Which Bank Has No Otp Necessity

Once again, I'm in the position of being away from Thailand and needing to pay a one time payment from my Bangkok Bank account to an account at Kasikorn Bank.

And once again, even though I've set it up as a transfer in the information settings for my account at BBK (did this back in March), the bloody thing is insisting that it won't go through unless I can respond to an SMS of a One time Password.

I can't use my mobile phone unless I'm in Thailand. I do not have international roaming.

I thought I'd set it up so everything would proceed smoothly this year online and with emails, but once again, seems as if BBK is blocking business transactions in the name of security.

So, I'm frustrated enough that I'll open an account an any bank at all in Thailand (once I return in October) so I can manage a once a year transfer of some money from my Thai bank to Kasikorn Bank.

But I need to be able to do it online, and no bloody OTP that I have to respond to coming to a mobile phone I'm not using!

Any recommendations for any Thai bank which I might be able to set up an account with that will simply shift money from my account to another's account, as I need once a year?

Sorry if I've rambled - just getting frustrated - again!

Sorry to hear of your problems.

But you need not change banks as it is not a Bangkok Bank problem.

What you needed to do when you set up your transfers while in Thailand

was to disable OTP.

It works fine but of course no OTP verification. We made many while out of country

to other banks/accounts we had already set up before disabling OTP

We did that when we would be out of Thailand for longer than a month.

The only slight hassle is if you want to restart OTP when you get back.

If you have the same phone# no problem but, if you have a new phone# as we did

it is a little more of a hassle. You need to take a form into your branch to change numbers.

You also must have all your possible transfer needs pre-set in your online account as you will not be able

to add accounts to transfer to ( outside ) BKB. So set these before you leave.

But the OTP you are being asked to provide is your choice when setting up

your internet banking & it may be disabled by you ( WHILE in Thailand ) Because of

course you will need to respond initially with OTP

Edited by mania

JusMe

You should be able to use Skype to contact your mobile phone provider and request international roaming for your cell phone.

I was able to with DTAC and it only cost me 20 Baht ( taken from my prepaid balance ) to activate "international" roaming and I can now receive SMS OTP from Bangkok Bank, so long as I am able to receive an AT&T signal here in the US

You can buy a pay as you go dtac sim which has international calling "Happy Go Inter". I don't know if these are easily available any more but they used to have at 7-11 It is a pay as you go number which already has the international roaming activated.

It is the pay as you go sim rather than having to register. You would have to top up though probably so best to check on the details.

was to disable OTP.

It works fine but of course no OTP verification. We made many while out of country

You also must have all your possible transfer needs pre-set in your online account as you will not be able

Thanks, Mania. I thought I'd done all that. Back in March, I deliberately set up the account for a transfer from my BBK to an account at Kasikorn. I had to use the SMS and OTP to do that.

Somehow, I thought that then I could simply make the necessary transfer when it became necessary over the summer while I'm not in Thailand.

But it seems that the bank is insisting on yet another SMS and OTP. Why did I bother setting up the account for the transfer if they want me to go through all the same hoops again in order to actually make the transfer?

I will get it all settled this time, but really want to prevent this kind of hassle again. Perhaps if I had a Kasikorn account I could simply transfer from my account to the other person's account at that bank without these hoops. Seems I can't do it from BBK.

was to disable OTP.

Thanks, Mania. I thought I'd done all that. Back in March, I deliberately set up the account for a transfer from my BBK to an account at Kasikorn. I had to use the SMS and OTP to do that.

Somehow, I thought that then I could simply make the necessary transfer when it became necessary over the summer while I'm not in Thailand.

But it seems that the bank is insisting on yet another SMS and OTP. Why did I bother setting up the account for the transfer if they want me to go through all the same hoops again in order to actually make the transfer?

I will get it all settled this time, but really want to prevent this kind of hassle again. Perhaps if I had a Kasikorn account I could simply transfer from my account to the other person's account at that bank without these hoops. Seems I can't do it from BBK.

No that is a separate issue.

Yes it required OTP to set up that new transfer & is why I said you need to set all accounts while in Thailand.

But AFTER you set them you need to go to the section on the web page & TURN OFF OTP

You set up a transfer account but you did not turn off OTP

Also as I said now you will not be able to since of course turning off OTP does require you receive one last OTP

to confirm your action. Which is why you need to be here or as others have said have international roaming on the

same number you used to set up accounts.

Turning it off is easy but also as I said when you return if you have a different cell number you need to physically go into the

branch & fill out a form. All understandable from a security point of view regarding turning off & on OTP

This security hoop can be turned off though if you so desire as we did this when we left for long periods.

When you log on you go to Settings/SMS OTP Authentication Settings/Deactivate SMS OTP Service

Edited by mania

Yes it required OTP to set up that new transfer & is why I said you need to set all accounts while in Thailand.

But AFTER you set them you need to go to the section on the web page & TURN OFF OTP

You set up a transfer account but you did not turn off OTP

Also as I said now you will not be able to since of course turning off OTP does require you receive one last OTP

to confirm your action.

Thanks, Mania. I think you're spot on with that. I set it up, but perhaps didn't change the setting for authentication OTP. Can't remember right now, although I thought I'd jumped through all the hoops. BKK seems to delight in adding more hoops!

Anyway, I'll do whatever I need to get it sorted out again this summer, and hopefully set it up again properly this time so I won't be frustrated yet again. Although, knowing BKK, they'll figure out some new way to block me blink.png

Thanks, Mania. I think you're spot on with that. I set it up, but perhaps didn't change the setting for authentication OTP. Can't remember right now, although I thought I'd jumped through all the hoops. BKK seems to delight in adding more hoops!

Anyway, I'll do whatever I need to get it sorted out again this summer, and hopefully set it up again properly this time so I won't be frustrated yet again. Although, knowing BKK, they'll figure out some new way to block me blink.png

Yes it can be frustrating at times but, on the other hand the extra security is a plus in not just Asia but other countries too.

I still like the fact that I get an email any time I log-on telling me my account has been logged onto.

Also when you think about it if someone did get access to your account you would know they were transferring money even if you do not have the

OTP active.

You might try & PM ianguygil

He works at BKB & use to post here.

I wonder if it is possible for him to maybe help you?

But the OTP you are being asked to provide is your choice when setting up your internet banking & it may be disabled by you ( WHILE in Thailand

I think the only thing "deactivate SMS OTP" does for you is prevent you from adding a new 3rd party account online (you'll have to go to the bank to add a new 3rd party).

However, once the new 3rd party account is set-up online, you should not be asked again for a OTP. At least this has been my experience with several 3rd party accounts set-up online. However, they're all to other Bangkok Bank accounts, not an external bank account. (And this experience of not being asked again for a OTP is with my settings in the "activate" mode, i.e., I've never operated in the "deactive SMS OTP" mode.)

Now, something in the back of my mind reminds me that, if you set-up a 3rd party account with paperwork/face-to-face at the bank, the first time you send money online to that account, you'll be asked for a OTP. But, my memory may be wrong.

For the OP -- if you set-up the Kasikorn account via paperwork, maybe deactivating the SMS OTP would preclude asking for a OTP when you first try to send money (but, probably not). Anyway, from the following, it seems you can deactivate by simply logging into your account, with no mention of needing a OTP to deactivate:

How can I hold or block the SMS Authentication Service?

1) Log on to Bualuang iBanking. Go to "My Settings" menu and click the "Deactivate SMS OTP Service" sub-menu.

2) Please read the note and select one of the following menus:

2.1 "Hold SMS Authentication", this will allow you to reactivate the service via Bualuang iBanking at a later date.

2.2 "Block SMS Activation", this will not allow you to un-block the service via iBanking. To un-block SMS Activation, you will need to contact Bualuang Phone at 1333 or 66 (0) 2645 5555 and complete a personal verification process.

3) Click "OK" to confirm.

Edited by JimGant

First, Mania suggested:

You might try & PM ianguygil

He works at BKB & use to post here.

I wonder if it is possible for him to maybe help you?

I have contacted Ian and he's passed along the problem to someone at the bank, so I hope it gets resolved for this year.

Now my problem is getting it figured out so I don't have the same problem recurring every summer. And I think I've become distracted from my initial question with trying to resolve the current problem. Is there a bank which does NOT require any SMS and/or OTP to do transactions over the internet?

I think the only thing "deactivate SMS OTP" does for you is prevent you from adding a new 3rd party account online (you'll have to go to the bank to add a new 3rd party).

However, once the new 3rd party account is set-up online, you should not be asked again for a OTP. At least this has been my experience with several 3rd party accounts set-up online. However, they're all to other Bangkok Bank accounts, not an external bank account. (And this experience of not being asked again for a OTP is with my settings in the "activate" mode, i.e., I've never operated in the "deactive SMS OTP" mode.)

I thought that myself, but seems it keeps asking for yet another SMS with OTP. I think I once tried some time back to deactivate the modes and then couldn't do anything without restoring contact with the mobile phone!

Anyway, from the following, it seems you can deactivate by simply logging into your account, with no mention of needing a OTP to deactivate:

How can I hold or block the SMS Authentication Service?

1) Log on to Bualuang iBanking. Go to "My Settings" menu and click the "Deactivate SMS OTP Service" sub-menu.

2) Please read the note and select one of the following menus:

2.1 "Hold SMS Authentication", this will allow you to reactivate the service via Bualuang iBanking at a later date.

2.2 "Block SMS Activation", this will not allow you to un-block the service via iBanking. To un-block SMS Activation, you will need to contact Bualuang Phone at 1333 or 66 (0) 2645 5555 and complete a personal verification process.

3) Click "OK" to confirm.

I think I did that once, and in order for the OK to go through, it required yet one more SMS with OTP! Only aftr that was it deactivated. And as I mentioned above, I don't think deactivating the SMS/OTP would permit me to make the necessary transfer using email only.

All the security seems great, but it also seems to suggest to me that Bangkok Bank thinks it must be a huge international target, which puts it at greater risk than most other banks. I can make transactions with my Canadian broker worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, while sitting in my house in Thailand; I can transfer that same amount between my brokerage and my Canadian bank; I can set up a transfer from my Canadian bank account to another person either with the same bank or another Canadian bank; I can do all this without even email contact, let alone their insistence on SMS/OTP. Why is it that international banks are not the targets that require the overburdening security that Bangkok Bank seems to think it warrants? Is money at BKK really at such a greater risk than at other banks?

Okay, rant done. Anyone know of a Thai bank which allows internet transactions but does not insist on SMS/OTP?

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do with the bank at the moment; even if you would like to change the OTP into a "Second Password" option, you need at least one time your phone for an OTP.

The only thing you could do is contact the call-center of your Thai mobile-phone-provider and ask for International Roaming.

If there is not enough balance on your phone, explain the difficulty and as soon as they release the IR roaming for you, put enough THB on your phone.

From there you can use your online-banking with OTP's.

Of course you could try through the call-center of the bank to achieve the same, but they will insist on copies of bank-book, passport, etc by fax.

Don't try to solve this by email.........you won't get an answer.

I have a new iBanking a/c and was just attempting to add a third party a/c. First OTP has to be activated by calling Bangkok Bank and keying in both ATM card number and PIN.

How insecure is that?

Another thing is their not allowing copy and paste for login. This permits keystroke logging fraud.

Bangkok Bank security seems to be way behind the major international banks.

Never really had security issues with bkk bank.

To the OP, after setting up the third party account, you have to do one transfer (with otp).

All subsequent transfers will not require the otp anymore.

Also possible from their mobile ibanking interface. No otp either there.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

To the OP, after setting up the third party account, you have to do one transfer (with otp).

All subsequent transfers will not require the otp anymore.

Monty, is that after setting up 3rd party in-person at the bank? Or after setting up on-line a 3rd party to a non-Bangkok Bank account?

Because, my experience has been, after setting up on-line a 3rd party to another Bangkok Bank account, the OTP has not been required for the initial or subsequent transfers.

Ian, where are you when we need you......smile.png

Adding 3th party account online. Never go to the bank :)

I'm pretty sure everytime after adding an account it does the otp on the first time transfer.

I also need to have done one transfer using the regular ibanking system before I am able to do a transfer to that account with the mobile ibanking system...

Most likely because the mobile system does not use the otp, would be rather useless as well to send an otp to the very same device you are using to do the transfer!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'm pretty sure everytime after adding an account it does the otp on the first time transfer.

Then, it might be my memory fading. I remember being in the States, wife in Thailand, and I (the wife afraid of computers) added a 3rd party to our joint account. Had her on speaker phone, OTP went to her cell, then I punched it in. Then, later in the month, I sent the first transfer -- but I'm sure I wasn't on the speaker phone again with the wife to receive a OTP. This matches the wife's memory too.

But, hey, I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can chime in with their experience. Also, I have set-up a non-Bangkok Bank 3rd party -- but have yet to make the initial transfer. Definitely would like to know if, like the OP, I'll be prompted for a OTP when I finally get-around to doing this (which will, like the OP, probably be when I'm SMS non-contactable back in the States).

I'm making SCB transactions online, with OTP's via 1-2-Call phone, without any hassle from UK. Though, it's VITAL you get it all set up and tested before leaving Thailand. Resolving problems when away will send you crazy.

One thing I have just noticed is that SCB's OTP's are now "TTP's" - for the first two transactions, they now use an 'OTP' each time, then it works without the need for an OTP.

One thing I have just noticed is that SCB's OTP's are now "TTP's" - for the first two transactions, they now use an 'OTP' each time, then it works without the need for an OTP.

Yeah, I saw that too on the SCB website re their "EasyNet", as I rooted-around looking for comparisons.

To increase security of your newly added third-party account, EasyNet will require you to use additional one-time passwords for your first two transactions

I still would like to get a clearer picture of Bangkok Bank's 3rd party OTP requirements....