Two Killed, 23 Injured In Phuket-Bound Bus Accident

webfact

Two killed, 23 injured in Phuket-bound bus accident

THE NATION

PHETCHABURI: -- A Phuket-bound bus overturned on the Phetkasem Road in Phetchaburi's Muang district, killing two passengers and injuring 23 others, police said.

The accident happened at 8:30 am.

One of the killed victims was identified as Tuanjai Desanok.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-10

Between most of the busses being so top heavy, driver error, excessive speed and poor maintenance, is there a wonder why there are so many bus accidents here? When is there going to be a bus company "crackdown?"

Between most of the busses being so top heavy, driver error, excessive speed and poor maintenance, is there a wonder why there are so many bus accidents here? When is there going to be a bus company "crackdown?"

Every time there is an accident there is a crackdown, so basically there is a crackdown every day, talk is cheap, its all well and good saying what they can do to improve but starting with a driving test that actually tests someones ability to drive would be good, parking in cones does not show someone is ready to hurtle down a tollway.

Every time there is an accident there is a crackdown, so basically there is a crackdown every day, talk is cheap, its all well and good saying what they can do to improve but starting with a driving test that actually tests someones ability to drive would be good, parking in cones does not show someone is ready to hurtle down a tollway.

How can you say that? Where is there an article that states anything about a "crackdown" like so many articles on other topics? There should be roadside safety inspections of busses. And I don't read about busses crashing on tollways, they usually turn on their side somewhere out in the country from being top heavy and taking a curve in the road too fast.

Irrespective of 'crackdowns' the road carnage in Thailand is simply a disgrace. Idiots at the wheel in true Jekyll and Hide personalities. Wai Jai when face to face - put a Thai behind the wheel (of any vehicle) and all logic, manners and respect are gone. Put them in a bus and you have a recipe for accidents waiting to happen, and it will continue - rest assured.

How can you say that? Where is there an article that states anything about a "crackdown" like so many articles on other topics? There should be roadside safety inspections of busses. And I don't read about busses crashing on tollways, they usually turn on their side somewhere out in the country from being top heavy and taking a curve in the road too fast.

don't be pedantic, of course I am exaggerating, that is obvious, but there are constant crackdowns here that mean diddly squat.

i also never said buses crash on tollways, I simply point out that people can do this after only having to show they can stop their car in some cones, and that is is, have you done the driving test here? I have

In all honesty the Thai driving test does not equip anybody to drive safely on roads along with other road users. I have no idea, however, what tests bus drivers and the like take. To me they seem to drive in a selfish bubble with complete disregard to not only their own safety but to others as well, from A to B as fast as possible. I always leave plenty of braking space between me and the vehicle infront as I am well aware how tail-gating is a national pastime. To a Thai driver this safety zone is known as 'weaving space' and it chips off an extra few seconds on journey time. I used to utter expletives with gay abandon when I first began driving here but now I just see all this road lunacy as normal. One thing that does wind me up though, and if you drive up Highway 2 often enough you will know what I mean, are buses (and other vehicles) who insist on staying in the right lane, this forces all and sundry to overtake on the left and when the left lane is a no go area its just madness.

Anyway, as an advanced and professional driver, in my humble opinion nothing will change as regards road safety until the way they test people changes and there are stricter regulations on not only road use but on bus companies and who actually gets behind the wheel. Sadly, I think it will be a long time coming.

If I have to take a bus it will be Nakhornchai Air or I will take a train.

Not so long ago I did watch a documentary about the way some companies in LOS do "build" buses and coaches. I'm searching the internet to find a link of it and will post it for sure.

Maybe some of the readers or members here have seen the video as well. If by any chance you would have seen it and you have the link, I'd kindly ask you to post it here as well.

Some of the people here might start thinking twice before they put a foot on(in) those fancy looking coffins.

Except for that, the proven lack of respect for other road users, disrespect for any kind of regulation, there's still the alcohol and all kind of drug related stuff drivers use to overcome the boring driving..

It's such a tragedy every time again and still I don't see progress.

For now, my thoughts go to the victims and their relatives.

The police are too busy taking the Damapong Dime to give a dam_n...

Not so long ago I did watch a documentary about the way some companies in LOS do "build" buses and coaches. I'm searching the internet to find a link of it and will post it for sure.

Maybe some of the readers or members here have seen the video as well. If by any chance you would have seen it and you have the link, I'd kindly ask you to post it here as well.

Some of the people here might start thinking twice before they put a foot on(in) those fancy looking coffins.

Except for that, the proven lack of respect for other road users, disrespect for any kind of regulation, there's still the alcohol and all kind of drug related stuff drivers use to overcome the boring driving..

This the one? http://www.channel4.com/news/the-undocumented-dangers-of-thailands-roads

How can you say that? Where is there an article that states anything about a "crackdown" like so many articles on other topics? There should be roadside safety inspections of busses. And I don't read about buses crashing on tollways, they usually turn on their side somewhere out in the country from being top heavy and taking a curve in the road too fast.

The police are too busy taking the Damapong Dime to give a dam_n...

Of course they don't care unless there's money to be collected. And every crackdown I've ever read about on anything, lasts about three weeks... It is more the responsibility of the Land Transport Office to inspect buses before they are renewed for license, but who knows how many unlicensed buses there are. There are a lot of these bus crashes, glad I don't ride them, although I am concerned for those who have to.

This the one? http://www.channel4....thailands-roads

I tried to open the link you provided but for some reason it kept hanging. So instead I tried the title on Youtube and found it over there. I could be mistaken but the footage found there seems only be a small part of what I believe I have seen about building of some of the buses and coaches in Thailand.

Nevertheless it still serves as a sound wake up call for all "wannabe" adrenaline junkies.

For all you readers who can't open the link provided by skybluestu (thank you very much for your much appreciated input, btw), here's the one from youtube.com :

For many other video's I'd say : enjoy it ! Seen the circumstances however it would be really inappropriate.

I tried to open the link you provided but for some reason it kept hanging. So instead I tried the title on Youtube and found it over there. I could be mistaken but the footage found there seems only be a small part of what I believe I have seen about building of some of the buses and coaches in Thailand.

Nevertheless it still serves as a sound wake up call for all "wannabe" adrenaline junkies.

For all you readers who can't open the link provided by skybluestu (thank you very much for your much appreciated input, btw), here's the one from youtube.com :

For many other video's I'd say : enjoy it ! Seen the circumstances however it would be really inappropriate.

They driver says, "I didn't do anything wrong, I just stopped in the middle of the road to do a U turn and we were hit." Sounds pretty careless and a total disregard for passenger safety to me. Stopping in the middle of a busy 6 line highway exposing the passengers to thai drivers travelling at 100+ kms per hour. I have lost count of the times of have been confronted by drivers travelling at speed down the wrong side of the road flashing thier light, my wife tells me that means you have to get out of thier way and you can do it. Sure there are road rules here but they seem to be a guide only and not followed. Intersections and you have a green light but have to wait for the traffic going through red lights is far to common, being passed on the left whilst doing a left hand turn with your indicators on then being abused by the other driver because he almost collides with you. <deleted>.

and if you drive up Highway 2 often enough you will know what I mean, are buses (and other vehicles) who insist on staying in the right lane,t

On that road the one that always get my ringpiece quivering in fear is seeing a line of about 8 of those "Finding Nemo/Hanuman/Disney Character" stickered knackered old pieces of shit with more lights than a Close Encounters mothership travelling flat out in convoy with about a gnat's cock stopping distance between them.

• Like 1

never or at least not a meaningful one ...remember that wealthy own the buses .....same as in the pi ....the ferries all owned by super rich ...safety very poor ....
  • Like 1

The construction

Poorly built roads; cheap asphalt with poorly laid bedrock and aggregate. No maintenance for those roads after they are constructed. No reflectors on the lane dividers. No lighting. No reflective paint used. Any precipitation of rain makes the road a black mask and dangerous at best for even the cleanest windshield and newly installed wiper blades. This is merely considering that you are the only one on the road.

The Usage

Gross weight tonnage hurtling down these freeways will hit a slight depression and the rebounding weight of these vehicles will multiply, crushing down upon the road surface that is not designed for this kind of weight. Potholes are created.

The Occupants

Massive amounts of truck traffic describes gross tonnage vehicles that either hurtle down these roads at breakneck speed, suddenly shifting into the fast lane without any warning, or simply poking along at 20 to 40 kph. The large percentage of these vehicles have little or no lighting at their rear. One does not know they are approaching a truck until that black, square shape materializes into the rear end of a truck and then all bets are off on how that truck will proceed forward or change lanes at the time you are passing it. These trucks drive anywhere they wish: in the lane proper, straddling the lanes, on the shoulder, it matters not. They pull out in the face of traffic without a care, or make a sudden turn across three of four lanes without a care or any warning. Add to this the other factors and you will understand that operating a car or small truck on these roads is a bet against your life is you are not streetwise.

Any inroad, whether designed by the engineer or manufactured by the locals, creates a panic when approaching these because Thais seem to demonstrate that they have no spacial skills or fear for the consequences when they suddenly dart out in front of oncoming traffic; motorbikes, three wheeled buggies, and the like. They also must, for some reason, come to a complete stop in the middle of the freeway when they decide to make a turn, or straddle an exit ramp for a U-Turn, effectively obstructing the fast lane of traffic. And lets not overlook the irritating and dangerous motorbike riders who suddenly swing out into the fast lane at 5 kph in order to bootleg to the front of the turn lane queue.

I am describing highway 36 between Sukhumvit and the Highway 7 exchange.

They driver says, "I didn't do anything wrong, I just stopped in the middle of the road to do a U turn and we were hit." Sounds pretty careless and a total disregard for passenger safety to me. Stopping in the middle of a busy 6 line highway exposing the passengers to thai drivers travelling at 100+ kms per hour. I have lost count of the times of have been confronted by drivers travelling at speed down the wrong side of the road flashing thier light, my wife tells me that means you have to get out of thier way and you can do it. Sure there are road rules here but they seem to be a guide only and not followed. Intersections and you have a green light but have to wait for the traffic going through red lights is far to common, being passed on the left whilst doing a left hand turn with your indicators on then being abused by the other driver because he almost collides with you. <deleted>.

Your statement sounds very familiar and I guess I won't be the only one out here to second that.

never or at least not a meaningful one ...remember that wealthy own the buses .....same as in the pi ....the ferries all owned by super rich ...safety very poor ....

There you have the whole problems of Thailand in a nuthell and why nothing improves. That is why the railways have never been developed in Thailand, the buses are owned by the fabously wealthy (amart). Look at construction look at food look at banking etc the basic needs of this nation are all controlled by the few. Nothing changing soon

Any foreigner driving here has to be extremely careful - you cannot assume that the other drivers know what they are doing or are even properly trained in hadling their vehicle - whatever it may be.

Having said that, and despite many others having bad experiences with drivers having no respectfor others on the road, I can say that driving in Australia and other western countries, if the traffic volume was the same as here, you could NEVER cross heavily congested roads, as nobody would even consider slowing to let you turn or whatever, whereas in Bangkok, I regularly find that drivers will actually slow and stop to let you cross their path - try that on say Mona Vale Road in Sydney - you will be abused and have horns blasting at you for being a complete arsehol_e... so although yes, the roads here can be very dangerous, its not all completely bad.

The only piece of advice after driving here for about 15 years - assume everyone else is an idiot until proven otherwise - and ALWAYS make extra allowance for stopping distances in front AND behind your vehicle.

• Like 1

Any foreigner driving here has to be extremely careful - you cannot assume that the other drivers know what they are doing or are even properly trained in hadling their vehicle - whatever it may be.

Having said that, and despite many others having bad experiences with drivers having no respectfor others on the road, I can say that driving in Australia and other western countries, if the traffic volume was the same as here, you could NEVER cross heavily congested roads, as nobody would even consider slowing to let you turn or whatever, whereas in Bangkok, I regularly find that drivers will actually slow and stop to let you cross their path - try that on say Mona Vale Road in Sydney - you will be abused and have horns blasting at you for being a complete arsehol_e... so although yes, the roads here can be very dangerous, its not all completely bad.

The only piece of advice after driving here for about 15 years - assume everyone else is an idiot until proven otherwise - and ALWAYS make extra allowance for stopping distances in front AND behind your vehicle.

Please explain to us how we can make space behind us, when if we try and leave some there will always some crazy local who will dive into said space in a microsecond. As far as they are concerned they own all the space around you and the space you are actually in as well, because you are Farang and you shouldn't be in their space !