Top Envoys Voice Opinions On Thailands Stance In World Arena

Lite Beer

Top envoys voice opinions on Thailand's stance in world arena

6022735428_73b6d86557_m.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 7 - Thai ambassadors spoke their views on the country's stance in the world arena, following the ongoing Meeting of Thai Ambassadors and Consuls-General from Aug 3-8 held by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the capital.

Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Thailand to the United Nations Norachit Sinhaseni said Thailand will play an important role in the international arena.

In the next three years, the country will apply to become a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC), and will also run for seat as a non-permanent member of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) in the next four years.

Only elections will not be sufficient, he said Thailand must be ready to tackle its problems, while admitting that the southern unrest will affect the country's image.

Mr Norachit noted government policies affirm Thailand’s readiness to cooperate in different issues on the world stage such as security, peace, human rights, international crime, and combating drugs.

Thai Ambassador to Beijing Wiboon Khusakul said the government's policies delivered at the meeting regarding ambassadors to find more markets and expand the value of Thai trade can be applied immediately, particularly expanding agricultural exports.

The official visits of Thailand's prime minister to China and several top Chinese officials to Bangkok resulted in more collaboration between the two nations, especially on tax reduction.

Mr Wiboon said the meeting noted China as a large market, and that Thailand could definitely penetrate such a market. Plans to develop fruit markets in China for a higher quality will be set up to support higher purchasing power and add trade value.

Thailand will also have an advantage once the communication network in the ASEAN region is complete, for it can transport fruit to China at lower cost, while attracting Chinese travellers to spend more money in Thailand is targeted in the tourism sector.

Top envoys from 96 Thai embassies and consulates-general worldwide arrived in Bangkok for the meeting to discuss the government’s foreign policy and Thailand’s position in the world arena.

The envoys will also discuss with the Thai private sector during the six-day meeting, while those posted in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are meeting with governors from the 20 northeastern provinces.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra spoke at the opening ceremony Monday to give policy guidelines to the Thai diplomats, and Her Royal Highness Princess Bajrakitiyabha joined the meeting in her role as Ambassador/Chairperson of the United Nations Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ).

The last meeting was held in 2008.

To coincide with the gathering, foreign and interior ministries co-sponsored an OTOP (One Tambon One Product) products fair to be promoted by Thai diplomatic missions worldwide. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-07

Quotes :- In the next three years, the country will apply to become a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC),

Ambassador/Chairperson of the United Nations Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ).

Unquote

Human Rights? Crime Prevention? Criminal Justice? Thailand? Maybe I won’t have that third G&T after all. It seems that my reality has become a little fuzzy.

What I would find very entertaining is reports of a meeting of all the foreign Ambassadors to Thailand bluntly expressing their thoughts about the country and those that mismanage it.

• Like 2

1) "Thailand will play an important role in the international arena."

As R+R destination for the world sex tourists. That's about it.

2) In the next three years, the country will apply to become a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC)

It will take them3 years to work out what human rights actually means, and then find a way to ensure any piddling for face only measures they introduce will affect the HiSo families pocket and have no positive impact for anyone else in the Country.

3) that Thailand could definitely penetrate such a market (China)

Unless the China government continue to crack down upon corruption. It is one of the few countries in the world Thailand can do business outside of Africa. After all, the only way the know to win business is through bribery and graft.

4) for it can transport fruit to China at lower cost, while attracting Chinese travellers to spend more money in Thailand is targeted in the tourism sector

Yada yada yada - Buy our Fruit and then send tourist to give us money. Money money money money - we want your money.

Thailand. The hub of being <snip>, snide, weak willed, and generally a stain on the map.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

On another thread I just read, someone reported a Swiss man had committed suicide by stabbing himself in the chest. I read it, shook my head in sadness that Thai Authorities think people are so foolish, so stupid, that they will believe such rubbish.

Then I read here that Thailand wants to step up on the world stage for Human Rights and champion worthy causes of law, expand it's role in the United Nations.

I feel sad. Some people have called them delusional. I don't know about that, but I'm pretty certain they aren't ready for such lofty goals.

They are not going to penetrate the Chinese market unless the Chinese want them to. Besides, don't they have a gigantic trade deficit with China? It seems like more of the same trade with China is exactly what Thailand doesn't need.

They are not going to penetrate the Chinese market unless the Chinese want them to. Besides, don't they have a gigantic trade deficit with China? It seems like more of the same trade with China is exactly what Thailand doesn't need.

There is an enormous potential for selling Thai fruit in China. I remember Chinese colleagues of mine being utterly bemused at the sight of rambutan.

Only elections will not be sufficient, he said Thailand must be ready to tackle its problems, while admitting that the southern unrest will affect the country's image.

LMAO - the 'unrest' is the least of their problems . . . cr@p government, corrupt officials and police, graft, dual pricing, overpriced everything, "suicides" etc etc . . . these are the issues they need to be working on most of all.

1) "Thailand will play an important role in the international arena."

As R+R destination for the world sex tourists. That's about it.

2) In the next three years, the country will apply to become a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC)

It will take them3 years to work out what human rights actually means, and then find a way to ensure any piddling for face only measures they introduce will affect the HiSo families pocket and have no positive impact for anyone else in the Country.

3) that Thailand could definitely penetrate such a market (China)

Unless the China government continue to crack down upon corruption. It is one of the few countries in the world Thailand can do business outside of Africa. After all, the only way the know to win business is through bribery and graft.

4) for it can transport fruit to China at lower cost, while attracting Chinese travellers to spend more money in Thailand is targeted in the tourism sector

Yada yada yada - Buy our Fruit and then send tourist to give us money. Money money money money - we want your money.

Thailand. The hub of being <snip>, snide, weak willed, and generally a stain on the map.

Must be nice to live where you do

It's very conspicuous, given the headline, that comments from not a single foreign dignitary are quoted for this article.

Mr Norachit noted government policies affirm Thailand’s readiness to cooperate in different issues on the world stage such as security, peace, human rights, international crime, and combating drugs.

They ought to add that Thailand is only interested in apprehending foreign criminals (for xenophobia/face-saving reasons), and even in that department, they are sorely lacking. A short stroll down Pattaya's Walking Street will reveal not only foreign police officers doing the only police work in the area but also a very visible Russian house of prostitution featuring foreign prostitutes in full view of everyone (my understanding was that, to perform services of ANY kind in the Kingdom, a work permit is necessary?!). Thailand is a known haven for organized criminals from all over the world as a result of its venality and reputation for failing to enforce even rudimentary legal provisions. Thailand is a joke on the world stage and as of right now, whenever visits to the Kingdom are mentioned in the company of residents of other countries, eyebrows are raised, as nearly everyone knows that Thailand is really only good for one thing: sex tourism. Human trafficking groups estimate that around 70% of all of Thailand's visitors are in the country to buy sex. Sure does change the way you look at that sandal-clad tourist with his little camera for good measure.

It's very conspicuous, given the headline, that comments from not a single foreign dignitary are quoted for this article.

They ought to add that Thailand is only interested in apprehending foreign criminals (for xenophobia/face-saving reasons), and even in that department, they are sorely lacking. A short stroll down Pattaya's Walking Street will reveal not only foreign police officers doing the only police work in the area but also a very visible Russian house of prostitution featuring foreign prostitutes in full view of everyone (my understanding was that, to perform services of ANY kind in the Kingdom, a work permit is necessary?!). Thailand is a known haven for organized criminals from all over the world as a result of its venality and reputation for failing to enforce even rudimentary legal provisions. Thailand is a joke on the world stage and as of right now, whenever visits to the Kingdom are mentioned in the company of residents of other countries, eyebrows are raised, as nearly everyone knows that Thailand is really only good for one thing: sex tourism. Human trafficking groups estimate that around 70% of all of Thailand's visitors are in the country to buy sex. Sure does change the way you look at that sandal-clad tourist with his little camera for good measure.

What "Human trafficking groups"? That 70% number sounds like b.s. to me even if it was shouted out by some NGO. If you would take a stroll somewhere else than Pataya or Soi Cowboy 70% seems very unlikely. I live in Chiang Mai and there are scads of tourists everywhere. Probably 40% of them are women. Are they here for sex-for-sale with Thai men? No. Same in Hua Hin. Also in Bangkok once you leave Nana Plaza. So if you discount the females the 70% total number would require that something over 90% of the men would be here for sex tourism! Absolute &lt;deleted&gt;. To say that we should be suspicious of every single sandal-clad camera-toting tourist and assume that he is a sex-tourist I think is a astoundingly ignorant statement.

What "Human trafficking groups"? That 70% number sounds like b.s. to me even if it was shouted out by some NGO. If you would take a stroll somewhere else than Pataya or Soi Cowboy 70% seems very unlikely. I live in Chiang Mai and there are scads of tourists everywhere. Probably 40% of them are women. Are they here for sex-for-sale with Thai men? No. Same in Hua Hin. Also in Bangkok once you leave Nana Plaza. So if you discount the females the 70% total number would require that something over 90% of the men would be here for sex tourism! Absolute &lt;deleted&gt;. To say that we should be suspicious of every single sandal-clad camera-toting tourist and assume that he is a sex-tourist I think is a astoundingly ignorant statement.

Are you thinking only of farang visitors or the scores of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese, Indian, Middle Eastern, and Russian men that visit Thailand in numbers that skew tourism away from the European/American/Australian markets? The sex industry in Thailand predominantly serves Thai men, followed by Chinese, Japanese and Korean men (who, by virtue of culture, would never sully their image by being seen with a prostitute). Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza are a tiny speck in the total sex tour picture (massage parlors, hair salons, short-time motels and karoake bars that can be found about every kilometer of every road in Bangkok, if you look closely enough, as many don't advertise very loudly). Call it what you want, but as a resident of Thailand, I am EXTREMELY suspicious of anyone who visits Thailand outside of the regular kee nok farang, backpacker crowd and misguided families who believe they are visiting unspoiled beaches. I should have said 70% of male tourists.

http://www.wouk.org/...in Thailand.pdf

http://www.stickmanb.../reader291.html

You should read more, probably. Who's ignorant now?

Edited by Unkomoncents

Gotta love it; a bunch of Thai officials holding an official government meeting to discuss just how great Thailand's prospects are. I'm stunned!

However, this is typical of the whole face-saving society that plays such a large part of rotting this country to the core. Unless the citizens and officials of this country actually become capable of, let alone willing to, take a long, disconcerting look in the mirror, they won't stand a chance of fixing any of the problems. Until that happens, this country's attempts at self-analysis are going to remain a series of circle-j@#ks.

This is probably why prostitution is so popular among Thai men...when your life is a steady stream of happy talk to whatever Puu Yai is in your presence, it's always nice to have someone else responsible for pleasuring you for a change!

Edited by mrgeliteprep

Now I see a more plausible reason as to why Thailand gave recognition to the Palestinian state in January. It is difficult to win an election to any UN seat without the support of the large bloc of countries that have their own agendas. The Thais are politically astute and cunning in respect to their UN aspirations and I missed it because I didn't consider the big picture. Despite having been a generous aid donor to the third world and sharing many common positions with the aforementioned bloc, Canada lost its election to the security council because of its refusal to recognize Palestine. The Thais have obviously learnt from that situation. It is also why Thailand has remained on the sidelines in the South China sea dispute with China, letting the Phillipines carry the burden of resisting China's expansionism. It also explains why Thailand was sensitive to China's "concerns" over the NASA weather studies proposal. If China says yes to Thailand, then it is assured of the support of multiple African and Carrinbean countries that now rely on China's support. The Thai's are not as politically clueless as we think and have excelled at playing off the west vs. China and Russia to a lesser extent. Thailand is able to get away with alot with the west, but is very cautious when it comes to upsetting China and Russia.

Know who I think are the fools in all of this? The west. They talk and talk and wag their fingers, but never ever do anything. The inherent fear of not being "nice" gets in the way. In the meantime, the Chinese and Russians do as they wish without fear of the consequences. The end result is that the west is seen as weak and vacillating and easy to push around. Ever notice that Chinese and Russians despite their larger numbers in Thailand don't make the news as strange crime victims? When is the last time we read about a Chinese mysterious death? How about a Russian being extorted?

In a UN where Syria, Zimbabwe and Libya were able to sit on the human rights or security council, Thailand should fit right in. Meanwhile the west can moan and groan and say it's incredible. Unfortunately, we westerners have created the conditions that allow it and it is why the Thais, don't care about the views of the western foreign diplomats. They will only care if and when the western governments adopt a consistent common policy that attaches consequences to the Thai behaviour, just like the Chinese and Russians do. The western diplomats can make all the protests and complaints they want, but appeasement does not work with people that have a tendancy to bully. The western diplomats will only be listened to if their respective governments send a clear signal. It's worked before such as the deployment of Australian warships to discourage bogus refugees coming from Thailand. Sadly, only Australia seems to understand the Thai mentality and it cannot do it alone. If it had not been for Australia providing guidance to Canada on the bogus refugees, Canada would have its thumb up its posterior and still be seeing boatloads of Tamils.

• Like 2

Gotta love it; a bunch of Thai officials holding an official government meeting to discuss just how great Thailand's prospects are. I'm stunned!

However, this is typical of the whole face-saving society that plays such a large part of rotting this country to the core. Unless the citizens and officials of this country actually become capable of, let alone willing to, take a long, disconcerting look in the mirror, they won't stand a chance of fixing any of the problems. Until that happens, this country's attempts at self-analysis are going to remain a series of circle-j@#ks.

This is probably why prostitution is so popular among Thai men...when your life is a steady stream of happy talk to whatever Puu Yai is in your presence, it's always nice to have someone else responsible for pleasuring you for a change!

And the entire planet engages in waves of roaring laughter. I believe perhaps 20 or 30 or 40 years ago the world was considering the possibility that Thailand would become a world player. Those days have long passed, and on a daily basis Thailand proves to the world how incapable, unwilling, unprepared, and otherwise unable it is, to become a world player. The economy is shrinking compared to it's neighbors, it is doing less (very nearly nothing at all) to fight corruption than Malaysia, Vietnam, in Indonesia, the Philippines, India, China, and even Laos. The educational system continues to erode, multinationals continue to leave Thailand, or decide not to come at all, due to the flooding issues, the visa issues (relatively difficult to live and work here, compared to neighboring countries) the lack of creative leadership, the corruption, the higher cost of living, etc. So, for this goombah to contend that Thailand is ready to become a player on the world stage, is like saying Mali is ready to usurp Japan, as winner of the Iron Chef award.

Thailand with have an uphill battle to convince the UN regarding human rights and its legal system. Thailand needs to repeal Art. 112, discontinue any and all lese majeste prosecutions, and release all people who are currently serving sentences for LM charges. It will also be a tough sell regarding Thailand's ability to comply with international law as long as there are 'open air' stolen intellectual property markets (cds, dvds, etc.) at several large malls around town. Good luck with that.

Thailands laws which are so anti freedom of speech with regard not only lesse majeste but a wide range of human rights violations and corruption at justice level means it should not be admitted to the UN human rights body

Sent from my LG-P350 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1