Asanha Bucha Day - Do You Know What Is It?

Johnniey

Even more amazing a virgin birth...............some would say ridiculous???

The only thing more ridiculous was Yingluck becoming PM

Id say that was pretty predictable, I didnt say it was good for Thailand though

I was going to report this to the moderator for removal or closure, but then I worried about the possibility that the mod might not have a sense of humour...

So I reproduce the complaint below in preference

(These posts are) An attempt to derail the topic

Can I suggest either to close the thread, or move it to the news and futile bickering politics forum

- its not futile

- yes it is

- no it isn't

- is

- isn't

SC

If we stuck to the topic all answers would only say YES, NO, DONT KNOW and what a dull world it would be

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I have lived in Thailand for more than 35 years. Yes, I know what yesterday was and what today is. The wife knows too. No kids and no interest in the little creatures.

I think you'll find that the purpose of life is to have "little creatures".

Your purpose perhaps, but not mine.coffee1.gif

Please..........stop your preaching!

For the animal kingdom it is their instinct to reproduce......although we as homo sapiens are part of the animal kingdom, we have a higher intellect that allows us to make choices as opposed........driven by animal instinct.

Open your mind......it might do you some good.

Why are you here on Earth?

Do you thank your father for being driven by his animal instinct?

Or do you thank him for his "higher intellect" that allowed him to "make choices"?

Two guys from different countries with the same religion and the same God end up at war. Who's side is God on ?

I'm not sure God takes sides. When my children are fighting, I generally try to avoid taking sides. I suppose it depends on your own understanding of God.

SC

"I suppose it depends on your own understanding of God" this says everything wrong with religion. So many different interpretations of every religion causing fighting amongst the religion and breeding fanatics.

There are as many gods as there are people who believe in one. That alone should make people question the veracity of their belief but it is sidestepped by being believed on faith and faith is nothing more than a title for a level of gullibility

• Like 2

For the animal kingdom it is their instinct to reproduce......although we as homo sapiens are part of the animal kingdom, we have a higher intellect that allows us to make choices as opposed........driven by animal instinct.

Or do you thank him for his "higher intellect" that allowed him to "make choices"?

I thank my mother for carrying me in her womb for 9 months and giving me life.

What a wonderful woman your mother is/was. She did not refer to you as a "little creature". See post 52.

Some very sick people here in Thailand.

• Like 1

Do you thank your father for being driven by his animal iinstinct?

What a wonderful woman your mother is/was. She did not refer to you as a "little creature". See post 52.

Some very sick people here in Thailand.

My mother called me a cheeky little monkey, was she sick or just using a quirky name like villagefarang ?
  • Like 2

Had my nuts cut when I was 30. ( along time ago ) Happy as a pig in sh-t coz aint got no-one to bother about except me and her.

She is happy about it coz she can concentrate on her work and make money so WE can enjoy ourselves.

Is that wrong in anyones eyes ? coz it aint in mine.

• Like 2

It was the buddha 1st sermon to his disciples and marks the begining of the buddhist lent. Monks reside in the monastery for the 3 month buddhist retreat to study and meditate and young men temporarily become monks. As for the Western world religion is all about getting gifts in todays society Easter Bunnie bring s the Chocolate and the Cristmas Santa Clause brings the i pod, x box and any other expensive brand name that is the world we live in and here on Samui I note that each Christmas even the Thai children now expect pressies !!!!!!!! I celebrate none because the true meaning is long gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you being a kopite propaly rever the dalgliesh prophecy,but that only gets you the sack.

Can you repeat that in Queens English or is it just bad spelling !!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry should have been dogleash,does that sound better,its a well known scouse saying,lol.

Had my nuts cut when I was 30. ( along time ago ) Happy as a pig in sh-t coz aint got no-one to bother about except me and her.

She is happy about it coz she can concentrate on her work and make money so WE can enjoy ourselves.

Not wrong but rather sad to think money can bring happiness.

I know a few couples who would give a fortune to be able to have kids.

And did you know what yesterday was celebrating ?

Village farang was the Only one ??

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by Johnniey

@ Scully..........I'd say your mum had a great sense of humour and adored her little bundle of joy.

Unlike some others here. thumbsup.gif

I thought that too until she ran off with the vicar after he judged the village cake baking competition :(

god help me.....i remember when i first decided to move to thailand i spruicked to all my friends how i was going to envelop myself in thai traditions and culture,learn all about bhudda ways.....now i realize i am here for the budget lifestyle and discounted western indulgences,plus feeling like a greek adonis everytime i leave my house....god/bhudda whoever have mercy on my soul i am not a bad person just easily led astray........

• Like 1

Does anyone know why it's spelled Asanha or Asalha Bucha? In Thai it's อาสาพหบูชา which would be pronounced (approximately, of course) asapha bucha. See http://thai-language.com/id/132012

That is wrong - It's spelled

วันอาสาหบูชา

In English it's Asalha Puja, transliterated from the Pali.

When Thai language has an 'l' as a final consonant it is pronounced 'n'. Hence Centran instead of Central etc.

Edited by Johnniey
  • Like 1

Johnnly, I didn't go through the whole 3 pages of posting here, but pretty much seen what I had already guessed at. Nobody seems to give a shit about anything but their own comforts and beliefs. Kind of shows you the apathy of the world doesn't it?

The Buddha and Jesus don't mean anything to these people, it's either ancient history or myth to them. God help us.

Johnnly, I didn't go through the whole 3 pages of posting here, but pretty much seen what I had already guessed at. Nobody seems to give a shit about anything but their own comforts and beliefs. Kind of shows you the apathy of the world doesn't it?

The Buddha and Jesus don't mean anything to these people, it's either ancient history or myth to them. God help us.

Yeah, rather sad.

I think one person said they knew what it was so I take it the rest didn't. More interested if they can buy beer, it seems.

I think even a 'normal' tourist would ask what the 'holiday' was. It seems that many who live here don't.

Yeah, rather sad.

I think one person said they knew what it was so I take it the rest didn't. More interested if they can buy beer, it seems.

I think even a 'normal' tourist would ask what the 'holiday' was. It seems that many who live here don't.

Do you think its coincidence that the celebration of Buddha's first sermon comes on the same weekend as the celebration of the passing-down of the Koran? I expect so, since I would imagine that the passing-down ceremony presumably precesses with the lunar calendar, the muslim calendar having no 13th months. Luckily, in Malaysia, the pubs don't close for religious holidays. The benefits of living in a tolerant country, eh?

SC

Yeah, rather sad.

Do you think its coincidence that the celebration of Buddha's first sermon comes on the same weekend as the celebration of the passing-down of the Koran? I expect so, since I would imagine that the passing-down ceremony presumably precesses with the lunar calendar, the muslim calendar having no 13th months. Luckily, in Malaysia, the pubs don't close for religious holidays. The benefits of living in a tolerant country, eh?

SC

I know nothing of Muslim holidays

Probably, you are wrong - it is a coincedence.

Rather sanctimonious post SC, very unlike you.wink.png However, you could enlighten me by telling me what you mean about 13 months.

Do you think really think Malaysia is more tolerant than Thailand?

Thailand is the most tolerant country I know.

Can't you just answer the original question - did you know(before reading this thread) that Asanha Bucha day celebrated the Buddha's first sermon?

No my belief is not to believe in any deities, although buddha and jesus existed what jesus proclaimed for me is pure fantasy. Now if anyone wants to believe this thats up to them but saldy for the world these " beliefs" (and thats all they are) are then inflicted on to us non believers dictating laws and what we can and cant do.

Yeah, rather sad.

SC

I know nothing of Muslim holidays

Probably, you are wrong - it is a coincedence.

Rather sanctimonious post SC, very unlike you.wink.png However, you could enlighten me by telling me what you mean about 13 months.

Do you think really think Malaysia is more tolerant than Thailand?

Thailand is the most tolerant country I know.

Can't you just answer the original question - did you know(before reading this thread) that Asanha Bucha day celebrated the Buddha's first sermon?

In reverse order:

No I did not know that. I do now.

From the way in which other people's activities are restricted during religious holidays, I have to accept that Malaysia is more tolerant. Thailand is not tolerant, it is lax in its enforcement of its restrictions. That is not the same as tolerance.

The Chinese calendar, which is also lunar, occasionally includes a 13th month, so that events fall at roughly the same time of year. The muslim calendar has 12 lunar months, so festivals such as Ramadan precess through the year by approximately 11 days each year. I have assumed (though not checked) that Nur Al Quran also precesses.

(Thai) Buddhist holidays do not, and therefore while this year the two holidays fall at about the same time, next year they will not (if Thai buddhist holidays follow a lunar calendar, then presumably they will track for two or three years, and then, just as with the Chinese, the Thais will introduce a thirteenth month and they will no longer be in proximity... I'm speculating here (I know, there's a thread for that...) but I hope someone who knows about these things may enjoy ridiculing me and educating us all.

It was not intended to be sanctimonious, it was merely intended as a comment on the proximity of the two holidays, and noting the coincidence, querying whether it was more than just chance. In about twenty years, Christmas will fall around the same time as Nur Al Quran, and that too will be mere coincidence... and thus also for any other festival that is fixed in the calendar

SC

• Like 1

In reverse order:

No I did not know that. I do now.

From the way in which other people's activities are restricted during religious holidays, I have to accept that Malaysia is more tolerant. Thailand is not tolerant, it is lax in its enforcement of its restrictions. That is not the same as tolerance.

The Chinese calendar, which is also lunar, occasionally includes a 13th month, so that events fall at roughly the same time of year. The muslim calendar has 12 lunar months, so festivals such as Ramadan precess through the year by approximately 11 days each year. I have assumed (though not checked) that Nur Al Quran also precesses.

(Thai) Buddhist holidays do not, and therefore while this year the two holidays fall at about the same time, next year they will not (if Thai buddhist holidays follow a lunar calendar, then presumably they will track for two or three years, and then, just as with the Chinese, the Thais will introduce a thirteenth month and they will no longer be in proximity... I'm speculating here (I know, there's a thread for that...) but I hope someone who knows about these things may enjoy ridiculing me and educating us all.

It was not intended to be sanctimonious, it was merely intended as a comment on the proximity of the two holidays, and noting the coincidence, querying whether it was more than just chance. In about twenty years, Christmas will fall around the same time as Nur Al Quran, and that too will be mere coincidence... and thus also for any other festival that is fixed in the calendar

SC

Thank you SC. I apologise for thinking you were sanctimonious. Funny how we think others are sometimes when they are talking about something we have no knowledge of, which in this case is lunisolar intercalation - nteresting stuff. Seems that they add 7 months every 19 years and also 11 days every 57 years. How they do this I don't know.

Not wrong but rather sad to think money can bring happiness.

I know a few couples who would give a fortune to be able to have kids.

And did you know what yesterday was celebrating ?

Village farang was the Only one ??

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Money may not bring happiness but it can make poverty more comfortable.

I dont see why its important at all to know. I dont know what Easter means because for me its all claptrap and therefore irrelevant.

Easter means chocolate eggs and a long weekend off work. As for Asanha Bucha Day, I guess its the same thing just without the eggs!

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

I find it incredible how many Westerns dont know the real significance of the 25th of December

-----------------

whistling.gif

Do you?

The then new Roman Christian church was appalled at the old Roman festival that was known as Saturnalia.

This was basically a 3 day booze-up and free-for-all sex orgy dedicated to the Roman god Saturn...who the earlier Greeks called Jupiter...king of the Gods.

Saturnalia was typically clebrated in the last week of December.

When the new Roman Christian church needed a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus...frankly no one then or now really knows the exact birth date of Jesus...the Christians decided to pick that last week of December as Jesus's "birthday"...mainly to replace the (in their minds) sinful drunken orgy of Saturnalia with a true Christian holiday.

And that, dear friends, is why Jesus's "birthday" has come to be established as 25 December....to replace Saturnalia.

The real clue as to when Jesus was probably born is in the bible...where it says, "and Shepards were watching their flocks by night".

Why do shepards watch there flocks by night? Because lambs are born wet...from the water in the mother's womb...and they will die quickly if their fur is not dried off soon after birth.

in the wild ewe's naturally lick their newborn lambs dry...so they servive.

But after many years of domestication sheep have often lost that instinct to dry the young lambs.

So "shepards watch there flocks by night" during the spring lambing time...and if a ewe does not start to lick it's newborn lamb dry....the shepards intervene and wipe the new born lambs coat dry...to keep them from dieing from the cold.

In the Holy Land....that lambing time is usually early spring...March.

Therefore, some biblical scholars claim the true birth date of Jesus should be in March...not December.

But personally...I think that's all a myth anyhow.

No one actually knows when Jesus was born anyhow.

wink.png