Poor Customer Service Or Prejudice?

bonobo

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that we're talking Star of David, someone mentioned the use of the symbol before the Jewish use. A quick wiki says the Jewish origin as a meaningful symbol started about the 11th century (with earlier decorative uses). So what other cultures have used that symbol and starting when?

Remember reading somewhere that this symbol appears Ancient Hindu and Tibetan Buddhism, The only reason I remember this, was a statement that in some anicent texts the "Star of david" had a Swastica in the middle, and thinking when they wrote this text they obviously never realised the ironey it in the 20th century related to the use of both these symbols.

There is an assumption that is anti-semitism which, though probably more likely, is not the only explanation for his change in attitude. Your line

" He looked at my company shirt and kept repeating the company name that was in the front" could suggest that he has a specific problem with your company or someone else that works there that you are not aware of.

There is an assumption that is anti-semitism which, though probably more likely, is not the only explanation for his change in attitude. Your line

" He looked at my company shirt and kept repeating the company name that was in the front" could suggest that he has a specific problem with your company or someone else that works there that you are not aware of.

Maybe he thought the company was an Israeli company and was trying to place the name

• Like 1

Sounds like a really weird bloke... did he really spray you down with air-freshener? That is shocking.

I don't know if he is anti-semitic but he is definetely a nutter (and those two traits often go together)

Unless there was something else about your shirt that scared him... do you work in a fish market?

Yes, honest-to-goodness, he did. I was on the bench press, and he came up, sprayed over and around me, and made the comment that I stank.

I probably would have dropped him at that stage...

Palestine is for the people who were born in their homeland, not for immigrants from Russia or USA

FYI, many Jews have been born there over many years. There were more Jews than Arabs in Jerusalem in 1850. In 1948 most "Palestinians" were new arrivals from Syria, the Sinai and Trans-Jordan who came because of the economic environment that the Jew had created . In other words, most of the Arabs living there were recent immigrants too.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Maybe he thought the company was an Israeli company and was trying to place the name

maybe he is a defector of the israeli army... and then bonobo came with his "T-shirt", and he panicked... repeated the name again and again to see if it does ring bells...

then he tried to find out if he was jewish, by provocation etc...

he would like to stay bonobo away, not that he brings more (israeli) friends etc, and one would remember him or ask questions...

the gym-guy could be an (ex-)israeli on the run...

Edited by biggunguy

Just in case anyone wants to see the shirt, here it is (I blurred out the company name):

7739498264_481ce3653f_m.jpg

I would say 99+% would say it looks exactly like a Star of David

That does not excuse the behaviour but since you described his

fixation with the shirt I would have to say it was his problem with you.

When I google star of david they all basically look like yours.

http://www.google.co.th/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=600&q=star+of+david&oq=star+of+david&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1308.5947.0.6080.13.9.0.4.4.0.172.1041.2j7.9.0...0.0...1ac.ad0cvFuPHpA

lets stick with occams razor. Unless, of course, Occam was jewish.

It sounds like the star on the shirt was the problem, if that's the case the place is definitely not worth patronising, spend your money with people who aren't prejudiced, against anyone.

I've only ever seen anti-semitism once in Thailand, about 12 years ago in Pattaya. A Thai stallholder (on the side of the road opposite the beach), was waving at some tourists, telling them to "go Israel go", and other comments, (in broken English), while waving them away. There was no obvious indication to me how he could tell the people were Jewish or Israeli, but he wouldn't sell to them.

I'd forgotten all about this episode until I read this, guess that's what getting old does to one.

Some Thai stallholders / business operators can be anti-Israeli (note I didn't say antisemitic) for reasons borne of the less than charming behaviour exhibited by quite a lot of Israeli tourists.

• Like 1

It sounds like the star on the shirt was the problem, if that's the case the place is definitely not worth patronising, spend your money with people who aren't prejudiced, against anyone.

I've only ever seen anti-semitism once in Thailand, about 12 years ago in Pattaya. A Thai stallholder (on the side of the road opposite the beach), was waving at some tourists, telling them to "go Israel go", and other comments, (in broken English), while waving them away. There was no obvious indication to me how he could tell the people were Jewish or Israeli, but he wouldn't sell to them.

I'd forgotten all about this episode until I read this, guess that's what getting old does to one.

Some Thai stallholders / business operators can be anti-Israeli (note I didn't say antisemitic) for reasons borne of the less than charming behaviour exhibited by quite a lot of Israeli tourists.

Having spent a bit of time in Tel Aviv, I think you could say the same thing about British there. A certain class of drunken dimwits looking for fights. They like to stay at the cheaper guesthouses/dorms by the beach.

The Israelis definitely look down upon these troublemakers.

Perhaps he confused you with a Raelian. Without besmirching this group, it has a rather disturbing past.

rael%20cover2.jpg

In any case, if it is of consolation, one of my classmates who was of German extraction and had a "jewish" name was subject to some abuse growing up. Poor fellow was an aetheist despite having a Lutheran minister for a grandfather.

He did have a good outlook on it though, telling the jewish students that they owed him for his sacrifice on their behalf. Anyway, welcome to the wacky world of hate. Now that you know the operator is a nutter, no need to hang around. He'll get his one day.

Edited by geriatrickid

Palestine is for the people who were born in their homeland, not for immigrants from Russia or USA

What if they are refugees from surrounding countries such as the million or so arab jews that were expelled from their "homelands'?

The issue of "Palestine" has nothing to do with the behaviour of some European that reacted to an innocuous company logo.

When I see some of the various EU nationals wearing their national flags as designs should I react and say, why is that man wearing a cross in Thailand? Should I accuse him of being a missionary and disrespecting a non Christian country, even though the symbol has no relationship to the accusation?

I knew this gym in the late 90's. I used to work out there before being blessed with multiple kids!

From memory, he is Iranian guy married to a Thai woman. They have one son. It is their family business. Or at least was.

The shirt logo is just like the Star of David, and that's why he acted like a prick. He should have respectfully asked you to change your top.

What if they are refugees from surrounding countries such as the million or so arab jews that were expelled from their "homelands'?

The issue of "Palestine" has nothing to do with the behaviour of some European that reacted to an innocuous company logo.

When I see some of the various EU nationals wearing their national flags as designs should I react and say, why is that man wearing a cross in Thailand? Should I accuse him of being a missionary and disrespecting a non Christian country, even though the symbol has no relationship to the accusation?

Religion sick.gif

I knew this gym in the late 90's. I used to work out there before being blessed with multiple kids!

From memory, he is Iranian guy married to a Thai woman. They have one son. It is their family business. Or at least was.

The shirt logo is just like the Star of David, and that's why he acted like a prick. He should have respectfully asked you to change your top.

Interesting. I was guessing Bulgarian, one of the ex-Yugoslavian countries, or even Turkish, but Iranian would seem to fit.

Of course I did change the shirt--into my workout clothes.

so he is from a country, which is permanently threatened to be nuked by israel?

what if...

an (jewish) israeli would run a gym and a guy with the iranian flag on the t-shirt / a kefiyah (shawl) would walk in?

Edited by biggunguy

so he is from a country, which is permanently threatened to be nuked by israel?

what if...

an (jewish) israeli would run a gym and a guy with the iranian flag on the t-shirt / a kefiyah (shawl) would walk in?

If I was an Israeli Jew running a gym in Bangkok and a guy with an Iranian shirt walked in as a customer, I would welcome him, take his money, and treat him like any other customer. I would be in business to make a living, not worry about the politics back home.

I am an American, and I do business all the time with people from countries with whom the US government is not on good terms. With specific regards to Iran, for example, I went to a celebration in Vienna of a company's 175th anniversary, and I was seated with the Iranian group at the banquet. When we were served a pork main course, the Iranians were too embarrassed to say anything, so i was the one who got up and forced the issue with the hotel staff to get them something else to eat.

I just realized something which is a little funny now. When I went in on Saturday to talk to him and he was so personable and friendly, I was wearing my Petra, Jordan t-shirt.

A Jordanian shirt (actual) one day and an Israeli shirt (assumed) another day must blow his mind. :)

• Like 1

doing business with each other is maybe only half the story...

the other half is, that they feel physically threatened (by each other)...

experience has shown, that sunday zoo queues with families, strollers and their toddlers are randomly blown up by suicide bombers... and israelis are technically superior, and blamed for the most mysterious and sophisticated (ways of) murders in mankind...

there is more than the political disagreement between the civilians...

there is a fear of each other to not survive the encounter - just for the reason of nationality/religion... imo...

im not sure, that israelis would ignore that he was iranian muslim, and particularly not if he came in such a (politically or religously decorated) dress...

maybe the (non-israeli-)zionists on this threads can give their opinion, on what they would likely do...

Edited by biggunguy
  • Like 1

Change his top? That wouldn't have been been a respectful thing to ask.

(OK, obviously I get the need to wear proper workout clothes in general.)

Edited by Jingthing

doing business with each other is maybe only half the story...

the other half is, that they feel physically threatened (by each other)...

experience has shown, that sunday zoo queues with families, strollers and their toddlers are randomly blown up by suicide bombers... and israelis are technically superior, and blamed for the most mysterious and sophisticated (ways of) murders in mankind...

there is more than the political disagreement between the civilians...

there is a fear of each other to not survive the encounter - just for the reason of nationality/religion... imo...

Sorry, but I don't really buy that analogy. There was no fear involved at a gym in Pin Klao. No suicide bombers, no missile strikes.

And ex-pat Iranian married to a Thai woman and working here for 15 or 20 years has given up some of of his "Iranianness," and should have a more international outlook on life, just as I have given up some of my "Americanness" by living and working here. It is all part of being an ex-pat and living in Thailand.

You can try to bring in Palestinians and Israelis into the thread and politicize it, but to me, this is just one international ex-pat being rude to another international ex-pat, and his customer, at that. From reading the posts on this thread, I am pretty convinced of that now.

I would be semi-curious to hear his excuse for his rudeness, but bottom line is that I will be taking my business elsewhere. Even if I am not Jewish nor Israeli, I don't cotton to that type of attitude.

• Like 2