Earthing A Swimming Pool

bluesmith

Recommended reading http://www.tlc-direc.../Book/7.3.1.htm based upon the UK regs.

In a nutshell:-

1. No mains in the pool area
  2. Low-voltage (SELV) lighting
  3. Pump in a lockable house, grounded with its own rod and protected by an RCD

Note:- Mention of PME in a UK sense should be interpreted as MEN for applications in Thailand.

• 1 year later...

What about ponds ?

The 'self contained' plastic water pump that make the fountain spurt (flow) plugs into the mains 220 volts and only has 2 prongs on the plug and no where to earth it.

Couldn't it fail and make the pond LIVE ?

What about ponds ?

The 'self contained' plastic water pump that make the fountain spurt (flow) plugs into the mains 220 volts and only has 2 prongs on the plug and no where to earth it.

Couldn't it fail and make the pond LIVE ?

Not if the circuit is protected by an RCD (Safe-T-Cut) as recommended by most manufacturers of mains powered pond pumps.

Any failure of the pump insulation will immediately trip the RCD and protect you and your fish.

• 10 months later...

I've bought a house with a pool, 5 years old, and the pool has 2 underwater lights.

I know zero about electricity and my bulbs in the pool keep blowing. One 3 times and the other 4 times in one year and my pool cleaner charges me 500 baht a time to change them.

2 questions,

Firstly as a matter of safety how do I know if I have a RCD unit fitted ? Would it be in the pool house ? Maybe I should post a pic of the equipment in the pool house.

Secondly why do my bulbs keep blowing ? I'm presuming they are halogen, should I buy new light units with LED bulbs ?

Thanks.

Look for a device with a 'test' button on it, then when pushed shuts off all power.

The light globes are probably blowing because they're overheating. LED runs cooler and normally has heatsinks to help keep them running cooler.

It appears not to have one then. There are 2 halogen light transformers and what appears to be a small fuse box by Matsiushi Electronics.

Can one be installed retrospectively ? Where does it connect, inbetween the fuse box ?

Also as there are 2 transformers for halogen lights is changing the lights not as simple as changing the light units, does the transformers need changing also ?

Thanks.

It appears not to have one then. There are 2 halogen light transformers and what appears to be a small fuse box by Matsiushi Electronics.

Can one be installed retrospectively ? Where does it connect, inbetween the fuse box ?

Also as there are 2 transformers for halogen lights is changing the lights not as simple as changing the light units, does the transformers need changing also ?

Thanks.

There's a few different scenarios for the halogen transformers:

1) You buy 12VDC LED's with built in drivers - remove the halogen transformers and replace them with the appropriate 12V DC power supply.

2) You buy LED's with external drivers that have 220VAC input - remove the halogen transformers and replace them with the LED drivers.

3) You buy 220V LED's with built-in drivers - remove the halogen transformers and send 220V directly to each light.

Note: 1 is most preferable, 3 is the least preferable.

Yes, you can add an RCD/Safe-T-Cut device. It should go before the main feed to the pool electronics/electricals so it's protecting everything. Buy a 10mA unit, not a 30mA one - 30mA still hurts like crazy, and can still leave you with permanent injury.