"Outlet" Stores In Pattaya - New Lingo?

toenail

It seems that more stores in Pattaya are adding the word "outlet" to their names. I noticed an optical shop at the Avenue Complex adding the word "OUTLET" to their name, then there are a couple sport shops that have added the word "outlet" to their name. We are aware of the outlet mall south of Pattaya which I personally question if these stores are really "outlet" stores.The ones I have see there, match the stores that you see at Central shopping center which are NOT outlet stores.

According to various definitions, the word "outlet" refers to a retail store that is operated by a manufacturer which provides an outlet to sell its over stocked, irregular items, or end-of-season merchandise. In most cases I do not see this, I guess the tourist may not know the real price of an item. For example, one can walk into a "outlet" sports section of the store and see the sign " 20 % off"; meanwhile the price of the jogging shoe has been retailed at a premium price, so the 20% off is nothing. For example, I looked at one brand name sport show marked down 20% from 4100 baht to 3,280 baht. This was not a special "outlet" price. In my country, the shoe sellilng for 3,280 baht would most likely be half the price at a real outlet store. So, if you want to attract tourist to your shop, just call it an "outlet". (Maybe a new name for a soi bar could be: "Beer outlet bar".

Stores in Thailand hardly ever have the kind of good deals that are common in the West.

Nonsense !

I agree with UG. The USA is much better for discount shopping for decent goods. Sure you can get garbage products in Thailand for cheap. That doesn't count.