Security Officials Far Too Laid Back: Experts

webfact

Security officials far too laid back: experts

The Nation

30187537-03_big.jpg

Govt's approach lacks courage, senior Democrat says

BANGKOK: -- There have been no intelligence breakthroughs for officials trying to identify those responsible for a recent spate of carbombings, as the perpetrators are believed to be new recruits from several insurgent strongholds in the deep South, intelligence sources said yesterday.

The sources attributed the ease with which insurgents have been able to move explosives between locations to the "passive" approach taken by security officials, who continue to rely on checkpoints at the same old sites.

A more proactive approach is needed, through preemptive operations and raids in areas where insurgents are active, the source said, adding that the intelligence services need to improve their performance.

The Royal Thai Air Force yesterday provided details of air support to be given to ground troops operating in the deep South, saying initial operations would include aerial photography and patrols by USmade AU23 aircraft, spokesman Air Vice Marshall Monthol Satchukorn said.

Aerial reconnaissance sorties would be stepped up in the meantime, while operational plans to determine which areas would be covered would be worked out by next week and submitted directly to the Defence Ministry, Monthol said. Air Force troops are operating in the deep South in several capacities, including maintaining security at an airbase in Pattani's Nong Chik district, he said.

Meanwhile, the government's handling of the violence in the South is in disarray, lacking integration and courage, Democrat Party executive and former deputy interior minister Thavorn Senniam said yesterday.

Thavorn said the Yingluck Shinawatra government had failed in its management of insurgencycontainment activities and development projects in the region in its first year in power, through inconsistent policies and a lack of courage among Cabinet members and senior officials in charge of internal security.

Thavorn said he had privately dubbed a newly established government committee tasked with bringing the surge in violence under control the "Centre of Cowards, Taking Advantage of Subordinates [operating in the deep South]", because it was run by people "who are only good at talking, like [Deputy Prime Minister] Chalerm [Yoobamrung]."

He accused Chalerm of instructing security officials to spread rumours that insurgents planned to kill VIP visitors to the South, so that he could use it as an excuse not to visit the area. Thavorn rejected Chalerm's proposal that Democrat MPs discuss the issue with him, suggesting that the minister instead implement his eight proposals for curbing the violence and sustaining longterm peace in the region.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva earlier called on the government to immediately consider the following three points: The practice of setting up centres with redundant responsibilities and assigning many people to the same or similar jobs must be stopped, as it interferes with the work of the Southern Provinces Border Administrative Centre (SBPAC); assigning Thawee Sodsong as SPBAC director would not be beneficial to its operations, given his record of opposition to state policies in the South; and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra should stop involving himself in antiinsurgent efforts through a neighbouring country, which complicates the issue. Abhisit did not elaborate on the latter two concerns.

Tuesday's carbomb attack on the CS Pattani Hotel in Pattani has resulted in security measures being heightened throughout the deep South, with parking of motorcycles being restricted by owners of shophouses in many urban areas. In Narathiwat, parking of motorcycles on major roads in Yi Ngor district has been banned.

Buddhists in many provinces conducted memorial circumambulations at temples during the day yesterday to minimise the chance of ambushes during travels to and from their homes. Tight security was put in place around temples with soldiers and marines in combat gear present.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-03

"The sources attributed the ease with which insurgents have been able to move explosives between locations to the "passive" approach taken by security officials, who continue to rely on checkpoints at the same old sites."

Knowing the way things work in LOS, those aren't checkpoints. They are more like toll booths. Put some money in the hand sticking out of the window, and be on your merry way.

"The sources attributed the ease with which insurgents have been able to move explosives between locations to the "passive" approach taken by security officials, who continue to rely on checkpoints at the same old sites."

Knowing the way things work in LOS, those aren't checkpoints. They are more like toll booths. Put some money in the hand sticking out of the window, and be on your merry way.

Anyone here ever been flagged down by a moving police vehicle for a traffic violation? Obviously the forces actually have get off their ass and patrol around....

But then that means actually moving.

• Like 1

I really feel sad for the police and military in the South who are just doing what

they're told to do and getting killed for it. Makes me dam_n angry too by the way.

However....Harry Truman once had a wooden plaque on his desk that said

"The Buck Stops Here"...that worked for him back then.

It could also work for the Thai politico's too but I have a feeling they just

like to also pass around the......

post-146250-0-00746600-1343970187_thumb.

While people are being killed and discuss wherelunch should be taken.

Sip satang from an old warhorse....

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 2

This is too serious a matter, especially in the South, to be treated lightly by farang guests in this country. To many innocent people, including women, children, and monks, are dieing. Show a little more respect for the situation.

Someone please tell me that the AU-23 P US-made aircraft, which the Air Vice Marshall in the OP refers to, isn't the 1970s-era Vietnam War plane of the same name, which Wikipedia describes ? cheesy.gif

Hasn't military-surveillance advanced since then ? Why doesn't the RTAF have any ? Given that they have an on-going hot-war in the South ? Or are US-military drones unable to operate in Thailand, due to not having night-lights, or whatever. blink.png

Amazing Thailand strikes once again !

Anyone here ever been flagged down by a moving police vehicle for a traffic violation? Obviously the forces actually have get off their ass and patrol around....

But then that means actually moving.

Never been pulled over, never seen ANYONE being pulled over and really would like to see the stats on how many traffic violations are issued per year and for what (besides no helmet fines). I see traffic police all the time in Phuket....at the cafe drinking coffee and reading newspapers.

The Thais obviously have a very serious problem in the South, would seem their two options are to negotiate a settlement or they need to launch a serious and professional (Thai Army?) crackdown on the region as the current strategy is obviously achieving nothing but Thai civilian and conscript casualties. No doubt there are political considerations that form the establishment response that we are not privy to, however I suspect most would unlikely be impressed by such.

Can't imagine how the average Thai living there puts up with the nightmare and constant fear of death. We keep hearing from press releases and sympathetic PC posters that the majority of Muslims are offended by the assasinations, murders, mutilations, bombings and indimidation. Whether moderate Muslims are silenced by fear or religious solidarity by not wanting to oppose their sociopathic brethren, unless they become part of a solution naming names then they are in defacto condoning selective genocide. I believe this as a defence was covereed at Nuremburg.

We have many Muslims here in the north, however no one is shooting or beheading them, nor assaninating their religous leaders or families, they live in an enclave by choice and seem to not mingle with other Thais apart from conducting business through foodstands etc. Will Thai Muslims ever actually integrate and even if the South was offered autonomy I wonder how many Muslims that supposedly hate their Thai oppressors would return to reap the religous ecstasy of the Sharia Caliphate?

Considering there's people roaming the streets with Ak-47's. Im sure if it was the west the whole zone would be locked down..everyone's homes checked and all partys spoken too. But hay 6,000 dead.. no problem

Yep, Northern Ireland showed the world how it should be done...............rolleyes.gif

Its not that simple. Look at the nightmare that Iraq turned into. Winning the big war with mass troop movement was a given, but for a coalition force to be so arrogant that they ignored the certain use of guerilla tactics by the Iraqi's was insane. I hope something has been learnt from this lesson.

I'm afraid your appraisal of how to handle the problems 'down south' won't work without the backing of sound intelligence, and more to the point, a reliable network for that stream to run.

Until they get their act together and get their network up and running, nothing changes.

• Like 2

Aggressive pursuit of terrorists would result in a perceived loss of Jai Dee. I experienced a potentially frightening situation at the airport a few months back. I admonished the officer for touching a touching a bag left unattended. He saw my point and queried people in the line. and found the owner, an old man who was too tired to drag it to the front of the line.The officer handled the situation correctly by not over reacting. The same situation in the US would have shut the entire airport down. Experts say security too laid back...I have seen "ramped up security" and ask the question, "Would I really want LOS to be more like the US?"

Thailand @ Defcon A, would not be too much fun.

Edited by GaryNelsonHarper

Nice headline.

Experts turn out in the first paragraph to be senior democrat.

And if the Democrats were in charge the PTP would have said the same thing.

It really doesn't matter who is in charge, TRT, PPP, Army, Democrats or PTP people are being murdered every day.

It is way past time that ANY Government DID something instead of all talk and NO actioon.

Regularly go through these sandbagged "checkpoints" nearer Satun....a few chicane cones riot barrier and a tent with young army types absent or inactive. There is an army barracks en route with similar setup outside...new razor wire along the base fence I noticed?...usually unmanned...

Someone please tell me that the AU-23 P US-made aircraft, which the Air Vice Marshall in the OP refers to, isn't the 1970s-era Vietnam War plane of the same name, which Wikipedia describes ? cheesy.gif

Hasn't military-surveillance advanced since then ? Why doesn't the RTAF have any ? Given that they have an on-going hot-war in the South ? Or are US-military drones unable to operate in Thailand, due to not having night-lights, or whatever. blink.png

I hadn't ever heard about that plane either. Only 15 were built then mothballed in 1972 after being deemed unsuitable...

I hadn't ever heard about that plane either. Only 15 were built then mothballed in 1972 after being deemed unsuitable...

"All aircraft were later sold to the Royal Thai Airforce" (source - Wikipedia)

And still in front-line service, some forty years later, and still being touted by the AVM as the answer to the current problem. blink.png

Unsuitable for the USA because they had been defeated in Vietnam and no longer needed the aircraft. the planes are useful wherever there are short airstrips. The same plane is used by the Swiss and Austrian military. In Thailand, the planes have been used for border surveillance, not for combat. The planes will be of use in the south,

The planes will be of use in the south,

Maybe but I doubt aerial surveillance of any sort will prove to be useful in this conflict. Like the jet fighters here, they have no tactical or strategic use whatever but serve as symbols of national power. Looks like a fun taildragger to fly though...

Nice headline.

Experts turn out in the first paragraph to be senior democrat.

And if the Democrats were in charge the PTP would have said the same thing.

It really doesn't matter who is in charge, TRT, PPP, Army, Democrats or PTP people are being murdered every day.

It is way past time that ANY Government DID something instead of all talk and NO actioon.

I was expecting an article written by independent terrorism or counter insurgency experts, not Democrats.......