Streets Of Phuket

petercallen

Most westernes don't know how to read a map or of any clue to where they are. Seen some very funny TV about that, when asked where they are (on holiday) they would point at Brazil, being in Switserland.

Really? Where are they from that they didn't know that Brazil is in South America and Switzerland is where? Near Germany and France? Who cares! I do think they have good chocolate though!

This is my personal favorite of the similar questions.. sorry Jimi wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxFz4LQUR1w

Then again. I would fail to pin most of African countries.

biggrin.png The Chaser team do some classics with the yanks. i had not seen that one. biggrin.png

So, how do you teach someone how to read a map? Nobody ever taught me that, or maybe I was so young I don't remember.

Look up the map index for the name of a street or town

Next to it will be a page number and a map reference

For instance page 13 reference D4

Go to page 13 one side of the page has letters and one has numbers the page will generally have squares marked on it with a street directory

You cross reference number and letter, if the letter is at the top of the page you come down from it,the number is at the side of page you come across from it, the street you are looking for will be approx where the 2 lines meet or in the marked square

That is how you do it, not how you teach it. Big difference between the 2.

So, how do you teach someone how to read a map? Nobody ever taught me that, or maybe I was so young I don't remember.

Go to page 13 one side of the page has letters and one has numbers the page will generally have squares marked on it with a street directory

You cross reference number and letter, if the letter is at the top of the page you come down from it,the number is at the side of page you come across from it, the street you are looking for will be approx where the 2 lines meet or in the marked square

That is how you do it, not how you teach it. Big difference between the 2.

Steven anyone who follows my instructions if they are plain enough will be able to read a map if they could not before, telling people how to do something is the same as teaching is it not

Most westernes don't know how to read a map or of any clue to where they are. Seen some very funny TV about that, when asked where they are (on holiday) they would point at Brazil, being in Switserland.

Really? Where are they from that they didn't know that Brazil is in South America and Switzerland is where? Near Germany and France? Who cares! I do think they have good chocolate though!

This is my personal favorite of the similar questions.. sorry Jimi wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxFz4LQUR1w

Then again. I would fail to pin most of African countries.

biggrin.png The Chaser team do some classics with the yanks. i had not seen that one. biggrin.png

I have one question: Which Walmart were they outside of, when these questions were asked?rolleyes.gif

telling people how to do something is the same as teaching is it not

No, it is not.

OK Steven explain why in more than one sentence

Telling people how to do something does not mean they can do it independently next time. And the latter is teaching, the former is making sure people do it the way you want.

No, it is not.

Telling people how to do something does not mean they can do it independently next time. And the latter is teaching, the former is making sure people do it the way you want.

Sheesh Steven we agree to disagree as we usually do

I gave them written instructions on how to do it, which is not just telling

Edited by petercallen

But then try asking whether you turn right or left, especially when travelling south.

If Thais can't read maps, why do you ALWAYS have to draw a map of where you live when you are having something delivered. There again, you also have to supply a phone number and usually the delivery men ring this to ask for directions when they have got lost!

My wife (Thai) never knew how to get around anywhere other than her local neighborhood or near the bus stations.

I amazed her with my map skills driving through Bangkok and later all over Thailand.

She wanted to learn and at first she had a hard time.

Now she breaks out the map and follows our route whenever we travel away from home.

So yes, Thais haven't been taught how to use a map.

But that doesn't mean they don't want to learn or can't.

It's all about priorities.

And how can you explain geography without a map?

Paper maps will be obsolete IMO in 10 more years.

GPS's have the maps inside them and easy to follow. (and more and more user friendly)

In America, I always carried one of those atlases with all 50 states and the major cities.

Now, I just carry my handheld GPS and try to take different routes all the time.

Same here in Thailand.

It's all good!

Priorities!

But then try asking whether you turn right or left, especially when travelling south.

If Thais can't read maps, why do you ALWAYS have to draw a map of where you live when you are having something delivered. There again, you also have to supply a phone number and usually the delivery men ring this to ask for directions when they have got lost!

Try asking liaw kwa or liaw sai for turn right or turn left then they understand

There has never been a decent street directory for phuket thats why they ask directions and a phone number, now they have brought one out its still only in english so you can expect the same thing to happen in the future

There has never been a decent street directory for phuket thats why they ask directions and a phone number, now they have brought one out its still only in english so you can expect the same thing to happen in the future

You're putting the cart before the horse. There have been no maps before because there was no demand. Thais get a hand-drawn map and a telephone number.

It is only since large quantities of foreigners have settled here and the building of new roads that this demand has been created.

You're putting the cart before the horse. There have been no maps before because there was no demand. Thais get a hand-drawn map and a telephone number.

It is only since large quantities of foreigners have settled here and the building of new roads that this demand has been created.

OMG of coarse there is a demand for a street directory now there are a lot more streets

And believe it or not Thai people in business need one as well

One of the bonuses of being a radio 'ham' is that you know the name of virtually every country in the world, the capital city, and some of the small cities in that country...

But I wouldn't want to 'inflict' that knowledge on anyone else smile.png

Simon

Edited by simon43

Try asking liaw kwa or liaw sai for turn right or turn left then they understand

I meant if you ask a Thai to navigate from a map.

I recently invested in a GPS and have been out of Phuket for the past few weeks and it has been great. Even gets me to the right places in Bangkok and out again.

Would you mind explaining what geography has to do with reading street maps or road atlases

You would have to ask my geography teacher, but, he's probably dead by now.

You do know that the literal meaning of the word Geography means "earth describe-write" don't you?

That meaning pretty much defines any map, or atlas, yeah?

Well not exactly what you're talking about in regards to maps. While reading this I thought of the word: Cartography. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartography

• Like 1

your gf/wives can not read maps? where the hell they finish university at? issan? 555

Explain whats wrong with people from Issan , is the poorest part of Thailand and they work in Cities and industrial estates all over the country because there is very little and poorly paid work near there homes

Do you have a university degree and what is it in not codwallop i hope

No, it is not.

Unfortunately, Independent thought, Situational awareness, mental arithmetic and reading maps are not thought in Thai Schools

Unfortunately, Independent thought, Situational awareness, mental arithmetic and reading maps are not thought in Thai Schools

Yes, true. Peter seems to fit right in as a teacher here though. Maybe a new career opportunity?