Aggressive Driving In Thailand

*Duh* I know that video is not Thailand. The OP asked here. What is the silliest driving we have seen in Thailand. So i posted to him, if anyone were to do that in the roads here. They will be shot most likely.

Do you un-der-stand now, miss farm girl ?

They're driving on the right hand side so that's probably the US. I'd say after that happened, the guns come out. That will get you shot in the US too. BTW -- childish on both drivers part.

And I see stupid and aggressive driving in Thailand all the time.

It is Russia. There have been a lot of absolutely crazy driving videos coming out of there lately. Stuff like people going after each other with crowbars and axes over traffic disputes or deliberately driving people off the road for insurance scams. Not really sure what it has to do with Thailand, other than it's apparently a place that's even worse to drive.

They're driving on the right hand side so that's probably the US. I'd say after that happened, the guns come out. That will get you shot in the US too. BTW -- childish on both drivers part.

So if they are driving on the right, they are probably US? Most of the countries drive on the right side.

I just recently took a picture of a Thai driving school. Here it is!!!

post-53467-0-04495700-1344123260_thumb.j

Driving down highway 41 in Surat Thani. 800 m from lights. I checked my mirror, then pulled into the outside lane. Nearest vehicle was about 500 m behind. I'm letting the truck coast lights at red. As the road widened for the u turn. I'm overtaken. This guy was doing about 80. 2 wagons ahead of me, he turns left across 2 lanes into the motor bike lane. Still going fast, then accelerates, and just as he got to the lights, they changed to green.

Look at the license plates, that's Eastern Europe or USSR.

Without being too harsh, I would say that Thai drivers are one of the most inconsiderate I have ever struck. If I'm changing lanes, with blinkers on, to get into the outside lane for a right hand turn, drivers will actually speed up to prevent me changing lanes. Or if you are turning right across the oncoming traffic, they will deliberately close the gap so you can't get across, even if they can't move themselves. Or if you are turning left from a sidestreet into a busy main road, same thing, close the gap. I'm not talking just plain bad driving here, although there's plenty of that, but downright rudeness.

• Like 1

Without being too harsh, I would say that Thai drivers are one of the most inconsiderate I have ever struck. If I'm changing lanes, with blinkers on, to get into the outside lane for a right hand turn, drivers will actually speed up to prevent me changing lanes. Or if you are turning right across the oncoming traffic, they will deliberately close the gap so you can't get across, even if they can't move themselves. Or if you are turning left from a sidestreet into a busy main road, same thing, close the gap. I'm not talking just plain bad driving here, although there's plenty of that, but downright rudeness.

That is why you should never use indicators when changing lanes

I reckon that's two really inappropriate posts in row there, both are false but I'm not sure which one is worst.

Please clarify.

Well first of all, anyone who underestimates gun ownership in Thailand is putting themself at risk, Thailand has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world and two thirds are unregistered, the rate of homicide by firearms is also one of the highest in the world, to ignore those things or deny they are real is stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_proliferation_in_Thailand

Secondly, advising people not to use turn signals whislt driving, well, surely that doesn't need an explanation as to why it's really poor advice.

I reckon that's two really inappropriate posts in row there, both are false but I'm not sure which one is worst.

Please clarify.

Well first of all, anyone who underestimates gun ownership in Thailand is putting themself at risk, Thailand has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world and two thirds are unregistered, the rate of homicide by firearms is also one of the highest in the world, to ignore those things or deny they are real is stupid.

http://en.wikipedia....ion_in_Thailand

Secondly, advising people not to use turn signals whislt driving, well, surely that doesn't need an explanation as to why it's really poor advice.

I think the comment re not using indicators was tongue in cheek.

The reason the road fatalities are so high in LOS is because every time they pass a temple they do a quick wai, taking their eye of the road.

Sent from my handsfree i-phone, accidents happen.

As it happens the process of performing a wai when passing temples is benefical to road safety since it makes drivers avert their eyes from the soap opera playing on the in-car TV.

• Like 1

The reason the road fatalities are so high in LOS is because every time they pass a temple they do a quick wai, taking their eye of the road.

You don't think it's because some have never had a lesson in their lives, would have zero knowledge re road rules and are totally oblivious to what's going on around them?

As it happens the process of performing a wai when passing temples is benefical to road safety since it makes drivers avert their eyes from the soap opera playing on the in-car TV.

Thanks for that, i stand corrected.

Please clarify.

A safe bet to say every moo ban has at least one gun for hire.I did know who ours were. However one's banged up for eternal life, and police shot another, when he retired without their permission.

the rate of homicide by firearms is also one of the highest in the world, to ignore those things or deny they are real is stupid.

Nope, that firearm murder stat linked in that wiki article is complete bunk. It was a mistranslation of firearm crime as firearm murder. There are ~20,000 guns per year confiscated by the police for various reasons, this got translated as 20,000 firearms murders and got put in to international statistics, which would be one of the highest rates in the world if true. It is not, total murders last year were 3,307, and the police do not have statistics on what weapons are used. Murder rate is several times higher than most of Europe but about the same as the US. Can look at crime statics for every year here

Thai drivers can be aggressive but are not that bad. The real problem, especially in Bangkok, are the little mopeds. Just like the flies in Australia, so many of them buzzing around you, so annoying !

If there was an olympic for bad drivers in Thailand, silver and bronze should be shared by young girls and old men.

But gold will definitively go to commercial van drivers.

Edited by JurgenG

Incidently, who drives along with a video camera on the go all the time? Or did they foresee the road rage as common place in that neck of the woods?

Those dash and windscreen cams run continuously on a loop.

Driving down highway 41 in Surat Thani. 800 m from lights. I checked my mirror, then pulled into the outside lane. Nearest vehicle was about 500 m behind. I'm letting the truck coast lights at red. As the road widened for the u turn. I'm overtaken. This guy was doing about 80. 2 wagons ahead of me, he turns left across 2 lanes into the motor bike lane. Still going fast, then accelerates, and just as he got to the lights, they changed to green.

When I drive in Thailand, I will see, without fail, Thais running red lights, i.e. still crossing as the lights turn red, cars and motorcycles.

I've seen what's described here very often.

Taking an awful lot of risks..........that's what separates the fools from the skilled.