Motorcycles

Bung

OK, we've expained to the non beleivers why we ride now tell us your best experience on 2 wheels here in the LOS.

Roads, scenery, pillions, food, beer and mates, give us your best yarn on where and why we like to ride here in the heat.

Back it up with pictures! There must be some good ones out there.

OK, we've expained to the non beleivers why we ride now tell us your best experience on 2 wheels here in the LOS.

Roads, scenery, pillions, food, beer and mates, give us your best yarn on where and why we like to ride here in the heat.

Bung I think I have some pics on my LT in camp (at work) I will post later

But there is 3 or more of us riding from Udon Thani to Chang mai on the 18th of feb if anyone is interested

Rigger

I've had the good fortune of traveling a lot around the North of Thailand. Once with A.M.A. on a ten day trip that went from Chiang Mai over to the Burmese border, up to the Golden Triangle and then along the Laotian border down to Nan and Pua. A great trip with many memorable experiences. However, for a weekend run I would suggest going to Umphang. Starting in Tak I rode through the mountains to Mae Sot. The road is good, but heavily traveled. There's two Umong hill tribe vegtable markets at the summit where I took a break, had a coffee, and wandered through all the produce stalls. Just before you enter the city of Mae Sot is the intersection that takes you either North or South. Tank up before going any further. Head South on highway #1090 and enjoy a ride through a valley lined with small villages. There's a private gibbon refuge about 20 minutes south of Mae Sot owned by a very special Thai lady. These creatures were donated to her by people who couldn't handle the apes after they got bigger. Other's were found injured in the jungle and she brought them back to good health. After the gibbon refuge the road goes into the mountains and there's where the fun begins. The road was in excellent condition a year ago but I'm not sure if the monsoons we had a few months ago took their toll or not. The turns just never seem to stop and the elevation changes are breathtaking. Use your horn a lot going around the tight corners. There are a couple of Burmese refugee camps along the way. These settlements are built along a hillside and it's worth stopping for a few minutes to get the flavor of just how these people have to live. From there, more mountain twisties but this time through some virgin forest. The trees are tall and the forest canopy can still be seen the way it was thousands of years ago. The ride took me down into another valley and into the town of Umphang. The town of Umphang is next to a national park that is under the control of UNICEF. The park is closed during the rainy season every year to minimize damage from too many visitors. The waterfalls are a sight to behold. In Umphang town there are numerous inexpensive bungalow resorts to spend the night. As you might have guessed, this was probably my favorite trip. Happy to share.

Edited by Sojourner

Meeting the group that I ride with in town increased my general outlook on life no ends.

It is a 99.95% Thai group with me being the founding foreign member followed by my mates now.

The group have become like an extended family

The big group shot is a mix of a team from Kabin Buri, Rangsit and my local team.

In total that weekend we had about 40 bikes riding around Kao Yai national park and one accident where a silly farang slid his Varadero down the hill :D I wonder who that was. :o

We rode to a new temple on the number 2 highway on the way to Khorat where we become the focal point of the tourists with people coming and taking photos with the bikes and us.

So to the Soul Riders - 8liew

I salute you.

post-7021-1137631484_thumb.jpg

post-7021-1137631683_thumb.jpg

post-7021-1137631745_thumb.jpg

post-7021-1137631833_thumb.jpg

Rigger,

Sounds like a good ride...Back roads or highway, CR or cruiser? (no brainer, I know)

Sogourner,

See where the name comes from...I am planning on going up that way but will be taking the family so it will be in the car :D Maybe have to put a sidecar on the bike.

mraitchison,

The guy I bought my bike from rides with a bunch of his mates on the weekend, similar thing and I will hook up with them when I get back, can't wait!

Photo of me practising my grimace asap! :o

Rigger,

Sounds like a good ride...Back roads or highway, CR or cruiser? (no brainer, I know)

Sogourner,

See where the name comes from...I am planning on going up that way but will be taking the family so it will be in the car :D Maybe have to put a sidecar on the bike.

mraitchison,

The guy I bought my bike from rides with a bunch of his mates on the weekend, similar thing and I will hook up with them when I get back, can't wait!

Photo of me practising my grimace asap! :o

I am goig to sell the CR to buy a big 4 stroke to do some back road touring as the missus will not get on the back of the CR dont know why :D

Heres some pics of a ride we did up to Phurua national park thats all the pics I have got here. We have only been doing day rides as the missus just had another rug rat but we are all geared up to get into some touring this year

post-6264-1137638880_thumb.jpg

post-6264-1137638922_thumb.jpg

post-6264-1137638975_thumb.jpg

In Thailand ...

3 Nations Charity Event in Krabi Sept 2004. Picture over 1,000 big bikes from all over the region traveling in a winding convoy through the limestone karsts of Krabi Province. Not really eventful, but a true sight to behold.

(sry, was riding so no pics :o )

• 2 weeks later...
Doing 2500km around South Thailand in three weeks. Luvverly. First time down south, all those places to explore, and nowt but me and the Phantom. Adventure...

I did a 6 day tour around 'The Deep South' a few years back. The 3 most troubled provinces at the moment were the nicest in my opinion. Lovely roads, no dogs, empty beaches, nice people etc. Bit of a shame alot of riders overlook this part of Thailand.

3-4 years ago I attended the Sturgis Thailand event in Nakhon Si Thammarat. A bike trip to a school to give a donation entailed riding through the town of Pak Phanang where the police had blocked off side roads to allow us to ride through. People lined the main road and cheered us as we rode past and for one brief moment, I knew what it felt like to be famous. :D That scored a big ten on the Grin-o-meter. :D

I've been on trips that have taken me along the Isaan border starting at Aranyaprathet and finishing at Chang Khan in Loie. A similar thing too with the north with a trip to Umphang and then hugging the northern outskirts all the way to Chiang Khong. Both trips involved stopping here and there ocassionally on side-trips but mostly just riding for the heck of it. :D

One of my favorite destinations has to be Pilok in Thong Pha Phum in Kanchanaburi. It can be done as a day ride from Bangkok or as a side trip from Sangkhlaburi/3 Pagodas Pass on a 2-3 day ride.

Pilok, like Umphang, is a one way there and the same way back destination. Situated on the Burmese border you have to hand over your licence at a check point and are then allowed into kind of a no-mans land. You can then walk up a short hill and look over the Burmese forests, and from which supposedly you can see as far as the Andaman Sea on a clear day. Or you can walk to other adjacents hills with military bunkers ontop. But the joy is getting there and back using a narrow and twisty paved mountainous road cutting through dense jungle.

I've done many more trips and it's difficult to say which trip is the best overall as they all hold something special to them. They're all good in one way or another.

As is often said on bike forums..."It's not the destination, it's the journey." :o

Maybe just the Chiang Mai-Samong loop, passing Mae Sa elephant camp and Queen Sirikit gardens. Maybe riding back alone from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai in one day. Need to take more long trips.

But just riding, riding, riding. I piloted 32K of the 34K that's on the odometer now (I was pillion for the other 2K), and it's been a blast, even riding through traffic on the CBR150. Even though it's my first Honda and my first frame-faired bike, and it's the smallest of the 11 two-wheelers I've owned, the CBR has been the mostest funnest. :o

And when you're on the high-placed pillion, you get to see the scenery. :D

Yep there sure are some good ones out there. North Thai & North Laos really are both motorcycle paradise if you can get out & ride 'em.

I've got hundreds of pix or roads & places in both North Thai & Laos, but cant stick too many up on here.

The Mae Hong Son loop is a bit alright for a 600 kms day ride.

30286534-L.jpg

19400339-M.jpg

55193626-M.jpg

Then Doi Ang Khang roads R1340 & R1249 are “rippers.”

19855980-M.jpg

19855972-L.jpg

19855994-M.jpg

19859020-M.jpg

19766025-M.jpg

Check out the baby above. The back way around Doi Phahompok on the border. Some guys take their chances & ride across this on smaller bikes.

55193625-M.jpg

Also the Doi Mae Salong roads R1234 & R1089

55191663-M.jpg

Got more if you want & dont think it will bore you. But need to make a 2nd post. (I had 33 pix of "the best roads" in N Thai & Laos, but reached the limit for a single post. Just ask if you want more. Or go to the G T Rider board for hundreds of photos plus scores of road & trip reports for Thailand / Laos / Cambodia.

Apologies if some of you think this is a bit much. Enjoy the ride.

How did you manage to get all those hilltribe people into your paniers? That is one of the best ideas I have ever thought of take your own ethnic hill tribes type people with you to give your photos that little extra.

Really nice photos.

Don't think my blackbird would be too happy up there though.

I'd also like to thank you for the link to the great gt riders site, great stuff and just what I need and a great source of info.

I just wish I had found it sooner though!

I'm still a month away from saddling up on my f650 i just bought but she's sitting in the shed waiting for daddy to return and hope to be able to post some picks of my local trails soon.

Nice bikes and pics btw.

Thanks for the photo compliments

Hill tribe photos are not that difficult when you've got a nice big bike - the locals always want to come & take a look. I'm lucky as I get to ride around a lot & often go back to the same villages & give photos out.

19828826-M.jpg

The locals really appreciate that, as more often than not most people just breeze though, snap away to get what they want & leave. The hill tribes never get anything back. I like to put something back if I can.

23191783-M.jpg

Re your blackbird. I’m sure it would be happy on a lot of roads in North Thailand. Lots of roads are perfect for 3rd & 4th gear throttle roll-on & offs.

To enjoy riding, you don’t always have to travel at high speed, & simply keep a steady throttle in 4th or 5th gear.

If you’re a sport bike rider & have not been to Nan then check out R1148 Tha Wang Pha - Chiang Kham

19855984-M.jpg

19938046-M.jpg

19855985-M.jpg

Above: The natives in Nan are friendly & attractive.

Also check out R101 Phrae - Nan, or any of the undulating twisting hilly asphalt roads east of Nan. In the North Nan is top dog for sport riding. Elsewhere Loei province is # 1 nationwide I’d say.

Then once you’ve done these R13 in N Laos is amazing & will both exhilarate & tire you – endless (hours of!) steep & winding twisties!!

Crossing the Mekong with your bike can also be interesting at times.

19238835-M.jpg

I'd also like to thank you for the link to the great gt riders site, great stuff and just what I need and a great source of info.

I just wish I had found it sooner though!

I'm still a month away from saddling up on my f650 i just bought but she's sitting in the shed waiting for daddy to return and hope to be able to post some picks of my local trails soon.

Nice bikes and pics btw.

An F650 eh. Nice bike but a bit small for me & touring.

Take a look at the pic below of an F650 loaded up with Beer Lao on the way home from a night in Houei Xai.

55353575-M.jpg

Cheers

The last time I carried any beer on a bike (not including in the Waves basket-thats nearly everyday) I managed to get a whole carton into the top box of my GS 1000 minus 2 which I promptly drank.

You still have tons of room there, how big are your jacket pockets??