Transfering Car Ownership (Fees)

Jared

My Visa and work permit run out shortly and I want to transfer the car from my name into my father inlaws name before they expire.

My wifes settlement visa is due any time now and we will be moving back to England. Im leaving it for the father inlaw to sell once we have gone.

Does anyone know what the fees are to transfer the ownership to another person?

Why transfer it to your F in L only for him to transfer again ? Why not just sign the transfer papers and leave them blank for new owner to complete once they have paid the money ?

There could be problems with a not valid workpermit and visa at date of transfer, so I would also choose to transfer to father in law, just to prevent possible problems.

If signing the transfer papers in own name but leaving name of new owner blanc, don't forget to sign the power of atterney. But as mentioned, IMO transfer to father first in law is best.

Edited by stevenl

Thanks, so are you saying its possible to transfer the car to my father inlaw but keep his name out of the book?

Whats the power of atterny for?

also We reniewed the insurance last month and they told us we would have to cancel the insurance once we sold the car and the new owners have to take a out a new insurance, is this stanadard practice in Thailand?

Anyone have any ideas on fees, my wife was told something like 50baht per 1000baht of the cars selling valve, surely that cant be right.

Thanks, so are you saying its possible to transfer the car to my father inlaw but keep his name out of the book?

Whats the power of atterny for?

also We reniewed the insurance last month and they told us we would have to cancel the insurance once we sold the car and the new owners have to take a out a new insurance, is this stanadard practice in Thailand?

Anyone have any ideas on fees, my wife was told something like 50baht per 1000baht of the cars selling valve, surely that cant be right.

No, his name will be included in the book.

Standard practice is that the insurance stays with the car, so goes to the new owner. It could be you have an insurance with a named driver, in which case I don't know what happens to the insurance.

Thanks

Another problem that I have is my Visa runs out on the 14th, its my marrage visa that ive been reniewing for the last few years. I also have a work permit but the company is in the middle of closing down, I think its still valid. We cant collect my wifes settlement visa until the 15th and then we have a few other things to sort out before we can fly back to the UK. Im thinking of either doing a border run (15days) or a night in Singapore (30days) and returning on a tourist visa. Do you think I will still be able to use my work permit and if not will I be able to get a residency certificate on a tourist visa?

Another thing I just noticed is that the address in the car registration book is different from the address in my work permit, could that be a problem?

Thanks

Another problem that I have is my Visa runs out on the 14th, its my marrage visa that ive been reniewing for the last few years. I also have a work permit but the company is in the middle of closing down, I think its still valid. We cant collect my wifes settlement visa until the 15th and then we have a few other things to sort out before we can fly back to the UK. Im thinking of either doing a border run (15days) or a night in Singapore (30days) and returning on a tourist visa. Do you think I will still be able to use my work permit and if not will I be able to get a residency certificate on a tourist visa?

Another thing I just noticed is that the address in the car registration book is different from the address in my work permit, could that be a problem?

So go to DLT to transfer to your father in law on the 13th. Oops, will be closed, so 14th. I foresee problems here though.

Thanks but I'm not renewing the marriage visa because we're going back to the UK, minimum of 3 years.

Went to the DLT this morning and it was also shut, now not open until the 14th.

I might try the immigration office and see if they will give me a 2 week extension.