Vegetarian Food In Issan

wellred

Having decided that I'm gonna spend some time in Khon Kaen Id like some info on how easy/hard it is to find vegetarian food there. I'm pretty easy in the way of I can just ask them for pad phak and rice or tofu penang.. and this has worked in most places I've travelled in Thailand but are things different up in Issan?

Cheers

Asking your average KK restaurant for a no-meat dish is dodgy. There are several JA (Jay) vegetarian restaurants around town the largest one near the KK national museum on Langsoonratchakan Road. Be advised however they go heavy on the palm oil which isn't so healthy either.

The are a few Vegie places around Khon kaen when you know what sign to lookout for it becomes easier to spot them, i have 3 favourite ones and the best is the one mentioned above near the kk national museum.

If you ask for Pad Pak, maybe try and make it clear that you don't want meat in it.

As some restaurants in Isaan, at least in the town I live anyway, often like to include meat with Pad Pak (Since why would someone NOT want meat in their meal right?).