Immunisations To Live In Issan

manxninja

Just out of interest has anyone heard of a person actually contracting malaria in Thailand?

They say you should get hepatitus immunisations also again anyone actually get this from food or drink.

Ive been going for a few years and touch wood havnt caught anything are the injections over kill.

Hi there MN, malaria is common around my area if you go into the real jungle. Dengue is common in most cities. Hep A and B are a world wide problem, best to have no matter where you live.

Simple precautions will keep you safe. Jim

Dont know about Hep A, but Hep B is a blood infection and risks come from unprotected sex with an infected person or blood exposure. You can control the first but someone like me, for whom the Hep B immunisation does not take, would have to be careful about the quality of medical care and sources of blood in the event of an accident. Last time I looked malaria was common along the jungle borders of Cambodia (a la Jim) and Myanmar.

The injections are not overkill IMO.

Edited by SantiSuk

One I forgot, round here there is a higher rate of Japanese encephalitis then in most of Thailand. So much so that the Government came round and inoculated all the school kids.

OP think you just have to check the areas you go to, some will have problems with certain things, all in all it's the big silver twin cabs that are the real danger and unless you travel in a tank not much you can do. Jim

They say you should get hepatitus immunisations also again anyone actually get this from food or drink.

That's just type A, normally pretty harmless. Type B, C, D, E etc are very serious and only transmitted through blood or body fluid.

Only Anti Hep B/C body tests can show if somebody has got this disease, only better hospitals are able to come up with the right diagnosis.

I'd be more worried about Malaria caused by Anopheles mosquitoes, or Dengue caused by Aeeda mosquitoes.

Malaria is pretty common near the Cambodian border and other places over Thailand. but not on islands like Ko Samui.

I'd say an immunization for Hep.A and B would be helpful. Malaria prophylaxes a big question mark. Side effects are strange. wai.gif .

Edited by sirchai

Thanks for the replies . looking at the above a coupe of jabs seem to be in order cheers.

Ask if you can take the Hep A with another immunisation if you are behind on anything else. Looking back at my immunisation record I see that all my boosters of Hep A over the last 20 years have been taken together with Typhoid boosters (I would think you should defo get Typhoid as well, even though it is not endemic, and subject to the caution that I am not a medic). May not apply to the initial dose.

Hep B is a slightly more involved process than your regular jab. It is a 3 jab course over a 3 month period, then a wait for a month to test whether it has taken. That applies to everyone (not just me for whom a few more than that were given before the wrote me off as non-immunisable!)

All E&OE - methods may have changed and may differ form country to country - mine is UK.

Johnnies and jabs - stay protected folks!

Get your Hep-B. Most important. Also I use marmite on my breakfeast toast and the mossies don't seem to bother me now. Thought the marmite was an old wives story but it seems to work for me.

Edited by Deerculler