Nasa Facility In Chiang Rai - Why Not?

maidu

I just wrote a note to NASA suggesting they consider Chiang Rai for their proposed weather facility.

You can do the same: [email protected]

As you probably know, C.Rai has an unused airport overseen by Thai Air Force. Currently, it's probably one of the places naughty A.F. brass go when 'assigned to an inactive post.'

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I should be the one to apologize for the dearth of responses. It has been brought to my attention that the sad state of our little forum, and the lack of interaction, is entirely my fault.coffee1.gif Then again perhaps they just don’t know what NASA is.wink.png

I think a NASA facility in Chiang Rai would be lovely but I am not certain it would reduce the number of school field trips to the Mall to study consumerism. Science and weather don’t seem to have the same glamor and appeal.wink.png

no opinions, no responses. Oh well, (collective yawn).

I am guessing

Chiang Rai or Phuket no difference what folks think would be good.

It is still the Thai Government that has to allow them to set up shop on Thai soil.

I think it comes down to distrust both by the Thai government & their neighbors

regarding what all is actually done long term from that shop if allowed.

Whether that is a valid concern or not is ultimately not something I worry about.

Where's the unused airport Maidu ? . where not talking about the Old Airport in town are we ?

I think the Chinese Would be a little bit paranoid about an agency of the US Government setting up shop so close to them and Thailand wouldn't want to upset the Chinese.

Now is VF paranoid too ? w00t.gif .......... Who knows ermm.gif ........... Who cares smile.png

as for School field Trips, my Kids get to Visit Rajapat and Mae Fa Luang University's mostly and get to the Mall or Big C on the way back so its not all as it seems, even if your proficient in all things Thai, like your good self

Edited by jubby

Thanks for acknowledging my good self and my proficiencies.thumbsup.gif We do our best not to disappoint.tongue.pngbiggrin.png

well try to have positive thoughts and cut back on the Alcohol consumption . Alcohol can make one depressed and I know the local brew can cause acute paranoia , Schizophrenia etc. ... wink.png

Thanks for acknowledging my good self and my proficiencies.thumbsup.gif We do our best not to disappoint.tongue.pngbiggrin.png

well try to have positive thoughts and cut back on the Alcohol consumption . Alcohol can make one depressed and I know the local brew can cause acute paranoia , Schizophrenia etc. ... wink.png

You know quite well that I don’t drink, unlike many in these parts, so perhaps you should take your own advice.tongue.pngbiggrin.png

You know quite well that I don’t drink, unlike many in these parts, so perhaps you should take your own advice.tongue.pngbiggrin.png

I know only that you portray yourself to be tee-total but who really knows ; I mean I don't have a sweet tooth and don't generally eat Pie but no one would believe me so I won't mention it smile.png .......

Anyway, where's this Airport ?

Sorry maidu, I tried to promote your post but as usual somebody tried to make it about me.coffee1.gif

Just having a laugh. Lighten up. Its not all about you. you did give out the Ammo.

And I did detect an Hint of Paranoia in your post.

Edited by jubby

Sorry maidu, I tried to promote your post but as usual somebody tried to make it about me.coffee1.gif

Just having a laugh. Lighten up. Its not all about you. you did give out the Ammo.

And I did detect an Hint of Paranoia in your post.

You'd think he'd thank you Jubby, after all he wants every post to be about him! Or is that only if people worship him, agree with everything he says and massages his ego?!

Reason for edit...Envy and pity aren't the same thing.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by skybluestu

What's going on?!. You folks act like you're married to each other, jeezo.

The 'old airport' or 'sanam bin gaow' in Thai, is located south of downtown, about 2 Km. When not raining, there are many local folks there in late afternoons. Very pleasant.

I went there 13 years ago to inquire about putting up a plywood ramp for skateboarders. With an interpreter, we spoke with the top Air Force Commandant there. He was so bored and lonely, I thought he might curl up and get rigor mortis. He said I had to formally petition AF HQ in Bangkok (fat chance of that gaining results, eh?). His reasoning: the airport is a stand-by facility, in case it's needed by the military (to counter attack Burma in case of a border dispute?). Of course, that purpose falls to the wayside when Toyota wants to set up giant tents and zip its cars around the tarmac for its 3-day promotions, or a Chinese exposition commandeers the place for a week or two. Yet, no room for a 4 sq.meter plywood thing (far from the main runway) for kids to have fun with their skateboards.

I guess that explains why it wasn't built on. cannot recall seeing a Control tower but I suppose I wasn't looking.

thanks for that maidu. hope you found an alternative place to practice your Skateboarding

It wasn't for me to skateboard. I went as far, in the pioneering days of skateboarding, of taking apart roller skates with their small metal wheels, and screwing them on the bottom of a board, then going straight down the biggest street hill me and my brothers could find. Early 1960's.

Skateboarding in C.Rai can be seen at the park at the old jail site. If anyone wants to build and donate a special ramp/device, I'm sure the kids there would be most appreciative.