Chiang Mai Vs. Bangkok?

MALJR

We are planning on visiting Chiang Mia on our next trip to Thailand as we narrow down our retirement options. What do you feel makes Chiang Mai a better retirement destination than Bangkok? What have you found to be missing?

Thanks for you help.

Mike and Somsri.

• Like 1

Small town friendly folk, rural environment, surrounded by nature. Friends everywhere you look.

Big city anonymity, Cement and concrete. Isolation within the crowds.

If you like big city living, move to Bangkok. If you prefer small town comforts, try Chiang Mai.

Since you are familiar with Bangkok, I would start out there. Rent someplace affordable and then take trips to explore other parts of Thailand. Do it in small steps and don’t expect to make one big move and get it right the first time. Just give it time and enjoy the ride.smile.png

• Like 1

What are the medical facilities like in Chang Mai? Has anyone had any experience using Tricare?

Don't even know what tricare is .

But I do know they have great medical facilities and a number of good doctors. We have a doctor who is like a old fashioned family doctor. If a house call is needed she is there.

I enjoy the nightlife in Bangkok, the shopping and the really high end restaurants, but a few days of that every once in a while are enough.

The rest of the time, I much prefer Chiang Mai. It is much easier on the budget, there is plenty of decent food and stuff for foreigners and the winter weather is a welcome treat.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Chiang Mai has hospitals, supermarkets with farang food, second-hand bookstores, several international-schools, lots & lots of restaurants (all classes/cuisines/prices), sits about 1,000 feet above sea-level, and a relaxed non-stressful atmosphere. The locals and farang-community are both very multicultural & cosmopolitan & largely-friendly.

While Bangkok is a capital-city on-the-coast, is prone to flooding, has a convenient airport when entering/leaving the country, and about 15 million more people crammed into it.

Take your pick, then try living there for several months, in rented-accomodation before you buy.

And Welcome one more farang-couple to Chiang Mai ! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I enjoy the nightlife in Bangkok, the shopping and the really high end restaurants, but a few days of that every once in a while are enough.

The rest of the time, I much prefer Chiang Mai. It is much easier on the budget, there is plenty of decent food and stuff for foreigners and the winter weather is a welcome treat.

I am getting the feeling that if finances were not a problem you would opt for Bangkok.

What are the medical facilities like in Chang Mai? Has anyone had any experience using Tricare?

Medical care in the cities in Thailand is up to first world standards at a fraction of the price you'd pay in the U.S. That doesn't make it perfect, and I'm sure lots of people will now post replies with specific complaints, but you'll find problems and complaints, both legitimate and ridiculous, everywhere.

For Tricare questions you might try contacting the Chiang Mai VFW at http://www.vfw-chiangmai.com/.

• Like 2

Heh. "Retirement" and "Bangkok" in the same paragraph. cheesy.gif

I am looking forward to move out of Bangkok, as soon as the wife retires.

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 1

If you are the type who prefers big city life, and can afford what it has on offer, then Bangkok has its good points. At least it did during the 30 years I lived there before moving to Chiang Rai.smile.png

So what made you move to Chiang Rai?

CM is fine, health care first class, if chosen carefuly. City is small, you can walk about, but has most things needed ( except for the all embracing 'Bangkok centric' attitude of this country, everything has to be decided in BKK).)

And there are rice fields, mountains and villages within 20 Km

Edited by msg362

If you are the type who prefers big city life, and can afford what it has on offer, then Bangkok has its good points. At least it did during the 30 years I lived there before moving to Chiang Rai.smile.png

So what made you move to Chiang Rai?

Nothing made me move, it just felt like it was time for a change from condo living in Bangkok. I wanted this lifestyle I have now. That is the short version. The blog might tell you more if you are really interested.wink.png

Incorrect. I get tired of Bangkok after after a few days, but it is fun while I am there.

Make that 'hours' and I agree with you. ;) I don't normally stay even an hour longer than I have to.

The one good thing about Bangkok though is that it's really, REALLY centrally located within Thailand. Gives you a lot of options for short 2-3 day getaways. (Although I mostly just do Pattaya, but ok)

But anyway.. is nobody going to tell him that he won't actually be breathing very well every March? Or is this up to me?

He'll flood in September, Freeze in January and choke to death in March.. and anyone who survives all that will be finished off during Songkran!

I think we've humored him long enough.. time to tell him nobody survives past April, and that there's a fresh contingent of Farangs lured into Death Valley every May/June?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

If you enjoy peace and quite, isolation, social scene and nightlife virtually zilch, other farangs that wouldn’t give you the time of day if passing, nice smiling polite Thai people, heavy pollution, low crime rates, crap Internet and low cost of living, than you’re love it here in Chiang Mai.

Medical facilities are reasonable, but obviously there are a lot less options here than in Bangkok.

This about sums it all up and I’ll leave it up to you to sift through the good, the bad and the ugly from my list.

Edited by Beetlejuice

If you enjoy peace and quite, isolation, social scene and nightlife virtually zilch, other farangs that wouldn’t give you the time of day if passing, nice smiling polite Thai people, heavy pollution, low crime rates, crap Internet and low cost of living, than you’re love it here in Chiang Mai.

I thought I'm the only one who's high in alcohol content...apparently not!

For me, Chiangmai offers the modernity just as much as Bangkok does. In Chiangmai, people are generally nicer than the Bangkokians, at least for now. It's close to nature should you decide to vist the mountains and streams. In modernized big cities, people are detaching themselves from others for various reasons which you can name. if you are from a big city in a developed country, why would you be seeking one similar except if you think you can improve such a place to become one like the one that you are living in.

Hopefully, soon, I'll establish Chiangmai as my principal residence in Thailand rather than Bangkok which I have been living for the past over 20 years this time around! My wife and I were first in Bangkok in 1969 as teenagers attending one of the few international schools which, then, did not allow enrolment of Thai citizens.The old days have values, unlike what people think in the present days about what value is.

Positives:

CM doesnt have a Nana place (off to a contraversial start)

CM doesnt have the disgusting Morchit bus station

CM is infinately easier on the budget

CM has great access to equally as many interesting places as Bkk

beer is dangerously cheap

always someone on the forums able to help with anything problem you have from food to ear wax removal

its green, water around,mountain ranges, waterfalls, gardens

negatives;

CM doesnt have a skytrain

CM has an unnecessarily long songran

CM has severe air pollutants in the new year

CM has farang conflicts between expats and backpackers

not as easy to run away or hide from a clingy girl

a pain to have to fly to bkk to get home

its black, urban, high rise, polluted, hi so and expensive.

my bote CM

Wow. Thanks again. Lots of good info. A few more questions just out of curiosity at this time. Is there a bowling alley in Chiang Mai? How about a place nearby to go fishing? What's the trip to Bangkok by train like?

Thanks Again.

Mike and Somsri.

Tricare is not a problem. The hospitals know to give you the doctor's report and all reciepts in English. Upon request they will also give you a reciept with the USD and Baht amount on it. You can file all claims for Tricare online without any problem and it is not a hassle recieving your checks in Baht. Checks are issued on Citi Bank in Bangkok. FMP is also accepted at Chiang Mai Ram and Sriphat (sp) . There is also a VFW Post in Chiang Mai that will assist you with any questions you may have about VA or other retiree benefits. Membership not required, just being a Veteran is it. The link to the VFW Post is www.vfw-chiangmai.com. PM me if you have any more questions about Tricare and the VA.

• Like 1

But anyway.. is nobody going to tell him that he won't actually be breathing very well every March? Or is this up to me?

He'll flood in September, Freeze in January and choke to death in March.. and anyone who survives all that will be finished off during Songkran!

I think we've humored him long enough.. time to tell him nobody survives past April, and that there's a fresh contingent of Farangs lured into Death Valley every May/June?

Did anyone mention a rather large group of whinging and moaning expats?

• Like 1

Did anyone mention a rather large group of whinging and moaning expats?

Fortunately they don't get out much. :) This forum is a Godsend, as a central repository of whining and loonyism. ;)

• Like 1

Lived in both citiea and i personally chose CM for the reasons below on a retirement -

- Great supermarket options ; ease to find comfort food export items Rimping supermarket has a website and is popular for food items among expats great meats / service and experience

- sports golf bowling are all cheap compared to Bangkok and other place in ASEAN

- traffic is way kinder ; sky trains are a nightmare on BBK and unless you don't have a choice and you are on retirement I don't see why you cannot walk or drive slowly

- restaurants options international and Thai are endless !

- People are way more friendly relaxed and helpful and that's what people look for in a retirement location

- Bangkok / Phuket for beach / Samui for Beach are within reach within an hour flight plus away and many flights through the day ...I do the same when I need some big city noise for one weekend per month or two ...pop a ticket go to Bangkok meet friends and glad to be back in CM

Pick Bangkok of you need everything glitzy big city charms etc if not CM is easily the best balance between pace of life local / western and the people are the best quality