Post-dating Uk Visitor Visa

Hi all,

I have checked a couple of previous threads on this forum discussing post-dating the start date of a tourist visa to the UK, but I haven't seen any mention of how to actually specify a preferred visa start date when making an application.

Field 5.2, in Section 5 of the VAF1 form asks "One what date do you intend to arrive [in the UK]?" If the date entered into this field is about one month from now will the visa officials deduce that the applicant wishes the visa to start on that date? If not, how does one alert them to this, bearing in mind we will be using the drop box?

Thanks in advance.

djmm

If i remember correctly the visa is valid for entry for 3 months, and its duration starts from the date of your actual entry, subject to approval by immigration in UK, so for example if you get a 6 month visa, you will have to travel within 3 months of the visa being issued (or it will expire) and then immigration in UK will stamp the visitors passport with an expiry date a maximum of 6 months from arrival in the UK

If i remember correctly the visa is valid for entry for 3 months, and its duration starts from the date of your actual entry, subject to approval by immigration in UK, so for example if you get a 6 month visa, you will have to travel within 3 months of the visa being issued (or it will expire) and then immigration in UK will stamp the visitors passport with an expiry date a maximum of 6 months from arrival in the UK

Thanks for prompt reply, PS.

I didn't know about the three month rule. That sounds fine.

Cheers,

djmm

DJMM,

The rules have changed since Phuket Siam's time. The immigration officer no longer grants the permission to enter. It is the visa that does that, so the holder's permission to stay in the UK starts on the day the visa is issued. If you want the visa post-dating, I'd write it in a covering letter stating the date from which you want the visa to be valid.

Scouse.

I was in Thailand for christmas and thought it would be a good time to get a visit visa for my GF to visit in 2006.We entered a travel date of 24th april but when the clerk who inspects the paperwork before submission to the ECO saw the date he instructed my GF to come back nearer the date,luckily my GF had the idea to say she had made a mistake on the form and we would be travelling on the 24 th feb and she altered the form appropriatley.We got the visa but dated from the 13th dec so from what I can make of the rules her travel must be completed by the 13th june,which is ok for us as I planned for her to stay until 4th june.I really don't know how to post date a visa there is no facility on the form to do so.

DJMM,

The rules have changed since Phuket Siam's time. The immigration officer no longer grants the permission to enter. It is the visa that does that, so the holder's permission to stay in the UK starts on the day the visa is issued. If you want the visa post-dating, I'd write it in a covering letter stating the date from which you want the visa to be valid.

Scouse.

Thanks for the update, Scouse.

I presume the letter should come from the applicant? I'll knock up a quick note and get the little lady to put her scrawl on it.

Cheers,

djmm

I was in Thailand for christmas and thought it would be a good time to get a visit visa for my GF to visit in 2006.We entered a travel date of 24th april but when the clerk who inspects the paperwork before submission to the ECO saw the date he instructed my GF to come back nearer the date,luckily my GF had the idea to say she had made a mistake on the form and we would be travelling on the 24 th feb and she altered the form appropriatley.We got the visa but dated from the 13th dec so from what I can make of the rules her travel must be completed by the 13th june,which is ok for us as I planned for her to stay until 4th june.I really don't know how to post date a visa there is no facility on the form to do so.
One can post date a visa for up to a maximum of 3 months, which is why your g/f was originally told to come back later. Also, simply putting in a date of travel will not cause the visa to be postdated, you have to ask for that separately, either in a covering letter or at the interview.