Black Labrador Bites Newborn Baby To Death In Bangkok

webfact

People who do not know how to train a dog will pay the consecuences...This one was very sad and tragic.

A guard dog has to be secure all the time, because will attack any unfamiliar people invading it's "territory".

Labradors are the mos intelligent dogs. This dog just reacted properly for what its was badly trained.

The child parent is guelty for it's dead. In other country it will be jailed.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

labrador my arse. i bet my balls its some improper mixed bred with genetic errors and treated like shlt by the owner. dogs here arent the same, they don't even sleep in the same house and eat left over food. the stray dogs back home had similar or better treatment, no way would it should be close to any young child, let alone a newborn. no matter how well trained a dog is, no way it is safe with a newborn. i grew up with a rottweiler, not sure about the details but i could vaguely remember playing with it since a very very young age. a big sweet heart

Edited by barefoot1988

A post using all caps and oversize fonts expressing outrage (shouting) has been removed. If you find an objectionable post, use the report button to report the objectionable content.

An inflammatory post has been removed as well.

yet another tragic story because of retarded parents.

They made dog a guard dog and left 9 day old unattended with easy access for the dog.

honestly some people i am certain have less brain than a chicken and should not be allowed to breed, or better yet should be locked up so they do not cause any harm to others

you are permanently trying to defend dogs, calling people stupid and the dogs normal...

but in fact, you are permanently saying, dogs are monsters...

im not saying, dogs are monsters or they are not, but you are saying it really all the time - in that really weird attempts to defend them...

on the other thread, when a dog bit a 3 year old to death, you would basically say, that the child has to be locked up, because the dog would run free...

dont you see it ? really not ?

are you trolling or really are serious?blink.png

dog is a dog and acts on instinct, whats peoples excuse?

if you have a 9 day old baby, for starters you do not leave it in another room while you go cook or do whatever else.

secondly if you have a guard dog you do not leave doors open to the house where you left your baby sleeping on the sofa.

man i hope you do not have dog and a new bornrolleyes.gif

What you supposed to do then hold it in your hands whilst you cook up a nice fried egg. Then we will have the story line incompetent grandmother throws hot fat over new born <<disguised profanity removed>> wake up will you. Cant blame the Granmamar for this dood.

There are old fashioned ways of how to take care of infants

1. Place the crib in safe but visible position when wanting to do other things

2. Do not do other things such as cooking when looking after the infant

3. Buy ready made food from outside

RIP little one,

Can not blame the parents, can not blame the grandma, can not blame the dog, accidents do happen, however people with common sense do everything possible to avoid and prevent accidents.

• Like 2

Got to say this, there is something that just doesn't add up in this story. The Dog is the only animal that has been so extensively befriended by man throughout the world. It's so common everywhere to see households having the dog as part of the family. There has to be good reason for this. And in terms of man-animal relationships the reason probably is that through history man has realised that the dog is indeed his best friend.

Dogs guard human families with their lives selflessly. The dog is the one creature that gives so much happiness to his/her master's family without seeking anything in return. I have seen a German Shepherd guard and indulge the little 3 year-old girl of his master's family to such an extent that she would pull his ears and hug him and play with him and he would take it all. In one case a small boy tumbled down the stairs and the dog with whom he was playing leapt down the stairs to position himself at the bottom to cushion the boy's fall. These are selfless creatures, believe it. Not for nothing are they called man's best friend.

But there are instances when a dog turns on his master. More often than not there are reasons like frustration or a disease in some form that leads to the attack. That said, it challenges the imagination to be told that a family dog bit and mauled the infant of the family. Nah, no way, I say. Stray dogs are known to do that but not a family dog -- unless it was rabidly sick. I cannot believe this story as narrated.

My two-baht bit : The Dog has been framed!

Edited by HereIAm
  • Like 1

My heart goes out to the family involved. RIP to the young soul and to the dog. A terrible day at that household.

I have 2 retrievers and often thought they would make the worst guard dogs in the world, capable only of wagging their tails against intruders' legs and slowing them down by walking in front hoping for a stroke or a scratch. However when it comes to cats, they are proven killers, and I've seen with my own eyes how they dispatched an unfortunate feline who tried crossing the property.

Long since, when kids are about, the dogs are put in the cage. Dogs are animals and can act on basic instincts. This sad story is a sobering reminder for everyone to take due care with kids and animals.

This is a very usual case for several reasons.

(1) It is a documented fact that even wild animals seem to have a sense that infants are different and do not pose any threat. Short of flat out predators, who would still have to be very, very hungry, it is rare to see an attack on a baby.

(2) It is much more rare to see a dog attack an infant

(3) The breed, Labrador is known for a gentle nature and at least in my part of the world, is not classed as "guard dog" material.

(4) What is not surprising is that Thai Visa Peanut Gallery, with little or no facts to back them up, has condemned the parents. Perhaps if they had been "nice people" (Read: "White") you could see this for what is is. A tragedy few can compare with. You are a hard-hearted lot indeed, and in that, I am being generous, since it means you might have one.

here is the result of a 10 second Google image search

https://www.google.c...1ac.IILFXVnfx3w

Most of your factual claims are wrong. A few minutes reading this chart will show : i) dogs attack babies and toddlers with shocking regularity; ii) Labradors are an emotionally unstable breed, and sometimes attack a member of the family - often a child - without warning. This is common knowledge in that dog-mad country, the UK. Please note, this chart is for Fatalities in one country -->

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

I did take time to review your document. Might be handy if you did, since it does not support your claim that "dogs attack babies and toddlers with shocking regularity" It does point to one thing however, in the past several years, genuine guard dogs and fighting dogs are responsible for most attacks. The thing I did get from this is, anyone who lets a child near near their Pit Bull is the village idiot. However, if you really look at this...no...it does not support your thesis, and certainly not for Labradors.

(1) It is a documented fact that even wild animals seem to have a sense that infants are different and do not pose any threat. Short of flat out predators, who would still have to be very, very hungry, it is rare to see an attack on a baby.

(3) The breed, Labrador is known for a gentle nature and at least in my part of the world, is not classed as "guard dog" material.

(4) What is not surprising is that Thai Visa Peanut Gallery, with little or no facts to back them up, has condemned the parents. Perhaps if they had been "nice people" (Read: "White") you could see this for what is is. A tragedy few can compare with. You are a hard-hearted lot indeed, and in that, I am being generous, since it means you might have one.

Yes, but, in every one of those pictures, there was apparently an adult nearby - taking the photo. Presumably this adult would have been in a position to come to the baby's aid in the unlikely event of an attack. What happened in the case at hand is that a dog was allowed access to a baby - with no adult around.

That being said, it's not like the parents left the dog with the baby in the same room. Apparently the dog came into the house - unbeknown to the grandmother, who was cooking in another room.

Leaving the baby with the grandmother was not the cause of the problem, nor necessarily was leaving the baby alone, provided, for example, the baby was sleeping at the time. The real mistake was leaving the room open to entry by the dog. We don't know who is responsible for that mistake.

i regret putting those pictures up, because the point has been missed by many. At this writing, I can only guess how many millions of dogs and infants are nose to nose right now. The pictures were meant to point to an accepted norm, over, say, the last 10,000 years or so.

That being said, the really mean side of Thai Visa has been exposed. The gripping about jet skis, politics, etc...is all in good fun...but many comments today sadden me, since the only objective of this thread is to cast blame on the victims. That is correct. The victims. The innocent child, the grieving parents, the grandmother who will never forgive herself, and a dog who had serious problems. I am having trouble finding any guilty party, except perhaps, some people on this thread who need to take some quite time, and answer the age old question, "Who the F do you think you are??"

• Like 1

Yes, but, in every one of those pictures, there was apparently an adult nearby - taking the photo. Presumably this adult would have been in a position to come to the baby's aid in the unlikely event of an attack. What happened in the case at hand is that a dog was allowed access to a baby - with no adult around.

That being said, it's not like the parents left the dog with the baby in the same room. Apparently the dog came into the house - unbeknown to the grandmother, who was cooking in another room.

Leaving the baby with the grandmother was not the cause of the problem, nor necessarily was leaving the baby alone, provided, for example, the baby was sleeping at the time. The real mistake was leaving the room open to entry by the dog. We don't know who is responsible for that mistake.

i regret putting those pictures up, because the point has been missed by many. At this writing, I can only guess how many millions of dogs and infants are nose to nose right now. The pictures were meant to point to an accepted norm, over, say, the last 10,000 years or so.

That being said, the really mean side of Thai Visa has been exposed. The gripping about jet skis, politics, etc...is all in good fun...but many comments today sadden me, since the only objective of this thread is to cast blame on the victims. That is correct. The victims. The innocent child, the grieving parents, the grandmother who will never forgive herself, and a dog who had serious problems. I am having trouble finding any guilty party, except perhaps, some people on this thread who need to take some quite time, and answer the age old question, "Who the F do you think you are??"

Some kind of superstar

Some of the replies on this thread are quite simply mental............and some of the people on this thread are needing to have a good talk to themselves.

How many babies are born into households with dogs every year?

How many babies are killed by those dogs every year?

There is a far greater chance of the child being killed by the parents than the dog......it's called infanticide and it's shockingly common.

You have nothing to regret, my dogs played an integral part in bringing up my children and they showed my children nothing but love and affection from day one as babies. Trying to tell that to these knee jerk idiots on this thread is a waste of time though.

I've already stated that parents are a far greater risk to babies than dogs, so what should we do? Make sure every parent is supervised 24/7? No....it's a nonsense. The story is only newsworthy as it's so unusual, and it's not a dog v human thing, this thread has degenerated into a bandwagon of opprobrium and stupidity based upon conjecture and nonsense.

So once again........go find the stats, who is the most fatal risk to babies? The family dog? Or the parents?

We have a choc lab and it is the most gentle and polite dog I have ever been around. It has been fine around our baby grandchildren and they they love to see each other.

I think the problem here is that lab was trained to be a guard dog and apparently to attack anyone he was not familiar with. I am shocked that a lab would attack a baby even with guard dog training. The problem breed I continually hear about is older pit bulls turning on family members and anyone else, and this Lab was extremely unusual.

When the consequences of a risk are too great you just can't take the risk- even though the probability of occurrence is extremely low. Can't give a guard dog access to a baby.

RIP, baby.

Definitely a problem there with the dog being jealous or seeing the baby as a perceived threat to the dog.

Condolences.

There is a story in Canada just recently of parents coming home to their dead baby of 9 months old and assumed right away that their dog had killed it because of the blood found all over the room and near the bed and they also beat the dog to death only to realize after that, that a fox had gotten into the bedroom and the bloodshed was from the dog trying to kill off the fox to save th baby ... ironic nah...?? They had 2 loses ... their beloved child and their beloved dog who tried to save their child... Yes they found the fox and it was half dead from dog bytes ... Life is indeed strange and I don't believe what is being said in this story at all!! .... I know dogs t well to believe this ////

Sure you're not mistaking it with this one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10251349

Definitely a problem there with the dog being jealous or seeing the baby as a perceived threat to the dog.

Condolences.

the dog see's all the attention being shown to the baby we all know what happens when one becomes jealous.another sensless death.

I'm almost at a loss for words.

I have 4 dogs who adore kids and defend kids from

unknown to the dogs intruders. Guard dogs & kids?

I don't know much about that combination however

I reckon it's akin to treading on very thin ice or

whatever analogy one wants to use....can't be

very good in short.

Condolences to the family.

R.I.P. little one.

I can't believe what I'm reading with many of the posts in reply to this trajic story, most want to attack or blame the parents or the grandmother. I think quite a few posts are simply to show off their own self importance as they know exactly how to train and control dogs. This is a different culture, the dog is the lowest in the pecking order, people havn't been programmed to train dogs like the Brits for example.

It was an accident! one that could have been avoided with education of what may occur but no-one expected it no-one wanted it to happen. Don't blame the parents or the grandmother that is very unfair and will only add to their grief.

It's actually "normal" for any dog to see a small child as a competitor and hence they try to kill them. Seems like Thai people don't know that yet. A little knowledge always helps. Never leave a dog alone with a child smaller than 6 years!

And even a normal dog, that is not a guard dog, can do that!

Not only guard dogs. Huskies have also been known to attack babies

That is a really strange statement. Why on earth would you single out huskies? I own two 3 yo huskies, and while they are excellent with people, I would never dream of leaving them alone with an infant. Huskies are beautiful animals, but they are working dogs and should always be recognised as that as they have maintained an extremely high prey drive. A squealing child would likely sent them off, even the most placid of them.

Back home in my native country, a friends wife had had a child; the child was a couple of months old. The mother was in the kitchen and the child was sleeping in its pram when they heard barking and snarling. The pet toy poodle had managed to climb onto the pram and was trying to get to the bady through the covers. It was put down to a jealousy rage from the dog. Last thing it ever did, never made it out of the room.

NO child should ever be left unattended, even for a minute, with any dog, period. It is never worth the risk and until parents realise this, these tragic incidents will continue to happen.

you are permanently trying to defend dogs, calling people stupid and the dogs normal...

dogs that are aggressive, dont belong in private hands nor running free...

im not saying, dogs are monsters or they are not, but you are saying it really all the time - in that really weird attempts to defend them...

on the other thread, when a dog bit a 3 year old to death, you would basically say, that the child has to be locked up, because it was ok to have such dogs running free...

you make no sense at all!! your reasoning is all over the place!

He actually makes perfect sense. That is baiting pure and simple and has no place in this thread as it is related to a tragic event.

Terribly tragic accident..... lack of imagination and thought the main culprits, Guard Dog does not necessarily mean that it is a drooling blood thirsty hound trained to kill , all dog owners know that 99% of dogs will growl and bark if and when they hear a strange noise, this can be a deterrant to burglars !.... but all dogs are animals that will react to other strange smells, unusual actions and noises that a newborn baby can make,.....9 days is not long enough for the dog to understand that the baby is part of the family group , especially since it had probably been kept apart from said infant ( responsibly )... but just one lapse of thought was enough !, accidental access to new baby with all the afore-mentioned smells, wriggles and noises that possibly triggered the hunt and eat food /play with toy ??...whatever !!

All concerned will relive these days forever..... except the dog....... no real time for judgement...

yet another tragic story because of retarded parents.

They made dog a guard dog and left 9 day old unattended with easy access for the dog.

honestly some people i am certain have less brain than a chicken and should not be allowed to breed, or better yet should be locked up so they do not cause any harm to others

dogs that are aggressive, dont belong in private hands nor running free...

on the other thread, when a dog bit a 3 year old to death, you would basically say, that the child has to be locked up, because it was ok to have such dogs running free...

Your post makes no sence ???? are you Deranged ?

A Labrador is not a Guard dog. It is one of the nicest dog race

All dogs like to play. They bite smoothly when playing including the nicest ones. but the effect on a 9 day baby of a smooth bite is not the same than on an adult human. I have gotten Labradors and Golden Retrievers without any major issue since years.

From the dog what has happened was certainly unintentional. But it is to us humans, because we are supposed to be more intelligent, to manage the situations. As human, when you have pets, you have to understand then anticipate the behavior of your animals. It is our responsability as Masters.

If you cannot, better you have no pets.

That is correct. A Labrador is a very gentle dog. People are afraid of them because of size and looks. It is a retreiver,a good swimmer, loves kids and usually handles anything it picks up with care. I have owed a few (including some golden retreivers) and would not harm a mouse. As stated, a Labrador is not a guard dog; they are intelligent and used by the blind. I suppose it is possible that the dog has harmed with no intent or some other reason...or maybe it was not a Labrador that did this.

Bottom line, know your dog and never beat your dog. And if you do have a guard dog, ensure that it will not be near kids or people.

I feel for the family, Condolences

Have you ever owned one? Or are your theories based on what you have read or seen? The one thing a lot of readers are not comprehending with this story is that the dogs role was a guard dog. For a Labrador to get to that level, it will need to be 're-trained' from its natural friendliness. For this to happen (IMO) there will have been mistreatment at some stage for the dog to mistrust humans, thus instilling a defensive nature. If you need a guard dog, get one that is naturally agressive. If you 'change' any animals natural instincts (read all pets) then you have to look for problems ahead.

My apologies if this offends anyone reading about this tragedy, just trying to explain a possibility of what I see without all the facts.

As an aside to what has been said throughout this thread:

My brother's wife was expecting their first child. They owned a 2 yo doberman bitch, and after serious consideration about getting rid of the dog or keeping it, they agreed to keep the dog under extremely close supervision. The doberman was a 'failed' police attack dog that would have been put down had they not taken it in.

My brother's wife had their first son, and when she returned from hospital they both noticed a change in the dog; more alert than they had seen before with a great deal of attention towards the child. Again, they had a rethink about their decision to keep the dog, and once again opted in keeping it.

Over the next month, the bond between dog and child developed. It got to the stage where, if the dog knew you, it would let you approach the child while trying to keep its body between you and the infant. If it didn't know you, it would lie full length in front of the child, ears tight to the head and 'smile' at you. Scary experience.

Jody (the doberman) passed away 3 months ago at the age of 14. In all that time, she never bit anyone and was a companion to the child throughout. All the protective instincts were natural, no need for any training as it was a member of the family.

The reason I have submitted this is to show the flip side of having dogs as pets. It can, and usually does work.

• Like 2

My brother's wife was expecting their first child. They owned a 2 yo doberman bitch, and after serious consideration about getting rid of the dog or keeping it, they agreed to keep the dog under extremely close supervision. The doberman was a 'failed' police attack dog that would have been put down had they not taken it in.

My brother's wife had their first son, and when she returned from hospital they both noticed a change in the dog; more alert than they had seen before with a great deal of attention towards the child. Again, they had a rethink about their decision to keep the dog, and once again opted in keeping it.

Over the next month, the bond between dog and child developed. It got to the stage where, if the dog knew you, it would let you approach the child while trying to keep its body between you and the infant. If it didn't know you, it would lie full length in front of the child, ears tight to the head and 'smile' at you. Scary experience.

Jody (the doberman) passed away 3 months ago at the age of 14. In all that time, she never bit anyone and was a companion to the child throughout. All the protective instincts were natural, no need for any training as it was a member of the family.

The reason I have submitted this is to show the flip side of having dogs as pets. It can, and usually does work.

and if it didn't work? Big price to pay.

• Like 1

and if it didn't work? Big price to pay.

"IF", always plays a major role in life.
  • Like 1

This is a terrible tragedy,may god bless the little one.

But as i have posted before, 80% of Thais should not be allowed

to own a dog,they are completely irresponsible.Very often i have

seen a bitch on heat with 10 or more dogs completely blocking

the road trying to mount the poor bitch. Why the local

authorities do not employ dog wardens i will never know.

But may god bless him and may he rest in peace.

Why are people pointing fingers at the Parents, they left their Son in the hands of a responsible Adult, the Grandmother.

She should be up on charges in my opinion.

Classic Western response.... maybe claim against Grandmas Insurance Companys public liability as well?

These people will be suffering , have some sympathy.

I have been a dog owner nearly all my life. Having had Labradors, English Pointers, Retrievers, Great Danes and mixed breeds (the good old mongrel!). Each dog, just the same as humans, has a different temperament, both as a breed and as an individual and whilst I had young children with the dogs, I never allowed the dogs alone with the children until I was sure the interaction between the child and dog was convivial and non-aggressive. I would never allow the baby to be alone with the dog. Also the dog was taught that baby's room was off limits. But in fairness to the poor parents, this is someone who, as I said, has been around dogs all my life, and one does not know what the Parent's experience of dogs was, more importantly the poor devastated Granny who, through probably lack of experience, contributed to the dreadful incident. As for criticising the people for having a Guard Dog, one does also not know their circumstances. Were they in an isolated location, had there been break-ins in the area and so on?

It sounds like a dreadful accident, which in my opinion, does not deserve some of the more vitriolic comments by some on this Forum - shame on you.

• Like 1

This is a terrible tragedy,may god bless the little one.

But as i have posted before, 80% of Thais should not be allowed

to own a dog,they are completely irresponsible.Very often i have

seen a bitch on heat with 10 or more dogs completely blocking

the road trying to mount the poor bitch. Why the local

authorities do not employ dog wardens i will never know.

But may god bless him and may he rest in peace.

Surely this god would have been better off not letting the dog savagely maul the baby to death in the first place instead of blessing his mutilated body. Ok, I know, don't tell me, he works in mysterious ways...

I very disgusted by some of the posters on this thread.

Have we heard the FULL story or just the one from the news paper and we all know they don't tell the truth.

What has happened is a very sad thing can any of you imagine what the parents must be going through? In particular the mother just nine days before this happened she gave birth to this little baby, carrying the baby for nine months having the joy for just nine days then this happens, this kind of thing can send a lot of women over the edge, it can destroy family's.

So please members of TV be a little more considerate of what you say here.

• Like 1