Streets Of Phuket

petercallen

The streets of Phuket, street directory is now available in book shops at long last

I bought one in the book store at the front of Jungcelon RHS of entrance

Paid 479 baht when i took the plastic wrap of it is priced at 399 baht on front cover

Its good but the pages are to small about the same size as a paperback novel

126 map pages to cover Phuket, would have been better with large pages and less maps, also its in English only which will effect there sales

Sales won't be affected because it's in English.

Thais don't do maps. Most of them can't use them.

My wife reads road directory's and maps it her who made the comment to me its only in English

I know plenty of other Thai people who use them as well

Edited by petercallen

Did you teach her?

Most Thai's that I know that can read a map were shown how by a westerner.

Yes i did its simple to do when you know how, i have shown other people as well and they pick it up straight away

Exactly my point. They need to be shown.

Did you teach her?

Yes i did its simple to do when you know how, i have shown other people as well and they pick it up straight away

Do every single one of "them" need to be shown? Or just most?

Pretty much all of "them".

Whenever I have asked directions from Thai people, they use landmarks that they know. If you give them a map to look at, they don't know.

They are not taught about maps, so, it's not surprising that they use other ways to give directions.

Edited by KarenBravo

Whenever I have asked directions from Thai people, they use landmarks that they know. If you give them a map to look at, they don't know.

They are not taught about maps, so, it's not surprising that they use other ways to give directions.

Hmm.. You just gave an idea for application for mobile mapping. Siri type of service which would record and understand the Thai way of giving directions.

Did you teach her?

Don't most people no matter what there nationally

You said it wont effect sales being only in English

Thais don't do maps, most of them cant use them

Lots more Thai people have vehicles now and like to be shown how to read maps

Its very easy to show people how to do it

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but, people in the UK are exposed to maps and how to read them when they are children.

Through Geography lessons at school, the Cubs, Scouts etc.

I would imagine that map reading here is going to become very wide-spread soon, through the use of GPS navigators in cars, but, for your average Thai citizen, maps are a mystery.

I don't know about you, but, people in the UK are exposed to maps and how to read them when they are children.

I would imagine that map reading here is going to become very wide-spread soon, through the use of GPS navigators in cars, but, for your average Thai citizen, maps are a mystery.

So what do Thai kids do on the days they go to school in those lovely scout uniforms?

So what do Thai kids do on the days they go to school in those lovely scout uniforms?

****** if I know.

They go to school with the scout unirforms on.sad.png

Most westernes don't know how to read a map or of any clue to where they are. Seen some very funny TV about that, when asked where they are (on holiday) they would point at Brazil, being in Switserland.

Really? Where are they from that they didn't know that Brazil is in South America and Switzerland is where? Near Germany and France? Who cares! I do think they have good chocolate though!

Edited by Jimi007

Learn nothing for about 4 hours, have a mid-day break and sleep, after that learn nothing for another 2 hours and then do sports for one hour before they go home? After about 18 years here, I still have to find a Thai person, who can read a map properly and use a compass (one of those high-tech mag(net)ic devices). I for my part learned that from my father when I was about 10 and we were out in the woods on horses... centuries ago smile.png

Rub two sticks together?

Most westernes don't know how to read a map or of any clue to where they are. Seen some very funny TV about that, when asked where they are (on holiday) they would point at Brazil, being in Switserland.

Really? Where are they from that they didn't know that Brazil is in South America and Switzerland is where? Near Germany and France? Who cares! I do think they have good chocolate though!

This is my personal favorite of the similar questions.. sorry Jimi ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxFz4LQUR1w

Then again. I would fail to pin most of African countries.

This is my personal favorite of the similar questions.. sorry Jimi wink.png

Then again. I would fail to pin most of African countries.

I've tried to ask Thai people where different counties are on a globe or a map. I end up teaching them. But I will agree that many people in many parts of the USA don't have a clue about much about the world. It use to be that less than 10% of Americans had a passport and had ever been outside the USA. I'm lucky, I've had one since I was 8 years old. It is rather a large country though with a somewhat uneducated populous in many areas... Also there is so much to see and do there, some people never would think of going somewhere else.

On your last point, I probably wouldn't do well either, African countries seem to change boundaries and names more often than most due to the constant wars for power there.

Never in the scouts but was a army cadet in high school, they practise orienteering which is going over a difficult coarse using maps and compasses, no roads just looking for land marks to guide you

Would you mind explaining what geography has to do with reading street maps or road atlases

Yeah I have noticed the same...I show "them" a map and "they" start looking for Bangkok or Isaan before working out where the Thepkasatri is.....

Would you mind explaining what geography has to do with reading street maps or road atlases

You would have to ask my geography teacher, but, he's probably dead by now.

You do know that the literal meaning of the word Geography means "earth describe-write" don't you?

That meaning pretty much defines any map, or atlas, yeah?

Edited by KarenBravo

You would have to ask my geography teacher, but, he's probably dead by now.

You do know that the literal meaning of the word Geography means "earth describe-write" don't you?

That meaning pretty much defines any map, or atlas, yeah?

Geography is the science that studies the lands and features and inhabitants and phenomena of countries, nothing to do with maps or atlases unless you want to find out where they are on a map of the world

For instance the Mediterranean, some parts of California and Perth Australia all have the same climate, learnt that in geography lessons at school and my teacher at the time would definitely be dead

Geography is the science that studies the lands and features and inhabitants and phenomena of countries, nothing to do with maps or atlases unless you want to find out where they are on a map of the world

For instance the Mediterranean, some parts of California and Perth Australia all have the same climate, learnt that in geography lessons at school and my teacher at the time would definitely be dead

Dear oh dear Peter, maps (whether ordnance survey type or road) and atlases are integral to the teaching of geography, as is the knowledge and use of a compass. You described an example yourself. They depict geography, and it's inconceivable how someone could learn geography without their use.

So, how do you teach someone how to read a map? Nobody ever taught me that, or maybe I was so young I don't remember.

Look up the map index for the name of a street or town

Next to it will be a page number and a map reference

For instance page 13 reference D4

Go to page 13 one side of the page has letters and one has numbers the page will generally have squares marked on it with a street directory

You cross reference number and letter, if the letter is at the top of the page you come down from it,the number is at the side of page you come across from it, the street you are looking for will be approx where the 2 lines meet or in the marked square

Edited by petercallen