Canal Boats To Phet Kasem Etc

Gaccha

In 2005 there was a flurry of activity with new canal routes. One from sathorn to Dao khanong in thonburi, another from memorial bridge via bangkok noi canal to phet kasem soi 20. The boat was numbered 20. You can find internet conversations at that time full of the innocent enthusiasm of a bygone era.

Can I have a definite yes or no as to whether they were cancelled. I think they were but just want to be sure.

Thanks.

I think the one to Phet Kasem Soi 69 didn't last long as it wasn't viable. People shunned it and I for one would have used it since there was a stop just outside my apartment building at the time, but its schedule wasn't properly planned. There was a school on the opposite site of the canal from my apartment, which would have encouraged proper schedule planning, but alas, TIT.

That is jolly good news.... I love the canals and would love a way to zip past the traffic.

The link in English doesn't seem to give any info. Do you know if there will be a counter-direction flow in rushhour, I.e. east to west?

That is jolly good news.... I love the canals and would love a way to zip past the traffic.

The link in English doesn't seem to give any info. Do you know if there will be a counter-direction flow in rushhour, I.e. east to west?

Doesn't give any info?

It lists all the stops, advices it is happening and gives you a planned start period. Given it is planned for the end of 2013, I think you'll need to wait on timetabling info. However, that it is planned to connect with the BTS station at Bang Wah would suggest services in both directions all day.

A number of years ago an acquaintance here in Bangkok suffered permanent eye damage due to a raging bacterial eye infection that he believes, and his Doctors concurred was caused by a douse of canal water in his face while in a Sang Sarb (sp?) canal boat days before. It took almost a year for him to recover.

Numerous squatter communities dump raw fecal sewage and offal into the canals making them vitural cauldrons of bacteria. On a windy day or when there is chop from passing boats, spray back is common and difficult to avoid.

Convenient: yes...worth the risk:.. absolutely not!

Well, the alternative is the Grand Theft Auto-like Thai roads, not the sleepy B roads around Bournemouth....

We should look at the stats before saying it is not worth the risk.... Otherwise, it is blind hysteria that is guiding you.

I enjoyed the running the bayous back home; and would like a small boat to do the same in Bangkok - anyone know of a small (it can be one of the slow flat bottom; no need for long tail) boat for sale? What would it cost to keep up? Any chance to lease out then use when I'm in town? I'm sure the (kinda, somewhat) wise participants on ThaiVisa might have a better understanding of boat ownership in Bangkok.

A number of years ago an acquaintance here in Bangkok suffered permanent eye damage due to a raging bacterial eye infection that he believes, and his Doctors concurred was caused by a douse of canal water in his face while in a Sang Sarb (sp?) canal boat days before. It took almost a year for him to recover.

Numerous squatter communities dump raw fecal sewage and offal into the canals making them vitural cauldrons of bacteria. On a windy day or when there is chop from passing boats, spray back is common and difficult to avoid.

Convenient: yes...worth the risk:.. absolutely not!

What is that a more than a million to one shot considering the number of riders.

Wear sunglasses and a hat.

Life is not without obstacles.

Doc

Dirty water or not... the risks of contaminated spraywater compared with inhaling polluted air alternatively sitting for much longer time in/on taxi, tuktuk or motorbike are much lower.... and taking into account the time saved, the money spend and no traffic jams.... i am very happy with the available boatservices and use it daily getting into and from city.... happy frank