Recomendations And Considerations For Best Bang For My Baht In A 2 Tb External Hd Available In Los

jaideeguy

As the title reads, I'm shopping for a 2 tb external HD and so many to choose from that my head is spinning. Assume that I should shop for a USB3 capable model, thinking of future needs, but what abour best brands for reliability, support etc??

Your suggestions and opinions appreciated and model names or numbers with prices and sources also appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Preference for hard drives depends on the person and their experiences. Personally I would recommend Western Digital, and would never buy a Seagate again. I had a WD drive go bad and took it to their service center in Future Town and received a replacement, no questions asked. I was having problems with a 4TB Seagate that was advertised to be compatible with Mac OSX, but received zero help from their customer service. Come to find out Mac OSX wouldn't recognize a 4Tb partition, which Seagate refused to acknowledge. Just my opinion.

Preference for hard drives depends on the person and their experiences. Personally I would recommend Western Digital, and would never buy a Seagate again. I had a WD drive go bad and took it to their service center in Future Town and received a replacement, no questions asked. I was having problems with a 4TB Seagate that was advertised to be compatible with Mac OSX, but received zero help from their customer service. Come to find out Mac OSX wouldn't recognize a 4Tb partition, which Seagate refused to acknowledge. Just my opinion.

In the past, I've encountered on many occasions several problems with Seagate and Western Digital hard disk drives. To be honest, when those hard disk drives went bad under warranty period, they were repaired or replaced, but the whole process took some time (about one month usually) and of course, I have to restore my data from my backup storage (fortunately, I usually copy at least twice on different media what is really important).

I tend to buy Hitachi hard disk drives nowadays and never have had any problem with them so far.

Well in the past eight months now i have had nonstop problems with western digital harddrives and had to send three western digital caviar black and one western digital caviar green back to hardware house these were all 1TB .. I would say stay away from western digital fullstop and doesn't help you have to wait around four to six weeks for a new one ..

If you need to return a faulty HDD nowadays, don't return it to the shop you bought it. Both Seagate and WD have a process on their websites where you download a utility that does SMART a check. Just follow the process and you will be told how/where to get them replaced.

A few months ago I sent my office messenger out with one WD & one Seagate, both faulty. He came back with both having been exchanged on the spot.

My own experience is that both brands can fail and I would only buy on price. It is important to note when comparing that there is a big difference in both price and reliability between black and green drives. I still buy green drives but try not to use them for anything crucial.

Interestingly, there are only 2 main players in the HDD business now and the worldwide price of HDD's is about 50% higher now than it was this time last year - apparently due to the floods in Thailand. Do you believe that? At about the same time both of them reduced the warranty period on standard HDD's from (I think) 3 years to 1 year. Some collusion going on it would seem. Anyway they are in a sunset industry so perhaps trying to make some money while they can. A bit like Polaroid or Kodak.

Any comments re: Buffalo vs WD??....that's my budget and I've ruled out seagate, as I've had 3 of them fail on me.

I would rather buy an Hitachi hard disk drive and an external enclosure of my choice (or an Hitachi external HDD), because with a Buffalo external HDD, you don't know for sure prior buying and opening it what brand of hard disk drive they use for your specific model. It may be a Western Digital, a Samsung and even an Hitachi hard disk drive inside your Buffalo enclosure, because they don't stick to only one brand or manufacturer.

Any comments re: Buffalo vs WD??....that's my budget and I've ruled out seagate, as I've had 3 of them fail on me.

Should have a look at Tesco Lotus Hypermarket they normaly have some good deals on portable hard drives just remembered also a lot cheaper and say some of these normal shops as they buy in big bulk ? Something like 2500thb for a 1TB ?

Edited by Notstupid30

Should have a look at Tesco Lotus Hypermarket they normaly have some good deals on portable hard drives just remembered also a lot cheaper and say some of these normal shops as they buy in big bulk ? Something like 2500thb for a 1TB ?

You may easily find one External HDD, with a storage capacity of 1 TB and an USB 2.0 interface, for less than 2000 baht, but jaideeguy wants to buy one External HDD, with a storage capacity of 2 TB and (preferably) an USB 3.0 interface, and at the moment, I doubt that you can find this kind of device for much less than 3500 baht.

You may easily find one External HDD, with a storage capacity of 1 TB and an USB 2.0 interface, for less than 2000 baht, but jaideeguy wants to buy one External HDD, with a storage capacity of 2 TB and (preferably) an USB 3.0 interface, and at the moment, I doubt that you can find this kind of device for much less than 3500 baht.

Right, it seems like a small thing - USB2.0 or USB3. But if you try to write or copy 2TB over a USB2.0 interface it will take a couple of days. USB3 is 10 times faster.