Getting A Letter Of Reference From A Thai Bank

In order to open a bank account at HSBC in HK, I have been requested to obtain a letter of reference from my current bank. The sample they gave me includes a simple clause that notes the type of account maintained, and the date it was opened.

It then includes the final statement (from the perspective of the bank officer drafting the letter)

My authorization code number is ________________.

What the heck is an authorization code number, why would a bank official have one, and how to I describe exactly what this is to a Thai bank clerk? Has anyone ever obtained a letter of reference in order to open an HSBC account, and what exactly was in it?

Thank you for any assistance with this, as I am completely lost as to how to proceed. Apparently, HSBC requires this clause.

A bit more information.

I am told that this authorization code number is required due to an HSBC policy to verify the signature of the bank official who signs the letter of reference. But that still doesn't tell me what it is or how to explain to a Thai bank clerk exactly what this means.

Can anyone shed any more light on this for me?

The bank clerk will know what their code number is. They are not stupid you know. Stop worrying so much and just give them the form to fill out, pay them and walk out. Very simple.

90% of Thai's can read English you know.

The bank clerk will know what their code number is. They are not stupid you know. Stop worrying so much and just give them the form to fill out, pay them and walk out. Very simple.

Sure they can't!

I reckon most bank employees can read English, but no way is it true that 90% of Thais can read English.

Just go to your bank with whatever you have from HSBC and ask to speak to somebody who speaks English.

I have found that if you stay in there talking long enough, you will eventually get what you want.

In this case though, you may find a protocol issue. Some banks only provide references bank to bank rather than just giving it to the customer so arm yourself with a contact name or reference from HSBC Hong Kong first.

A bit more information.

I am told that this authorization code number is required due to an HSBC policy to verify the signature of the bank official who signs the letter of reference. But that still doesn't tell me what it is or how to explain to a Thai bank clerk exactly what this means.

Can anyone shed any more light on this for me?

authorisation codes are normally only used by multinational big banks. i have strong doubts that any Thai bank uses them.

the code is used to verify the level of power of attorney of the signatory.

I reckon most bank employees can read English, but no way is it true that 90% of Thais can read English.

That is only because you just didn't actually know that. I spent years here as an English teacher even in deepest darkest Essarn. Most Thais "English Grammar" is un-believable to be honest. Probably better then most of us. That is what os wrong with their education system. They have English Grammar shoved down their throats instead of simple "Conversational English." Of course many places don't have the farang population for conversation or the school cannot afford English Teachers however trust me, the can read and write it quite well.

Try it; if you cannot speak Thai and lets say you go into a place where the staff for sure cannot speak English, write something down that you want and see if they can read it. 7-11 would be a good place to try.

I have spend 12 steady years here all over Thailand and before I could speak Thai, I wrote a lot of things down that I wanted and can't remember 1 time it was not understood except for a few times where the person who was reading it had never been to school but they just showed it to another Thai and it was understood.

If you don't believe me ask your wife.

That is only because you just didn't actually know that. I spent years here as an English teacher even in deepest darkest Essarn. Most Thais "English Grammar" is un-believable to be honest. Probably better then most of us. That is what os wrong with their education system. They have English Grammar shoved down their throats instead of simple "Conversational English." Of course many places don't have the farang population for conversation or the school cannot afford English Teachers however trust me, the can read and write it quite well.

Try it; if you cannot speak Thai and lets say you go into a place where the staff for sure cannot speak English, write something down that you want and see if they can read it. 7-11 would be a good place to try.

I have spend 12 steady years here all over Thailand and before I could speak Thai, I wrote a lot of things down that I wanted and can't remember 1 time it was not understood except for a few times where the person who was reading it had never been to school but they just showed it to another Thai and it was understood.

If you don't believe me ask your wife.

By looking at your spelling and grammar, possibly you should seek out one of these 90% and get some lessons.

To the OP, bring a prepaid EMS envelope addressed to your contact at HSBC. This will help you facilitate the service, as pointed out earlier often the banks do not want to release these type of documents back to you.