Thailand Tops Australian Death List

ripstanley

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of people from all over, not just Australia who die here, amongst the accidental you could include the 'get drunk and ride a motor bike with no helmet, no experience or brains' group.

• Like 1

Come on, how many Australians visit or live in Thailand. The percentage is more important than the numbers. As a percentage it is possibly lower than other foreign nations. "How to lie with Stats" To me one is too many, but it is all part of life.

The stats are not a lie at all. The Department of Foreign Affairs has simply released total deaths by country for Australians for the past 5 years. The OPs heading, while dramatic, is factual.

Here is the list for all countries for Australians living overseas

http://www.dfat.gov.au/foi/downloads/dfat-foi-12-4915.pdf

Wow, unknown causes of death in US: 12

Thailand: 112

? There were 12 (of 43 total deaths) in the US and 15 (of 69 Total deaths) in Thailand in 2011.

Edited by Nisa

Results have to be understood in the context that many people come here to retire (and die). But even so, the vehicular accident rate in Thailand is ridiculous.

I would consider the US annual road death toll of 40,000/year to be more ridiculous considering much more strigent and high tech law enforcement, less corruption and supposedly better standards of driver testing etc.

Sorry. This isn't golf and you don't get a handicap.

Again statistics seen in isolation. To get the correct view of Thailand versus the other countries visited you must compare the deaths as a percentage or per 100 000 visitors. The Australian death rate in Australia was 688 per 100 000 people in 2011 (CIA factbook). In 2011, 854 000 Australians visited Thailand of which 69 died, which gives you a death rate of 8,08 per 100 000 people. Thus it's better for Australians to stay in Thailand than in their own country. Unfortunately I could not get the Australian tourist info for 2011 for Vietnam to do a similar comparison.

Your maths only make sense if the 854,000 visitors were all in Thailand for a whole year.

Even then, the age distribution of the tourists would also need to match the age distribution of the Australian population for the figures to be legitimately compared.

(688 per 100,000 for instance, suggests that there are a comparatively smaller number of elderly Australians as if Australia kept that death rate over the long term, it would mean that the average Australian would live to be 145).

• Like 2

It's hard to extract any meaning from these statistics. The numbers should have been normalized to the amount of visitors, or even "man-hours" spent in Thailand. And regarding the illness category, many people retire here and eventually do die here, hopefully of an age-related illness after a full, long life.

Full and happy life

Thanks for sharing that.

Interesting reading. 430 deaths over a 5 year period.

A lot of 'Accidental' and 'Illness'

about 2 austrialian die every week here in thailand blink.png

and has been that way for many years...certainly lomger than the subjected timeframe Edited by metisdead
: Please use black font when posting.

Again statistics seen in isolation. To get the correct view of Thailand versus the other countries visited you must compare the deaths as a percentage or per 100 000 visitors. The Australian death rate in Australia was 688 per 100 000 people in 2011 (CIA factbook). In 2011, 854 000 Australians visited Thailand of which 69 died, which gives you a death rate of 8,08 per 100 000 people. Thus it's better for Australians to stay in Thailand than in their own country. Unfortunately I could not get the Australian tourist info for 2011 for Vietnam to do a similar comparison.

I agree with your maths but you will need to pick a particular country that visited Australia to co assign a similiar ratio to what Aussies that visited or live in Thailand

Thanks for sharing that.

Interesting reading. 430 deaths over a 5 year period.

A lot of 'Accidental' and 'Illness'

about 2 austrialian die every week here in thailand blink.png

Im sure at least 1 a week on ko Samui,Thailands most dangerous place to visit,im sure.

More dangerous then Phuket or Bangkok ?

I'm waiting for the "it's all their own fault/serves them right" posts that appear whenever the Brits release figures for the Poms:)

You mean like this ... http://travel.aol.co...n-figures-rise/

Some people just can't manage self-control without external forces and the result is too often a bad one.

Edited by Nisa

This data is fairly meaningless without the 'days spent in country times people' figure.

Which would give you your chance of dying in Thailand as a foreign visitor vs. any other country (per day)

i.e.

Countries listed by chance of dying as a tourist: (Thailand doesn't appear in the top 20).

e.g: Australia kicks in at 18 because:

"When you visit Australia, you may find yourself facing one of the ten most poisonous snakes in the world, one of many different types of deadly spiders or even deadly sea creatures. In fact, most consider Australia to be the place where you are most likely to get attacked by wildlife in one way or another."

Russia is at 9. (Don't visit the Caucasus!)

"The Caucasus region of Russia is highly unstable, making certain areas of the country best to avoid. In areas such as Degestan and North Ossetia, open guerilla warfare is still a regular occurrence. Travelers are often kidnapped for ransom and terrorists regularly attack government buildings, hotels, and even schools."

1. Iraq

2. Afghanistan

3. Pakistan

4. Somalia

5. Papua New Guinea

6. Colombia

7. Sudan

8. Burundi

9. Russia

10. Haiti

11. Liberia

12. Congo

13. Zimbabwe

14. Georgia

15. Cote D'Ivoire

16. Venezuela

17. Dominican Republic

18. Australia

19. Taiwan

20. New Zealand

Source: http://allwomenstalk...go-on-vacation/

Yea.

The world is dangerous......

Best just to stay in your home country and sit on the couch.

But, be careful.

You might fall off and die !

• Like 2

Come on, how many Australians visit or live in Thailand. The percentage is more important than the numbers. As a percentage it is possibly lower than other foreign nations. "How to lie with Stats" To me one is too many, but it is all part of life.

The stats are not a lie at all. The Department of Foreign Affairs has simply released total deaths by country for Australians for the past 5 years. The OPs heading, while dramatic, is factual.

http://www.dfat.gov....foi-12-4915.pdf

Actually, who really gives a sh*t ?

Really, let's break down the list:

Unsolved murders - (unknown)

Helped with "suicide" and "helped" with road accidents - (accidental)

Drugs and poisened - (illness)

Lot's of grease money paid - (other)

Let's give them this one, due to old people do die - (natural)

Guess that would make the list only like this:

Natural deaths

"Land of smiles" deaths

• Like 1

This data is fairly meaningless without the 'days spent in country times people' figure.

Which would give you your chance of dying in Thailand as a foreign visitor vs. any other country (per day)

i.e.

Countries listed by chance of dying as a tourist: (Thailand doesn't appear in the top 20).

"When you visit Australia, you may find yourself facing one of the ten most poisonous snakes in the world, one of many different types of deadly spiders or even deadly sea creatures. In fact, most consider Australia to be the place where you are most likely to get attacked by wildlife in one way or another."

"The Caucasus region of Russia is highly unstable, making certain areas of the country best to avoid. In areas such as Degestan and North Ossetia, open guerilla warfare is still a regular occurrence. Travelers are often kidnapped for ransom and terrorists regularly attack government buildings, hotels, and even schools."

1. Iraq

2. Afghanistan

3. Pakistan

4. Somalia

5. Papua New Guinea

6. Colombia

7. Sudan

8. Burundi

9. Russia

10. Haiti

11. Liberia

12. Congo

13. Zimbabwe

14. Georgia

15. Cote D'Ivoire

16. Venezuela

17. Dominican Republic

18. Australia

19. Taiwan

20. New Zealand Wow at last I am proud to be at the bottom of the list------- Dougal the PROUD Kiwi

I live in Thailand but have only met a few Australians - but everytime I visit Bali, Indonesia - Australians are about 80-85% of the foreigners I meet - I am surprised that there aren't more Australian deaths in Indonesia as compared to Thailand (not referring to the Bali Blast either).

i.e.

1. Iraq

2. Afghanistan

3. Pakistan

4. Somalia

5. Papua New Guinea

6. Colombia

7. Sudan

8. Burundi

9. Russia

10. Haiti

11. Liberia

12. Congo

13. Zimbabwe

14. Georgia

15. Cote D'Ivoire

16. Venezuela

17. Dominican Republic

18. Australia

19. Taiwan

20. New Zealand

Yea.

The world is dangerous......

Best just to stay in your home country and sit on the couch.

But, be careful.

You might fall off and die !

However made up this list have got to be idiots

Edited by simple1

http://www.dfat.gov....foi-12-4915.pdf

Actually, who really gives a sh*t ?

Potty mouth so early in the evening? coffee1.gif

I live in Thailand but have only met a few Australians - but everytime I visit Bali, Indonesia - Australians are about 80-85% of the foreigners I meet - I am surprised that there aren't more Australian deaths in Indonesia as compared to Thailand (not referring to the Bali Blast either).

Indonesia is considerably more stricter where Thailand one needs to control and largely take care of themselves. Some people just don't make the best choices when given too much freedom. I'd also consider the type/motives of people who visit each country .. excluding Bali.

Edited by Nisa

Results have to be understood in the context that many people come here to retire (and die). But even so, the vehicular accident rate in Thailand is ridiculous.

I would consider the US annual road death toll of 40,000/year to be more ridiculous considering much more strigent and high tech law enforcement, less corruption and supposedly better standards of driver testing etc.

With 200 million of them with a cell phone glued to their ear, or updating their facebook page behind the wheel, sounds like a quarterly number to me. But of course this is about Assie's and the Thai meaning of accident, I dont think that means road accidents.

Glue, rather than a hand, might save 1,000 per year

• Like 1