Big Fire Breaks Out At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

Fire breaks out at a building at Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK: -- A big fire broke out Wednesday at a four-story building inside the Suvarnabhumi International Airport's compound, police said.

Police said the building was supposed to use for preparing in-flight foods.

The fire broke out at about 4:30 pm.

A man was severely injured after he jumped down from a floor.

At 5:10 pm, some ten fire engines were still fighting to control the blaze. Some people were evacuated from inside the building using a crane from a fire engine.

--The Nation 2006-01-18

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bloke who called the fire brigade couldn't pronounce the bleedin' name hense all the damage.

:o

Tell Thaksin to monitor it using Google Earth. That should keep him occupied for a while...

Edited by Insight

The bloke who called the fire brigade couldn't pronounce the bleedin' name hense all the damage.

You have a point, they could have named it something that foreigners can pronounce and remember, since it's mostly foreigners using the airport.

Update:

Four injured in big fire at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Published on Jan 18 , 2006

At least four people were injured after a big fire broke out Wednesday at the in-flight kitchen building inside the Suvarnabhumi International Airport's compound, police said.

Samit Phirunsarn, director of the catering department of airport, said he was informed that the fire broke out on the second and third floors.

At that time, some 500 workers were inside the building and now had been evacuated outside, but three workers were injured

He said the building had been completed by 90 per cent and workers were installing equipment.

The fire broke out at about 4:30 pm.

The three people were injured because they jumped down certain floors of the building, another was injured after being trapped inside an elevator.

Motorists called Jor Sor 100 Traffic Radio programme that they saw black smokes billowing from the building.

The blaze was put under control at 6 pm.

--The Nation 2005-01-18

Update:

Fire rages THAI restaurant at Suvarnabhumi Airport

SAMUT PRAKAN: -- A fire broke out at Thai Airways International (THAI) cafeteria services building inside Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport Wednesday evening, with four people reportedly injured initially.

The fire broke out on the first floor of the four-storey building, which is part of the national airline's operational center on an area of 54,400 square meters inside the airport.

The four injured people were reported to be workers who were repairing part of the cafeteria building and then jumped in panic from higher floors of the building when the fire broke out. They were rushed to nearby hospital.

An initial investigation found that the blaze was sparked by a metal welding inside the building.

Firefighters are putting out the fire, while rescue officials are seaching whether there is anyone stranded inside the building.

Reports on the latest development have not yet been available.

--TNA 2006-01-18

:o

Tell Thaksin to monitor it using Google Earth. That should keep him occupied for a while...

He might spot the crack thats not there though.....!

Maybe they should of shoved the fire down there then that wouldn't have been there either..... :D

redrus

Edited by redrus

:D

Maybe they should of shoved the fire down there then that wouldn't have been there either..... :D

redrus

Just waiting for Khun toxin to anounce that the media over reacted and some editors gets sacked....

would be funnier then :o

Update:

The four injured people were reported to be workers who were repairing part of the cafeteria building and then jumped in panic from higher floors of the building when the fire broke out. They were rushed to nearby hospital.

--TNA 2006-01-18

...and they told me it was a new airport :o

:D

Funny you should mention it -

I was just watching the Ch. 3 newscast and they followed the fire story with one of an inspection team which was checking out the runways, camera crew in tow, and you'll never guess what they found... :o

jb

They know what started it already before even putting it out. Hmmm

Insurance, kickbacks from or maybe some contractors were running out of work so now have a few more months in it.

WHo cares anyway. That new airport whatever its called is 40 km out of bangkok or is it 45km or more. too far away with that traffic.

You have a point, they could have named it something that foreigners can pronounce and remember, since it's mostly foreigners using the airport.

Careful guys

The new airport was named by HM The King

I come from NZ and we have many Maori place names which are difficult for foreigners to pronounce but they have not been changed

Sue

one

a

poom

Not that difficult really

Saw Khun Taxsin driving a scooter on the front page of the english newspaper today. "watch out for the drains or cracks or whatever" Was even wearing a helmet. A bit of a difference from his plane.

All the nice front cover stories about him the last few days. I've stopped buying the bkk post years ago and now the nation is falling because i know someone is getting paid, treatened or blackmailed to write fake sickening nice like that.

A new excuse to delay the opening of the airport :o

As an excuse this may count: imagine this a catering building.

International inspection will see there will be no particle of cancerigenic material in the entire building: this includes all drains, conducts, isolation.

The water brings these particles everywhere, once dried up they reappear....

You name it, the international inspectors will look for it.

Talking of a set back.

For the smell alone it will take weeks.

Remember the fire at Dusseldorf Airport. How long did that take? And that was not a catering building, where food is prepared and stored.

Decontaminating such a building, takes almost as long as rebuilding the same catering building.

Oh boy, am I curious to know what the guys who caused the fire will bring up as an excuse....

Read more about: fire dusseldorf airport here

http://www.iklimnet.com/hotelfires/dussairportfire.html

Flug Revue wrote a year later:

What the fire did not destroy, was made unusable for years by smoke, soot, and toxic fumes. Just one central building, which was protected by a fire-wall, was still functioning.

Ohlalala....

http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRheft/FRH9710/FR9710d.htm

Edited by KhunFon

Careful guys

The new airport was named by HM The King

I come from NZ and we have many Maori place names which are difficult for foreigners to pronounce but they have not been changed

Sue

one

a

poom

Not that difficult really

It's actually pronounced: Su - one - na - poom.

While part of the airport was on fire, here's what others found. Knowing that a section of the runway has began to deteriorate already is really comforting to know. Is this what being the airline hub of Asia is about? :o

Suvarnabhumi Airport's runway needs repairs

Published on Jan 18 , 2006

The main runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport needs repairs, and the bomb scanning system is not functioning properly, an official said Wednesday after inspectors visited the site.

Deputy Transport Minister Chainant Charoensiri said the software controlling the computerised bomb scanners in the baggage handling system

at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport needed to be re-examined after tests revealed operating problems.

Chainant said that repairs required on the main terminal's runway were expected to take at least three months.

"Inspectors found that about 800 meters along the edge of the runway needs to be fixed," said Chainant, noting that builders had neglected to apply the proper sealant.

"The surface is not strong enough. It has already started to deteriorate."

Chainant said that "95 per cent" of the airport had been completed and he was still optimistic it would open on time.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said he wants the airport fully operational by October.

Source: Breaking News

What caused the fire then?

Several factors were determined to have contributed significantly to the loss of life and property damage in the Airport Terminal Fire, Düsseldorf, Germany Thursday, April 11, 1996:

* Failure of workmen to take adequate precautions during welding operations

* The presence of combustible insulation in the ceiling void above the lower level of the terminal

* A lack of automatic suppression systems in the void and in the occupied area of the terminal

* Unprotected vertical openings that allowed the fire and smoke to spread to the upper levels

* The transmission of erroneous information over the voice annunciation system during the first 10 minutes of alarm activation.

* The ability to shut down the public address system in the lounges. (This system was also used to transmit the emergency voice announcements.)

* Inadequate means of egress capabilities from the VIP lounge on the mezzanine level

* Two occupied elevators that opened directly into the fire area

Other significant factors that arose during the fireground operations include the following:

* Lack of adequate communications capabilities between the command staff and the fire fighting units

* Insufficient radio frequencies available for fire ground operations

* Lack of awareness of the building layout

* No fire fighter accountability system

* Insufficient command staff to manage the incident

from: http://www.writer-tech.com/pages/summaries/summduss.htm

This might also be a checklist to see how it happened over there (What's the name again?)

VAS ist das?

Note: the voice annunciation system..

I know, we would say Public address system (PAS), wouldn't we. But the Germans call it VAS!!

Edited by KhunFon

Suvarnabhumi Airport's runway needs repairs

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said he wants the airport fully operational by October.

Source: Breaking News

I thought that July was still the official opening date? I never believed it but this is the first time I've seen DL mention October.

I agree that this is a convenient excuse for a delay :o

Very tasteless -

NOT funny at all,

take a stab at humour by saying something funny -

Oh wait I get it now, the joke is you are making fun of yourself cause you say stupid things like this in a forum,

very funny !

Say: Soo-varn-a-BHOOM- e

Say this out loud a few times and you'll get it

But the travel agents and travelers in the rest of the world will never be able to pronounce it.

==============================================================

I don't see why all of you people are so terribly confused by this new airport's name: has it not occured to y'all that, the moment it opens to the public (whenever the heck that might be . . .) it will simply be known as BANGKOK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, precisely the same as that abortion of a facility also know as "Don Muang" . . . . . . daahh :o

I don't see why all of you people are so terribly confused by this new airport's name: has it not occured to y'all that, the moment it opens to the public (whenever the heck that might be . . .) it will simply be known as BANGKOK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, precisely the same as that abortion of a facility also know as "Don Muang" . . . . . . daahh :o

True... but actually, and for a while, we are going to have 2 airports (Don Muang will remain open)

And i think that he could be difficult with some taxi drivers...

Update:

--TNA 2006-01-18

Talk about heartbun . Thats gotta kill !

Update:

--TNA 2006-01-18

Dammit - you beat me to it MaeJo