Thailand Tops Australian Death List

ripstanley

Considering the way many people behave when they come to Thailand I find these figures surprisingly much lower than I would have expected.

By the tone of the 3 of you that like this post, Sounds like most of the people that sadly are in the stats, are not behaving properly and therefore must be their fault. ????. To stretch it further it's not Thailands fault ??? and the figures are sort of normal. Be in denial is quite normal for a few posters,

I do also admit there are also a per/cent that are crazy on holiday, You get these anywhere you go. So the figures do not concern you???

• Like 1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, how many Australians visit or live in Thailand. The percentage is more important than the numbers. As a percentage it is possibly lower than other foreign nations. "How to lie with Stats" To me one is too many, but it is all part of life.

The stats are not a lie at all. The Department of Foreign Affairs has simply released total deaths by country for Australians for the past 5 years. The OPs heading, while dramatic, is factual.

Here is the list for all countries for Australians living overseas

http://www.dfat.gov....foi-12-4915.pdf

Actually, who really gives a sh*t ?

Potty mouth so early in the evening? coffee1.gif

Early ?

I am a farmer.

And not a drinker.

I get up at 5 and usually am asleep by 10.

And, offtopic.gif

There are a couple of important statistics not considered in this report:

1. What % of Australian deaths can be attributed to the idiot factor?

2. What % of Australian idiots visit Thailand?

Being Australian myself I know what some of us get up to abroad. Unfortunately, whenever I bump into a fellow Australian overseas I'm usually disappointed.

Disappointed in what ways?

It's hard to extract any meaning from these statistics. The numbers should have been normalized to the amount of visitors, or even "man-hours" spent in Thailand. And regarding the illness category, many people retire here and eventually do die here, hopefully of an age-related illness after a full, long life.

Exactly

They tell how many visit and live in Greece and say nothing about the amount in Thailand.

You hit the nail on the head with the retiree's also.

The article was Journalism at it's worst. It tries to make Thailand look bad.

And yet there seems to be a lot of willing believers. But they still choose to live here. Go figure.

Wow, unknown causes of death in US: 12

Thailand: 112

Probably many more Australians visit Thailand than USA, so you need to compare percentages not numbers. The most visited country is most likely to have the most deaths. It would be extremely strange if tourists didn't die here. 20 million visit every year, so some are bound to die. We all will die eventually.

Millions of Australians die in Australia, but that doesn't mean it's dangerous and that the whole population should leave.

Edited by w11guy

Actually if you look at the rows again they switched the other with the unknown row. In the case of the US the other row is above the total row and Thailand has unknown row above the total row. Therefore the unknown deaths in the

US = 50

Thailand = 112

It's hard to extract any meaning from these statistics. The numbers should have been normalized to the amount of visitors, or even "man-hours" spent in Thailand. And regarding the illness category, many people retire here and eventually do die here, hopefully of an age-related illness after a full, long life.

I agree BW, this whole thread is meaningless unless we have comparisons to all visitors, Australian visitors to all other countries around the world, natural mortality rates in the countries examined, the ages of those who died, their dietary and alcohol intake habits, and any number of additional variables....!!

• Like 1

More Australians die in Thailand than in any other foreign country.

is it because not so many Australians are going to other countries than Thailand? Haven't met too many of them making a holiday in Europe.....

I live in Thailand but have only met a few Australians - but everytime I visit Bali, Indonesia - Australians are about 80-85% of the foreigners I meet - I am surprised that there aren't more Australian deaths in Indonesia as compared to Thailand (not referring to the Bali Blast either).

Indonesia is considerably more stricter where Thailand one needs to control and largely take care of themselves. Some people just don't make the best choices when given too much freedom. I'd also consider the type/motives of people who visit each country .. excluding Bali.

If you exclude Bali you would find very few Australian tourists in Indonesia. And the ones you do find run a big big chance of being in a area where alcohol is not served.

The article was obviously written as a scare factor. That is what sells newspapers. Not relevant facts. Such as the safest country to visit based on a per capita scale or the worst country to visit based on a per capita scale.

You know I take this as a joke really. I own a home in America and will not go out at night period. And I live in a middle class neighborhood. Some places are warned against even driving through. Mexico is where I wanted to retire. What a muster cluck that is. So I decided on Thailand after visiting there a few times. I feel safer there than my home country. So, what's up.

I don't associate with other farang much. But the one's that live around me have had no problems. The only problem I see is alcohol. I have health issues where I cannot drink or smoke. But I see so many farang come here and turn into drunks and? That is a huge killer right there.

Actually, who really gives a sh*t ?

Potty mouth so early in the evening? coffee1.gif

Early ?

I am a farmer.

And not a drinker.

I get up at 5 and usually am asleep by 10.

And, offtopic.gif

'potty mouth' basically just means 'rude' mate. thumbsup.gif

I was actually asking a real question.

I guess Australians care.

Then again people from every country die in every country every day.....

And why is that surprising. The sophistication and availability of required postmortem testing is unlikely to be on the same level now, is it? The Democratic Republic of Congo, despite having a similar population to Thailand, probably has an exponentially higher incidence of death with no known cause. Why? Read the second sentence.

But the Democratic Republic of Congo doesn't advertise itself as a wonderful, safe paradise for tourists, nor do tourists visit the Democratic Republic of Congo. Thailand has world-class hospitals that rival anything the West has to offer. If they can manage the hospitals, I'm quite sure they can manage a proper autopsy. Another apologist for Thai incompetence and malfeasance. Surprise, surprise.

Results have to be understood in the context that many people come here to retire (and die). But even so, the vehicular accident rate in Thailand is ridiculous.

I would consider the US annual road death toll of 40,000/year to be more ridiculous considering much more strigent and high tech law enforcement, less corruption and supposedly better standards of driver testing etc.

If you look on the web you will find statistics that apply that 40,000 figure in relation to how many vehicles are registered or how many miles are traveled. Put in this context, Thailand has ten times more traffic deaths than the U.S. does. There are European countries that do better than the U.S., Germany to name just one example but it's nowhere near a 10 to 1 ration such as we have in Thailand. I will suggest that Pattaya has a much higher death rate than this 10 to 1 figure given the attitudes of the drivers here. Example....go to Korat..the people are much more polite when they drive, drive more slowly at an unfrenzied pace, and tend to be more observant of the traffic regulations. Given the homicidal mindset of many drivers here in Pattaya, I'd say the rate is off the charts compared to Europe, the U.S., Australia etc.

Results have to be understood in the context that many people come here to retire (and die). But even so, the vehicular accident rate in Thailand is ridiculous.

I would consider the US annual road death toll of 40,000/year to be more ridiculous considering much more strigent and high tech law enforcement, less corruption and supposedly better standards of driver testing etc.

If you look on the web you will find statistics that apply that 40,000 figure in relation to how many vehicles are registered or how many miles are traveled. Put in this context, Thailand has ten times more traffic deaths than the U.S. does. There are European countries that do better than the U.S., Germany to name just one example but it's nowhere near a 10 to 1 ration such as we have in Thailand. I will suggest that Pattaya has a much higher death rate than this 10 to 1 figure given the attitudes of the drivers here. Example....go to Korat..the people are much more polite when they drive, drive more slowly at an unfrenzied pace, and tend to be more observant of the traffic regulations. Given the homicidal mindset of many drivers here in Pattaya, I'd say the rate is off the charts compared to Europe, the U.S., Australia etc.

And what is the rate of motorbikes on the roads in those countries compared to here? No doubt Thailand needs to continue to address road safety but the majority of vehicles on the road are motorbikes and this is where the vast majority (70%) of deaths come from.

More importantly people, in this case Australians, need to use the education they have learned (drinking driving / helmet use) back home and apply it here regardless if there is a lack of somebody forcing them to use this knowledge.

Edited by Nisa

With 200 million of them with a cell phone glued to their ear, or updating their facebook page behind the wheel, sounds like a quarterly number to me. But of course this is about Assie's and the Thai meaning of accident, I dont think that means road accidents.

With you 100 percent on your comment.

Thanks for sharing that.

Interesting reading. 430 deaths over a 5 year period.

A lot of 'Accidental' and 'Illness'

about 2 austrialian die every week here in thailand blink.png

Im sure at least 1 a week on ko Samui,Thailands most dangerous place to visit,im sure.

Absolutely correct. And it is all about the spineless mayor, spineless sheriff, and spineless police not being willing, capable, or interested in doing anything about it. The traffic issues, the careless driving, the poor roads, etc. I have never heard of one single person being arrested for drunk driving. People are pulled over for not wearing a helmet, but all the spineless police are interested in, is collecting their 500 baht (less for non farangs) villa construction money. The mayor is too busy lining his pockets to give a dam_n about anything that benefits the island. And the central government is completely out to lunch, when it comes to assisting Samui to become the place it should, and could be. The tipping point may be very near, and nobody seems to acknowledge it, or have the common sense, intelligence, or will to do anything about it.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that.

Interesting reading. 430 deaths over a 5 year period.

A lot of 'Accidental' and 'Illness'

about 2 austrialian die every week here in thailand blink.png

Im sure at least 1 a week on ko Samui,Thailands most dangerous place to visit,im sure.

Absolutely correct. And it is all about the spineless mayor, spineless sheriff, and spineless police not being willing, capable, or interested in doing anything about it. The traffic issues, the careless driving, the poor roads, etc. I have never heard of one single person being arrested for drunk driving. People are pulled over for not wearing a helmet, but all the spineless police are interested in, is collecting their 500 baht (less for non farangs) villa construction money. The mayor is too busy lining his pockets to give a dam_n about anything that benefits the island. And the central government is completely out to lunch, when it comes to assisting Samui to become the place it should, and could be. The tipping point may be very near, and nobody seems to acknowledge it, or have the common sense, intelligence, or will to do anything about it.

• Like 1

And why is that surprising. The sophistication and availability of required postmortem testing is unlikely to be on the same level now, is it? The Democratic Republic of Congo, despite having a similar population to Thailand, probably has an exponentially higher incidence of death with no known cause. Why? Read the second sentence.

But the Democratic Republic of Congo doesn't advertise itself as a wonderful, safe paradise for tourists, nor do tourists visit the Democratic Republic of Congo. Thailand has world-class hospitals that rival anything the West has to offer. If they can manage the hospitals, I'm quite sure they can manage a proper autopsy. Another apologist for Thai incompetence and malfeasance. Surprise, surprise.

Your new here and don't have a clue as to the culture. I give you about 6 months and off you go.

The Thais except the fact that a person is dead and they get on with the business of living. Why they died is not that big of a issue to them. They are more interested in life than death. Just another one of the big differences between Thailand and the west. You best be off to your nanny country now. One of these days you are going to wake up and realize that you have to take care of your self here.

• Like 2