Crime On Samui / Horton Murder Fallout

Jai Dee

I don't think it's fair to compare questionable deaths in a place like Pattaya to general murder rates in the west, e.g. America.

One should compare like with like. As we all know, Pattaya is full of questionable characters the town pretty much makes a living on prostitution and drinking. Try comparing it to similar places in America, such as Oakland, CA or Compton, CA where prostitution, drugs, etc. thrive out in the open.

It's grossly unfair comparing a murder rate in Pattaya to an average one in the USA, a country dominated by sleepy suburbs with barely anyone out in the streets.

It's what you DO that determines the risk of murder, much more so than WHERE you are. I'd say if one was to do the same things in the USA as they were doing in Thailand (go to unfamiliar places, interact heavily with many, many locals, mostly from poorer backgrounds), you'd have a 10x+ more chances of getting killed.

• 1 year later...
LAWYERS FOR TWO SUSPECTS IN THE MURDER CASE OF A BRITISH TOURISTS HAVE FILED APPEALED ASKING FOR REDUCED PENALTIES.

Appeals have been filed for the two fishermen sentenced to death for raping and killing a British tourist on Samui Island.

Appeals were filed yesterday for Mr. Wichai Somkhaoyai (วิชัย สมเขาใหญ่) and Bualoi Posit (บัวลอย โพธิ์สิทธิ์) who were sentenced to execution by the Surat Thani court on January 18th, under charges of raping and murdering British backpacker Katherine Elizabeth Horton on Samui Island.

The lawyers of the two men said the appeal came as the punishment was too severe and the two men should receive reduced penalties due to the lack of human witnesses of the crime. They argued that the court had used only DNA evidence in making its judgment, while the convicted men had confessed to all charges and provided corporation in every step.

The two men have been sent to the Nakhon Si Thammarat (นครศรีธรรมราช) special prison since January 19th.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 January 2006

Does anyone have any update on this case? What was the outcome?

Thanks in advance....

My understanding was that the sentences were commuted to life imprisonment.

Regards

BBC News Report 27/11/06

Ah ok, thanks for the link. :o

So, I presume that means they may also qualify for a further reduction in sentence IF there is an Amnesty on the 5th December, in honour of the King's 80th Birthday.....

I doubt they would get a reduction so early into their sentence.

I'm surprised the English language dailies didn't pick up on the stories from Koh Samui of the Belgians badly beaten up by mafia taxi drivers a few days ago. One was in a serious condition.

The paper, I forget Thai Rath or Daily News, also referred to a similar case of a tourist beaten up the previous week.

I've noticed some posters on Thaivisa assume the Thai media only pick up on stories of farang misbehaviour rather than vice-versa, but the Thai tabloids frequently have stories of farangs wronged.

Could it be TAT are paying the English dailies to keep quiet?

Just a michievious thought!

Bkk power elite should appoint a real crime fighter for places like Samui, Patong and Pattaya.

Look who some of the peoples' political heroes are; a man who systematically lied and cheated to make his family filthy rich. And another man who hired a few dozen thugs to raize a city block of downtown BKK - which destroyed hundreds of vendors' livelihoods.

It's obvious Thai law enforcement heavies are way too entrenched in the corrupt system to be effective crime fighters. How about an Israeli, or an American or a Scandinavian in charge (?)

They'd know how to set up decoys and stings and do undercover work. They'd also know how to oversee top-notch investigations and not be influenced by Thai customs of 'tea money' and 'cultural taboos.'

All this 'relocated to inactive posts' stuff is ridiculous. It just shuttles the same inefficient bumbling corrupt workers from one place to another. What ever happened to discipline with teeth? ...or the concept of 'the buck stops here' (?)

My understanding was that the sentences were commuted to life imprisonment.

Regards

BBC News Report 27/11/06

Ah ok, thanks for the link. :D

So, I presume that means they may also qualify for a further reduction in sentence IF there is an Amnesty on the 5th December, in honour of the King's 80th Birthday.....

I doubt they would get a reduction so early into their sentence.

I'm surprised the English language dailies didn't pick up on the stories from Koh Samui of the Belgians badly beaten up by mafia taxi drivers a few days ago. One was in a serious condition.

The paper, I forget Thai Rath or Daily News, also referred to a similar case of a tourist beaten up the previous week.

I've noticed some posters on Thaivisa assume the Thai media only pick up on stories of farang misbehaviour rather than vice-versa, but the Thai tabloids frequently have stories of farangs wronged.

Could it be TAT are paying the English dailies to keep quiet?

Just a michievious thought!

Hi Siripon, Txs for your response. Off topic but wondered if it's ok to follow up on your comment.... "I doubt they would get a reduction so early into their sentence."

Do you know what the criteria is as to how early in the sentence you can become eligible for a reduction? (I had understood that if were not appealing (or in fact had completed the appeal process), that you then became eligible and received a classification based on your behaviour - i.e. Normal, Good, Very Good and Excellent?). However, I may have understood wrongly....

I am aware though that at Bangkok Remand Prison, the current policy is that Classificiation Reviews occur twice a year (currently on 1st July and 1st January).

Re: your post about Samui, sad to hear about the Belgians, I hope they recover.

Mmm methinks the BK Post and The Nation don't pick up on half the crimes that are committed here either by or against foreigners.... I often see the Thai Rath Thai newspaper and just looking the pictures, can see something has gone on, yet when I read the English Thai dailies there doesn't seem to be a corresponding story! Smoke and mirrors :o