yellow-while like, no sign "NO PARKING", when we came out from restaurant she found a ticket front of her car, so she go direct to the police station(can see in ticket) and ask to the first policeman she see "what she did wrong? ", "where is the sing/line no parking?", "do I have to work all day to pay for ticket?", "do I have to go on the TV to ask for my right?", ....she was angry until cry, after talk, explain and stand with idea that she doesn't wrong then she does't need to pay for ticket.

About fair or not fair, try to think every possibilities what can happen while you are not there( near your motorbike), many times happened with me that I parked in a wrong place for a short time but I am near my vehicle, so I can take my vehicle out in time when I see police is writing the ticket.

In your case, sure wrong with red-white line even you didn't see anyone when you back, who know?, may be they are all get a ticket, is it possible?

I had been warned by the staff at Darets a year ago not to leave a bike or a car between 4pm and 7pm , anywhere from Starbucks to the Amora hotel as the police want the roads clear for the early evening rush…..

Looks like here is your answer, why no chaining on Sunday: If their intent is to clear the roads for the evening rush, which doesn't happen on Sunday, they just don't enforce the rules on Sunday.

But anyway, what I do when driving here is: try to follow all the rules, if I still get a fine (which happens now and then), pay it and be happy about it being very cheap in Thailand. I think of it as road tax and don't get upset about it being unfair.

I still get a fine (which happens now and then), pay it and be happy about it being very cheap in Thailand. I think of it as road tax and don't get upset about it being unfair.

You are thinking typical tourist, who came over with his western holiday money.

400bt fine is approximately 5%-7% of an average/typical salary here. How would you feel to get a fine of 5% of your monthly salary. its painful.

a basic road violation fine in UK is £60, and thats a lot less than 3% in most cases.

If you live on Thai income, its damned expensive IMHO

I have suffered the exact same thing in the exact same spot. I am happy to observe the rules and be punished accordingly but when I did it the red lines had faded away and were not visible to me. I assumed that it was parking for Starbucks customers.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by MartinBKK

a few years back i told a ex thai lady friend about the wearing a helmet .the police are about,she did listen and got a ticket.she was expecting me to pay but i did,nt she was not happy.she just said she will get a friend to sort it,never heard anything more about and she moved on too.i,am glad she did move on