Cheese

kerryk

After living in Thailand for almost a year I have found most things to my liking and I think have adapted quite well.

There was however one area that I just couldn’t adjust to. The lack of a decent cheddar cheese.

I like English cheddars or Vermont cheddar or a whole variety of cheddar if it is sharp and crumbly.

And I surly love them with a pint at the end of the day.

I tried and tried but to no avail. I read all the posts about cheese and tried most of the suggestions but there was never a happy ending to my quest.

As the weather has gotten cooler here my system was crying out for a good cheddar cheese. My system did not seem so imbalanced in the hot season.

Yesterday, as is my daily routine I went to the Tops grocery store in the Central department store mall more commonly known as Sentan. I picked up a package of cheese that said Premium Mainland quality “Vintage” an extra sharp mature cheddar with a crumbly texture. It says it is aged 18 months.

It is without a doubt the best cheese I have tasted in Thailand and a very reputable product in any country.

I feel whole again. I have found cheese.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Origin is New Zealand, correct?

I've been getting it at Kasems for many years. :o

certainly is a kiwi cheese .They used to have great adverts on TV.I grabbed 6 x .5 kgs blocks on my last visit home. :D

You can also get it at Lotus.

Edited by chuchok

And Makro usually have large (and relatively cheap per-kilo) blocks of Anchor cheddar, fine for cooking with, and bulk-feeding to the rug-rats. :D Doesn't do much for my diet, sadly :o

Rimping-ChangPuak used to have a very good range of imported cheeses, but we now shop at the new 2nd-Ring-Road branch, where the range seems smaller ? Also they don't yet stock the personal-favourite Pie-Sabai frozen-pies/quiches.

Rimping has a good selection nowadays- including the King of cheeses- Stilton!! although at 1,700 B\kg not for every week!

:o Fosa

Hmmm English Stilton. now I'll have to pop off to Rimping tomorrow to get some. The bad thing is that the wife likes it too.The good thing is that she's away. :D

Hmmm English Stilton. now I'll have to pop off to Rimping tomorrow to get some. The bad thing is that the wife likes it too.The good thing is that she's away. :o

I am not in Chiangmai..........or even Thailand! But I saw this thread and being a Cheese lover also (and being near France is a good thing for this!) I thought I would also declare my particuler LOVE of Blue Cheeses. The smellier and riper the better!! :D

One quick cheese related story. I was in a Farang bar in Bangkok (forget the name, but serves "real" western food)............I ordered a Cheddar Cheese and Pickle sandwich. The waitress came back and said "no have pickle". So with me seeing they also had Tuna and Mayonaise sandwiches on the menu, just ordered a "Cheese and Mayonaise" (a la carte!).

The waitress seemed unsure, then went off to check and came back to double check this is what I really wanted.

I just put this down to me having ordered something not on the Menu, but when the food arrived the waitress and other staff came over to have a look at me eating this strange concoction. I already knew that Farang are keener on dairy products than the Thais, but I found it so very strange and amusing that this could be viewed as something new and very strange to them - given that they worked in a Farang Bar / Restaurant ...............on Soi 4!!

Hmmm English Stilton. now I'll have to pop off to Rimping tomorrow to get some. The bad thing is that the wife likes it too.The good thing is that she's away. :o

I am not in Chiangmai..........or even Thailand! But I saw this thread and being a Cheese lover also (and being near France is a good thing for this!) I thought I would also declare my particuler LOVE of Blue Cheeses. The smellier and riper the better!! :D

One quick cheese related story. I was in a Farang bar in Bangkok (forget the name, but serves "real" western food)............I ordered a Cheddar Cheese and Pickle sandwich. The waitress came back and said "no have pickle". So with me seeing they also had Tuna and Mayonaise sandwiches on the menu, just ordered a "Cheese and Mayonaise" (a la carte!).

The waitress seemed unsure, then went off to check and came back to double check this is what I really wanted.

I just put this down to me having ordered something not on the Menu, but when the food arrived the waitress and other staff came over to have a look at me eating this strange concoction. I already knew that Farang are keener on dairy products than the Thais, but I found it so very strange and amusing that this could be viewed as something new and very strange to them - given that they worked in a Farang Bar / Restaurant ...............on Soi 4!!

Even a dairy lover like me thinks cheese and mayo a weird mixture! You must have been desparate for something western. I do hope you enjoyed it!

Origin is New Zealand, correct?

I've been getting it at Kasems for many years. :o

Yes I think it is Kiwi but there is a sticker over that information. It is 149 Bht for 250 g net.

Definatly a Kiwi cheese mate.The word Mainland is a type of slang for the South Island. :D

fosa, I've not gone yet..anticipation is growing. :D

Mainland%20Cheese.jpg

Edited by chuchok

And Makro usually have large (and relatively cheap per-kilo) blocks of Anchor cheddar,

Makro are doing a special at the moment.

Buy one 2kg block and get a 2kg block of Gloucester FREE

Thats 4kg of chesse for 760 baht

The Gloucester is labelled as cheddar but looks and tastes like Gloucester.

When the Gloucester runs out the offer will end.

And Makro usually have large (and relatively cheap per-kilo) blocks of Anchor cheddar,

Makro are doing a special at the moment.

Buy one 2kg block and get a 2kg block of Gloucester FREE

Thats 4kg of chesse for 760 baht

The Gloucester is labelled as cheddar but looks and tastes like Gloucester.

When the Gloucester runs out the offer will end.

Is it local Thai brand?

This place (Food Glorious Food) was recommended by a friend in BKKand has some cheeses that I haven't seen in places like Rim Ping. I haven't shopped there, but they claim to ship anywhere in Thailand and their prices aren't too bad.

I too am a cheese lover, but it's bloody expensive here in LOS :o .

Edited by JXXXL

I've been buying the Mainland brand for some time now (Gouda, Vintage and Edam). The Vintage works quite well in making macaroni and cheese (just a pain to grait). What I really miss is US Colby Longhorn cheese - a whole wheel would make me very happy about now.

I think it's a myth that cheese is more expensive here than in farangland. I too, love Mainland Vintage (yes, it is a Kiwi cheese).

I live in Bangkok and regularly buy it for around 140bht from my local convenience store on Suk 13.

I'm actually in Australia on business at the moment and see that it costs nearly A$4 or 120bt from the major supermarkets.

So . .a 20 baht premium to get it to Thailand? I'm not complaining.

I picked up a package of cheese that said Premium Mainland quality “Vintage” an extra sharp mature cheddar with a crumbly texture. It says it is aged 18 months.

It is without a doubt the best cheese I have tasted in Thailand and a very reputable product in any country.

My personal favourite too kerryk. :o

In Pattaya you can buy it at Carrefour, Foodland, Friendship, and Tops.

The best place I've found for a selection of cheap cheeses is the little cheese factory down the soi before the Siam Commercial Bank on the way to Lotus Hang Dong. Not the easiest place to find but cheaper than the supermarkets - think the place is called decheesio or something like that.

The best place I've found for a selection of cheap cheeses is the little cheese factory down the soi before the Siam Commercial Bank on the way to Lotus Hang Dong. Not the easiest place to find but cheaper than the supermarkets - think the place is called decheesio or something like that.

If you do a search, their menu/price list is on this forum.Cheese is only ok IMO.They do really well considering the crap milk they have to use.Also, lots of other yummy things on offer there.

Also, lots of other yummy things on offer there.

In the last year, I've tried quite a few things from Decheeso, primarily because they deliver...

Some of the meats are okay, but most of it has been frozen for a long time. Their pastry is pure crap.... dry as a bone, or poorly (cheaply) made. Best to see what they have before you buy, but they do have a few gems, like different-flower honeys and some good organic shampoos.. And some decent hot dogs and breads... Mostly, it seems like their stuff has been sitting around for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.. We were trying to find Dacheso (spelling?) the other day and couldn't find it. We were looking for yogurt. Also, we agree with you all that the NZ cheese is pretty good.

Has anyone noticed that some of the hard cheese you get here taste and smell like soap? Yuck...

• 4 months later...

Just back from TOPS at the Airport Plaza with some imported English cheese labelled Singletons. Various flavours available e.g. Red Leicester, Mature Cheddar. A bit pricey at 259 baht per block but yummy, yummy, yummy, I love my tummy…..got to eat now. :o:D

Thanks.. We were trying to find Dacheso (spelling?) the other day and couldn't find it. We were looking for yogurt.

Art Cafe at Thapae Gate is owned by Decheeso and they sell some of the products like yogurt there.

They can give you good directions to the retail store too. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.